C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Any fix for the sagging sunshade issue?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Any fix for the sagging sunshade issue?

This is a very minor aesthetic issue, but it is annoying. My C300, and many other C-Class cars I've looked at, have excess slack in the forward section of the sunroof shade. When closed, the shade sags a bit and starts to show wrinkles in the fabric. I have a light colored headliner, and it's very obvious. The black headliners don't show the sagging as much.

My dealer looked at this, saw it as an issue, but found no way to adjust the tension in the shade. The only option she could offer was a total replacement of the shade assembly ... a major job that would involve the complete removal of the headliner. Since there is apparently no adjustment in the shade unit itself, she also felt there was no guarantee that a new unit would fit any better than what I had. She also inspected all the C-Class vehicles in stock, and found a huge variation between cars, with some much worse than mine and others much better.

Has anyone with this issue been able to get it fixed by your dealer? Not a big deal, but it is annoying and doesn't look good at all. Functionally, the shade works perfectly, so it's purely a cosmetic issue.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C400
Just keep the shade open at all times! ;-)

In all honesty though, I have not noticed it in my C400 as I do tend to have the shade open about 90% of the time so far. That will change very soon though as the 90+ degree days in Phoenix have begun. It's disappointing to hear that a potential fix would have to be the removal of the entire headliner and replace the shade, and even that may not fix it.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C3004W
I doubt that I will much use the shade. On a hot day the car will get really hot with or without it. And the shade lets a lot of light thru in any event. On hot days I will wish I had the vented seats.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205
Originally Posted by puzzled
I doubt that I will much use the shade. On a hot day the car will get really hot with or without it. And the shade lets a lot of light thru in any event. On hot days I will wish I had the vented seats.
I just wish for a hot day... sigh NewEnglandWeather
Old 03-18-2015, 11:52 AM

06 E350 4-matic, 96 C280
Sliding sunroof lining

Are you referring to the Sliding sunroof lining?
If so, it can be easily removed and take the panel to an upholstery shop and they will re-do it for under $50.00
Check other posts for removing Sliding sunroof lining.
I have W202 and W211. I am not sure about the W204
I have done it on the W202 and it is very easy and you just have to unclip brackets that hold the Sliding sunroof lining to the sunroof while in Tilt position then open the sunroof and by hand pull the Sliding sunroof lining and it will come out thru the roof.
Good luck
Old 03-18-2015, 12:18 PM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
Glad I swapped the Pano roof out for a glass sliding sunroof
Old 03-18-2015, 01:14 PM

2015 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Originally Posted by StanNH
This is a very minor aesthetic issue, but it is annoying. My C300, and many other C-Class cars I've looked at, have excess slack in the forward section of the sunroof shade. When closed, the shade sags a bit and starts to show wrinkles in the fabric. I have a light colored headliner, and it's very obvious. The black headliners don't show the sagging as much.

My dealer looked at this, saw it as an issue, but found no way to adjust the tension in the shade. The only option she could offer was a total replacement of the shade assembly ... a major job that would involve the complete removal of the headliner. Since there is apparently no adjustment in the shade unit itself, she also felt there was no guarantee that a new unit would fit any better than what I had. She also inspected all the C-Class vehicles in stock, and found a huge variation between cars, with some much worse than mine and others much better.

Has anyone with this issue been able to get it fixed by your dealer? Not a big deal, but it is annoying and doesn't look good at all. Functionally, the shade works perfectly, so it's purely a cosmetic issue.
Stan- Could you show us a picture of the issue? Would like to compare with mine. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jchungster
Stan- Could you show us a picture of the issue? Would like to compare with mine. Thanks!
Here it is:

Old 03-18-2015, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by abozaid
Are you referring to the Sliding sunroof lining?
If so, it can be easily removed and take the panel to an upholstery shop and they will re-do it for under $50.00
Check other posts for removing Sliding sunroof lining.
I have W202 and W211. I am not sure about the W204
I have done it on the W202 and it is very easy and you just have to unclip brackets that hold the Sliding sunroof lining to the sunroof while in Tilt position then open the sunroof and by hand pull the Sliding sunroof lining and it will come out thru the roof.
Good luck
This doesn't sound anything like the W205 sunroof shade, which is not attached to the sunroof at all.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:47 PM

