C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Check your Oil Level

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 CLA 250 4Matic Black
Check your Oil Level

I had my second "Check oil level at next fillup" warning light.
I did check it a few days later and it was low.
This is my second warning which seems to come around every 5,000km or 3000 miles.
I just need to add around 3/4 of a litre.
I am not sure if this is due to the way I drive. Since I am usually at high rpms its always a good idea to keep an eye on oil level with Direct Injection.

On a different note, I have also been using 94 Octane since gas prices are so low and I highly recommend this option for those who have access to higher refined octanes out of the pump.
Old 04-22-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
The manual says that oil consumption is .9 qts per 600 miles. How can this be true? I haven't had a car since 1975 that used that much oil! I plan to go on a 6,000 mile trip soon, and that would mean I have to add oil almost every day. What am I missing...
Old 04-22-2015, 03:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
It's just Benz covering their butts. Used to be fine up to 1% of fuel consumption!!!

A properly run in Benz engine today should have no noticeable oil consumption between services.
Old 04-22-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W205 C200 Sport Premium Plus. October 2018. 1497cc with 48 volt battery eq
My C200 needed 1/3 litre of oil at 1500 miles and another 1/4 litre at 4000 miles. I do check with dip stick about once a month. Didn't know about low oil level warning lamp or low coolant level warning (just looked up both in manual). Thanks for that. If this Benz engine is like my previous then oil use does drop off when engine we'll run in.

Standard UK fuel is 95 Ron, with high octane 98 Ron also available.

Last edited by Merlin1; 04-22-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 08:05 PM

2015 C300 RWD AMG SPORT ~ Iridium Silver
PLEASE PLEASE

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
It's just Benz covering their butts. Used to be fine up to 1% of fuel consumption!!!

A properly run in Benz engine today should have no noticeable oil consumption between services.

My C300 looks to be needing a little oil and thinking of adding M1 0W-40 but my concern is that I only have 250 miles. Should I wait until she drops to the add level being that I am in the critical break in time.

Mr. Ruck seems to the resident oil expert & break-in guru. I was thinking or changing the oil at half life (5k) and then have MB at 10k. What do you think?? Which M1 oil does MB use?

In addition -- has the forum ever considered having a dedicated Mechanical / DIY / Maintenance folder. Man would I love one for this new WORLD CAR that I have purchased. THANKS IN ADVANCE.
Old 04-22-2015, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Firstly ~ We have the Wiki that Johnand & I built. That is it's purpose. John and I have built the W203, W209 & part of the W204. We need someone to take over that task for the W205.

Regarding break in. The vehicle comes with running in oil. On no account change it early. OK to top up with Mobil1 0W-40 229.5 Eurograde.

Benz uses MOS2 coated chamfered rings running in Alusil bores. A very difficult break in regime. On 229.5 oils you will never achieve break in. They protect too well & you will have an oil burner for life. Also don't over baby these engine during run in as long as temperature does not rise above normal. Avoid constant throttle for long periods.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:20 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
I haven't seen that light yet, I'll have to see what the computer thinks the oil level is vs what the dipstick says..
Old 04-23-2015, 02:38 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Keep track of the consumption and maybe bring it in and see what the dealer has to say exactly. Usually they will make you perform a consumption test, but if you already have that info they should give you an answer right there. Might be a good option to test out.

-Luccia
Old 04-23-2015, 04:40 PM

W205 C200 Sport Premium Plus. October 2018. 1497cc with 48 volt battery eq
Audi oil usage..... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-fills-up.html
Old 04-23-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not true. Due to direct injection and longer service intervals it is most likely that you will have to top up between services. Every manufacturer forum that I have visited from Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche, etc., have had complaints from consumers about running low on oil between services. It also depends on how hard you drive. I find that the harder one drives the more likely hood that they might have to top off the oil twice between services but if you are a normal driver you most likely would have to top it of once. If you drive like grandpa you may get away with no top off between services.
Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
The manual makes a big deal about not over-filling the oil. So the question is, how much do you add when the dip stick is on the min mark - one quart?
Old 04-23-2015, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rieger
Not true. Due to direct injection and longer service intervals it is most likely that you will have to top up between services. Every manufacturer forum that I have visited from Audi, BMW, MB, Porsche, etc., have had complaints from consumers about running low on oil between services. It also depends on how hard you drive. I find that the harder one drives the more likely hood that they might have to top off the oil twice between services but if you are a normal driver you most likely would have to top it of once. If you drive like grandpa you may get away with no top off between services.
Let me assure you that well run in W205's do not need oil top up between services. We already have 2 in the family. The 4 banger engines come out of the B Class & don't use oil & thats been around for a while. But that is only after proper break in. While breaking in they will use some oil.

