C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Add more MB-Apps?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 01:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250
Add more MB-Apps?

Brand new C250 in Australia. (MB's poor cousin)
I notice there is a MB App store for the Command system -- for EU. I can't get in with my VIN.

Can you add other apps like Spotify etc??

Also, can I save internet radio to the favourites button? If so, how.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
First question, apps, there's a recent thread on this. Short answer is no, it's unfinished and there are no apps.

Last answer not sure best to navigate to the part you want and hold down the favourites button to see if it will save it.
Old 05-09-2015, 02:48 AM

C250
Seems weird don't you think that the computer system is in place, it already runs FB, TuneIn and others, it has access to the internet and yet you can't add additional apps? Any old phone has been able to do that for many years.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
It's such an agonizingly slow system that the only app it needs is "Turn Me Off Please."

I think this whole MB Internet thing may have been a grade school project that ended before it was completed.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts
E53
Originally Posted by StanNH
It's such an agonizingly slow system that the only app it needs is "Turn Me Off Please."

I think this whole MB Internet thing may have been a grade school project that ended before it was completed.
Last week when my car was in for a tire swap I talked to a tech about many of the issues on this board, including the painfully slow internet speeds. He acknowledged the slow speed and blamed the way the system operates. He said all Internet traffic is first routed to Germany then back to the USA and finally back to the car. I don't know if that is correct, but it seems to be a reasonable explanation for the slow speeds. He also said as soon as MB gets a system set up in the U.S. the speeds should improve.
Old 05-09-2015, 06:59 PM

C250
I doubt that. (Unless I'm missing something, does the vehicle in the EU connect without a your phone internet connection? It certainly doesn't in OZ.) If its hooked into your bluetooth phone internet connection, it would like anything else thats connected that way, like an iPad. Its no different. Its more likely slow due to lack of RAM and or slow processor speed.
Old 05-09-2015, 08:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
Chiseling it out in cuneiform would be quicker than this.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:16 PM

E53
Originally Posted by cyclic412
I doubt that. (Unless I'm missing something, does the vehicle in the EU connect without a your phone internet connection? It certainly doesn't in OZ.) If its hooked into your bluetooth phone internet connection, it would like anything else thats connected that way, like an iPad. Its no different. Its more likely slow due to lack of RAM and or slow processor speed.
In the U.S. the car connects to the Internet without your phone. In fact, you can't tether your phone and use the phones internet connection and data. You must use the car's built in Internet connection. You're at the mercy of the car's modem speed and whatever system MB chooses to use.

Last edited by BenzC400; 05-09-2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2015, 09:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzC400
Last week when my car was in for a tire swap I talked to a tech about many of the issues on this board, including the painfully slow internet speeds. He acknowledged the slow speed and blamed the way the system operates. He said all Internet traffic is first routed to Germany then back to the USA and finally back to the car. I don't know if that is correct, but it seems to be a reasonable explanation for the slow speeds. He also said as soon as MB gets a system set up in the U.S. the speeds should improve.
I checked with MB-USA about this and was told the same thing. In its current incarnation, the system is close to useless.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
In the U.S. the car connects to the Internet without your phone. In fact, you can't tether your phone and use the phones internet connection and data. You must use the car's built in Internet connection. You're at the mercy of the car's modem speed and whatever system MB chooses to use.
That is not true. I tether my phone via Bluetooth and can use the MB Apps even though MBrace is not available in Canada. I have Comand with Nav but no car supplied data or Sirius. All the data comes from my phone.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:08 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C Class 200 sport petrol auto
The Apple Car Play app is meant to be coming out for the C Class. When it does, down load the app on your iphone and then plug the phone into the USB port and the car will display Spotify on the dash. I have seen the spotify app being displayed on this You Tube C Class link

Last edited by Luton Driver; 05-10-2015 at 04:43 AM.
Old 05-10-2015, 07:59 AM

E53
Originally Posted by cidtek
That is not true. I tether my phone via Bluetooth and can use the MB Apps even though MBrace is not available in Canada. I have Comand with Nav but no car supplied data or Sirius. All the data comes from my phone.
In the USA you can stream music and use your phone for calls through Bluetooth, but the MB Apps work off the internal car modem. I would love to be able to use my phones 4G connection for MB Apps, but can't.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Luton Driver
The Apple Car Play app is meant to be coming out for the C Class. When it does, down load the app on your iphone and then plug the phone into the USB port and the car will display Spotify on the dash. I have seen the spotify app being displayed on this You Tube C Class link
This was an August, 2014 MB press release:

"As of now, we do not support CarPlay in our series production cars. We are working on a highly sophisticated head-unit based solution, which will enable CarPlay as well as other systems (e.g. MirrorLink)… we are not quite sure if we will feature an aftermarket solution. CarPlay won’t be available by the end of this year, but in 2015."

That was the last news I heard, but I'm not optimistic about a 2015 release.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by StanNH
This was an August, 2014 MB press release:

"As of now, we do not support CarPlay in our series production cars. We are working on a highly sophisticated head-unit based solution, which will enable CarPlay as well as other systems (e.g. MirrorLink)… we are not quite sure if we will feature an aftermarket solution. CarPlay won’t be available by the end of this year, but in 2015."

That was the last news I heard, but I'm not optimistic about a 2015 release.
I don't think Apple plays well with other companies. And not a large motivation for car makers to jump on anything that loses any potential to sell their apps/services.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:31 PM

In the USA you can stream music and use your phone for calls through Bluetooth, but the MB Apps work off the internal car modem. I would love to be able to use my phones 4G connection for MB Apps, but can't.
If your phone has a tether via Bluetooth function then your car should connect to it but you do have to do a one time setup and password thing. Mine does. You will not get 4G however as I believe the MB side of things only does 3G. The little symbol on your Nav display that indicates your phone is connected for normal use is a one way arrow and turns into a 2 way arrow when connected to a phone via tether. All the above is in addition to normal bluetooth streaming from your phone so don't confuse the 2.

Last edited by cidtek; 05-10-2015 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:37 PM

E53
If your phone has a tether via Bluetooth function then your car should connect to it but you do have to do a one time setup and password thing. Mine does. You will not get 4G however as I believe the MB side of things only does 3G. The little symbol on your Nav display that indicates your phone is connected for normal use is a one arrow and turns into a 2 way arrow when connected to a phone via tether. All the above is in addition to normal bluetooth streaming from your phone so don't confuse the 2.
It doesn't work that way in the USA. From the owner manual:

To use Mercedes-Benz Apps and Internet access, the following conditions must be fulfilled: mbrace is activated and operational mbrace is activated for Mercedes-Benz Apps and Internet access.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:59 PM

It doesn't work that way in the USA. From the owner manual:

To use Mercedes-Benz Apps and Internet access, the following conditions must be fulfilled: mbrace is activated and operational mbrace is activated for Mercedes-Benz Apps and Internet access.
My manual says the same thing and like many things in the manual are wrong. Answer this and I will work with you... does your phone have a Bluetooth tether function?
Old 05-10-2015, 01:22 PM

E53
My manual says the same thing and like many things in the manual are wrong. Answer this and I will work with you... does your phone have a Bluetooth tether function?
Thanks, but I'll go with what the manual and the dealers technician says. It's probably different in Canada.

Last edited by BenzC400; 05-10-2015 at 02:59 PM.