2015 Mercedes Benz C300 Sport
Here it is:
Oh wow, that is more significant than I had thought. I have black so maybe I have not noticed it yet but definitely curious now and will check out.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
I can't imagine why it can't simply be pulled out of the front channel, pulled taut and reinstalled but who knows. Have you tried messing with it yourself Stan? Many times I've had more success figuring stuff like this out myself rather than bringing the car to the dealer.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BlackjackM
I can't imagine why it can't simply be pulled out of the front channel, pulled taut and reinstalled but who knows. Have you tried messing with it yourself Stan? Many times I've had more success figuring stuff like this out myself rather than bringing the car to the dealer.
The front and rear shades are one piece and work together off a single roller. The rear section is tight, but the front one moves too far forward and basically crushes against the front stop in the roof. If I stop it before it's fully closed, it will stay taut. As soon as it closes all the way, it bunches up.

There's no adjustment, and no way into it without removing the entire headliner. I've decided to trade for a new C300 next month, so I won't waste any more time trying to get this fixed. The odd thing is that some of the cars on my dealer's lot were even worse than mine.

I've never had any mechanical issues with this car, but all the cosmetic defects have me just shaking my head in disbelief. How does stuff like this even leave the factory?
Old 03-19-2015, 02:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
I just got my car back from the service centre yesterday. The issue was a torn rear sunshade on the pano roof. They did have to remove the headliner to do the repair.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:17 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
Stan, sounds like the shade sagged when the car was delivered, is that right or did it developed overtime?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by miketc
Stan, sounds like the shade sagged when the car was delivered, is that right or did it developed overtime?
It was loose when delivered, but the wrinkling is getting worse with use.

If wrinkles are a sign of character, this car has plenty of character.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:26 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Answer to a question I never asked

Originally Posted by chicagofan00
Just keep the shade open at all times! ;-)

In all honesty though, I have not noticed it in my C400 as I do tend to have the shade open about 90% of the time so far. That will change very soon though as the 90+ degree days in Phoenix have begun. It's disappointing to hear that a potential fix would have to be the removal of the entire headliner and replace the shade, and even that may not fix it.
Originally Posted by puzzled
For me, a sunroof of any kind is an answer to a question I never asked. I still don't know what that question is.

The only car that I ever drove that had a sunroof was what Germans call a "Combi". A Combi is a cross between a station wagon and a really small minivan. (This was before crossover SUVs.) Opening the sunshade on this vehicle exposed a sunroof that spanned the entire area over the entire passenger compartment. I don't think it opened, but it was indeed dramatic. It was pleasant to drive with as much exposure to the sky as in a convertible, but without the wind buffeting. However, the weather was warm and muggy. As soon as the sun fell on one of us, it would be so warm that I would have to shut the sunshade.

When I ordered my first MB (a 2007 C2804MATIC) in 02/06, one of the advantages of European delivery for me was that I could avoid the sunroof package. Every C-Class in the U.S. had the sunroof package as a "mandatory option." In the case of the 2015 C-Class, many reviewers have stated that the sunroof takes away about two inches from the already inadequate headroom in the rear seat.

Until recently, I thought that only smokers had a valid reason for a sunroof (provided that it opened). However, when I was shopping for my C300, I saw so many coal-black interiors that it occurred to me that maybe owners with black interiors need the light that a sunroof brings into the car. Some years ago, my wife and I rented a car in Germany to take one of her grandsons on a ski vacation. It was in the darkest days of the year, in late December, and the car had a black interior. Most of the grandson's clothing was black. All three of us were often finding clothing bits he had left in the car, including after we said goodbye to him.

I realize this doesn't help out StanNH at all. But I would appreciate it if some readers could let me in on the secret of the near universal appeal of the sunroof.

Last edited by gfmohn; 03-19-2015 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-20-2015, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gfmohn
For me, a sunroof of any kind is an answer to a question I never asked. I still don't know what that question is.