BTW ~ I would not worry about some oil consumption as long as it is not excessive. It's not doing any harm apart from to your Cats.

EDIT: I thought I should also mention that the bed in process could take up to 20,000Km's for cars that don't have frequent bursts at full throttle.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-24-2015 at 06:33 AM.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:58 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
EDIT: I thought I should also mention that the bed in process could take up to 20,000Km's for cars that don't have frequent bursts at full throttle.
Well then, my car shouldn't have problems
Old 04-25-2015, 07:11 AM

c class 250 amg
My dealer never mentioned anything about runninig the engine in or it having run in oil in it. I thought running engines in was a thing of the past. This is about my 10th new car (various manufacturers) inc BMW and Audi and none of them have ever said anything about having to run the engine in.

Is it just me
Old 04-25-2015, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by doralmark
My dealer never mentioned anything about runninig the engine in or it having run in oil in it. I thought running engines in was a thing of the past. This is about my 10th new car (various manufacturers) inc BMW and Audi and none of them have ever said anything about having to run the engine in.

Is it just me
It's in the manual.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator

+1^ And any normal day to day user of an in-town car is likely to be doing ideal things for break in. Constant throttle on the open road can be an issue & over babying the engine after the first few 100 Km's.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-25-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 11:20 PM

Let me assure you that well run in W205's do not need oil top up between services. We already have 2 in the family. The 4 banger engines come out of the B Class & don't use oil & thats been around for a while. But that is only after proper break in. While breaking in they will use some oil.

BTW ~ I would not worry about some oil consumption as long as it is not excessive. It's not doing any harm apart from to your Cats.

I don't think your B class engine is direct injection. Correct me if I am wrong here.
We are talking about the new V6 direct injection engines. I can guarantee you it will need top up unless you drive these cars like a old person. Unless MB has found the secret to direct injection that no other manufacturer has than you most likely will have to top up. So will be worst than others. There is a reason manufacturers have increased the amount of top up allowed.
Old 04-28-2015, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Will you please explain to me your technical theory as to why a DI engine should consume more oil than a port injection engine? Benz has been building DI diesels forever & they run far higher CR's & don't use oil. Higher CR, if anything, should promote ring pump of oil. Benz DI pistons have taken on many of a diesel piston's characteristics but in more mild form. They have a reinforced band around the circumference with a centre dish. Under development of the DI engines they saw some minor piston cracking at the circumference with conventional pistons.

The B Class most certainly is Direct Injection. It's the same engine that was designed from day one to have transverse or inline application. That is the only reason there are different M numbers assigned to the engines.

A lady friend has a relatively new post facelift E Class Cab. That has the turbo V6 DI & uses no oil. She is not a gentle driver. She wiped out her first set of rear tyres in 10,000 Km's & then complained about the cost of a new pair. I had to tell her to calm down her driving. Much patience & understanding required because she likes to pull away hard. Yes dear! But dear! If you continue dear! we will be having this conversation again dear!

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-28-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:27 PM

GDI engines will consume more oil because they are more prone to carbon buildup of the valves which in return will cause more fouling of the oil and hence more engine oil will be consumed. Like I said if you do a search for excessive oil consumption on various manufacturer forums you will see this come up again and again.
You telling your friend to drive slower may not help the situation as Direct injection engines like to be run hard to prevent the carbon buildup. The only thing it will help is her tire situation.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:30 PM

W205
Glyn - I was always taught to perform the first oil change at about 5000 miles (~8000km) to get rid of the metal filings and such from the engine. You're saying that it's better to leave the run-in oil for the first yr (or until Assyst prompts the oil change)?

This has probably been covered, but just making sure. Thanks.
Old 04-28-2015, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rieger
GDI engines will consume more oil because they are more prone to carbon buildup of the valves which in return will cause more fouling of the oil and hence more engine oil will be consumed. Like I said if you do a search for excessive oil consumption on various manufacturer forums you will see this come up again and again.
You telling your friend to drive slower may not help the situation as Direct injection engines like to be run hard to prevent the carbon buildup. The only thing it will help is her tire situation.
That's technical nonsense. Your engine & oil knowledge is severely lacking.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jclboston
Glyn - I was always taught to perform the first oil change at about 5000 miles (~8000km) to get rid of the metal filings and such from the engine. You're saying that it's better to leave the run-in oil for the first yr (or until Assyst prompts the oil change)?

This has probably been covered, but just making sure. Thanks.
Yes absolutely. Leave the initial oil charge in until your Assyst tells you a service is due. No worries about wear debris from run in. You have excellent oil filtration on these engines & the filtration becomes better as the filter media blinds. The filters fitted are high capacity so will never go into bypass at recommended service intervals. The filters will trap anything that will cause harm.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-28-2015 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Let me just make a few points. Increased oil consumption on some engines is a product of their design & lack of oil control. It is not influenced by method of injection be it port or DI into the combustion chamber. The cause of "carbon" build up on inlet valve tulips is due to lack of oil control down the valve guides. A Porsche & VAG group issue as an example. The deposit on the valve tulip is mainly from VI improver used in multigrade oils & a small portion from captive breathers. With port injection the detergent in the fuel continuously cleans the deposit off & blows it out of the exhaust via the combustion chamber. In a DI engine you no longer have this fuel cleaning of the valve tulip so if valve guide oil control is poor deposits build up on the tulip.

Here is a DI Porsche Cayenne at under 20K Km's. Prior generation to the LP injector fix shown below.

Here is a port injected Benz M271 at over 100,000 Km's running on Techron. Where the fuel can get due to injector placement it is spotless. The thin black deposit above that is where the fuel can't get to clean.

Here is the VAG fix for their vehicles with an LP injector in the intake system to keep intake valves clean. Why they can't fix their guide oil control I don't know.

Benz & Ford solution to tulip deposit build up is to pulse the injector while the inlet valve is open. Any deposit or "carbon" build up is blown out of the exhaust. It does not get into the oil.

Increased oil consumption is not inherent in DI designs. Method of injection has no influence.

Long oil drain has been with us for many many years now & Benz has in markets such as the US reduced the drain interval from 13K miles to 10K miles.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 04-29-2015 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:11 AM

W205
Yes absolutely. Leave the initial oil charge in until your Assyst tells you a service is due. No worries about wear debris from run in. You have excellent oil filtration on these engines & the filtration becomes better as the filter media blinds. The filters fitted are high capacity so will never go into bypass at recommended service intervals. The filters will trap anything that will cause harm.
Thank you, sir.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:22 AM

W205
Let me just make a few points. Increased oil consumption on some engines is a product of their design & lack of oil control. It is not influenced by method of injection be it port or DI into the combustion chamber. The cause of "carbon" build up on inlet valve tulips is due to lack of oil control down the valve guides. A Porsche & VAG group issue as an example. The deposit on the valve tulip is mainly from VI improver used in multigrade oils & a small portion from captive breathers. With port injection the detergent in the fuel continuously cleans the deposit off & blows it out of the exhaust via the combustion camber. In a DI engine you no longer have this fuel cleaning of the valve tulip so if valve guide oil control is poor deposits build up on the tulip.

Here is a DI Porsche Cayenne at under 20K Km's. Prior generation to the LP injector fix shown below.

Here is a port injected Benz M271 at over 100,000 Km's running on Techron. Where the fuel can get due to injector placement it is spotless. The thin black deposit above that is where the fuel can't get to clean.

Here is the VAG fix for their vehicles with an LP injector in the intake system to keep intake valves clean. Why they can't fix their guide oil control I don't know.

Benz & Ford solution to tulip deposit build up is to pulse the injector while the inlet valve is open. Any deposit or "carbon" build up is blown out of the exhaust. It does not get into the oil.

Increased oil consumption is not inherent in DI designs. Method of injection has no influence.

Long oil drain has been with us for many many years now & Benz has in markets such as the US reduced the drain interval from 13K miles to 10K miles.
That carbon build up in the first image is what I had in the BMW and it had very real impacts on performance. I had to get the intake valves walnut blasted last March at 58K miles. Greatly noticeable differences after that as far as engine response, but I think that has already worn off again just after ~7K miles

But.. sounds like it won't be an issue on the Benz.. walnut blasting is expensive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Check your Oil Level