The only car that I ever drove that had a sunroof was what Germans call a "Combi". A Combi is a cross between a station wagon and a really small minivan. (This was before crossover SUVs.) Opening the sunshade on this vehicle exposed a sunroof that spanned the entire area over the entire passenger compartment. I don't think it opened, but it was indeed dramatic. It was pleasant to drive with as much exposure to the sky as in a convertible, but without the wind buffeting. However, the weather was warm and muggy. As soon as the sun fell on one of us, it would be so warm that I would have to shut the sunshade.

When I ordered my first MB (a 2007 C2804MATIC) in 02/06, one of the advantages of European delivery for me was that I could avoid the sunroof package. Every C-Class in the U.S. had the sunroof package as a "mandatory option." In the case of the 2015 C-Class, many reviewers have stated that the sunroof takes away about two inches from the already inadequate headroom in the rear seat.

Until recently, I thought that only smokers had a valid reason for a sunroof (provided that it opened). However, when I was shopping for my C300, I saw so many coal-black interiors that it occurred to me that maybe owners with black interiors need the light that a sunroof brings into the car. Some years ago, my wife and I rented a car in Germany to take one of her grandsons on a ski vacation. It was in the darkest days of the year, in late December, and the car had a black interior. Most of the grandson's clothing was black. All three of us were often finding clothing bits he had left in the car, including after we said goodbye to him.

I realize this doesn't help out StanNH at all. But I would appreciate it if some readers could let me in on the secret of the near universal appeal of the sunroof.
Glad to help:

"When you are unhappy, the Devil wears a grin
But oh, he starts a-running when the light comes pouring in
I know he'll be unhappy 'cause I'll never wear a frown
Maybe if we keep on smiling he'll get tired of hangin' around

So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin
Smilers never lose and frowners never win
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in."
Old 03-20-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Smile Letting the sunshine in

Glad to help:

"When you are unhappy, the Devil wears a grin
But oh, he starts a-running when the light comes pouring in
I know he'll be unhappy 'cause I'll never wear a frown
Maybe if we keep on smiling he'll get tired of hangin' around

Smilers never lose and frowners never win
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in."
Coming from you, I accept this message. You have walked your talk. Thank you.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:25 AM

E90 335i
wow that pic gives me OCD car guy nightmares.... that would drive me insane.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:18 AM

S205
Looking at that photo, the fabric of both headliner and blind seems quite different to what is fitted to my own car. Can anyone else with a Euro built car chime in with a second opinion?

With over 3 months ownership and use, there is not even the slightest hint of any sagging in my car. Lining is straight as can be.

Here it is:

Old 03-20-2015, 11:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2018 E300 Lux, 2006 Corvette Z51, 2015 Mercedes ML350 (wife's)
It definitely looks like the problem is in the corner of the shade, it's hitting the headliner and causing the middle to become loose and bunched up. I wonder if a simple spacer under the track of the shade (or in the headliner to push it down 1/4 inch) would help clear that corner.
Old 03-20-2015, 01:41 PM

C300 model 2015
sagging sunshade

Seems to me this is "defect" that is unacceptable...I would insist the dealer fix it.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:49 PM

S205
Photo on the right is from my car. The sun shade material appears to be a different type of fabric.

Without meaning to put the US spec type of material down, it looks a bit like sackcloth, while the Euro spec material is looking (and feeling) more elastic.

Last edited by Eilers; 03-20-2015 at 04:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Eilers
Photo on the right is from my car. The sun shade material appears to be a different type of fabric.

Without meaning to put the US spec type of material down, it looks a bit like sackcloth, while the Euro spec material is looking (and feeling) more elastic.

The fabric on your shade is much more substantial than what we're getting here. Ours is very thin .... it's like a thin window shade.
Old 03-21-2015, 11:52 AM

S205
I am not so sure of the euro fabric is thicker or more tightly woven in comparison. The euro spec is also a little bit transparent in daylight conditions, but definitely not transparent like a window shade.

The reason the shade material appears more white or lighter in colour compared to the roof lining, is because of the outside light shining through. (at night the color of the shade material is identical to the roof lining)

I do however suspect the euro material might be more elastic/flexible, and better suited for the job.

Just thought it might be worth knowing when you talk to your dealer about this problem