C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Mercedes craps on C class - no carplay till 2017 model year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by kellens
As hot as Apple seems as of today, I bet MB offers a $8,500+ "Smartphone Package" option, including carpay, they'd get some bites.

I wouldn't look for carpay until they can make a lot $$ out of it, GM/Ford offers it they lose out on a lot less money than the German brands who really stick it to buyers with cost of tech. And even then, are the carplay units out from last year which require plug in, compatible with the "wireless carpay" coming out this year? These companies (car and smartphone) only exist to make profit.
Mercedes won't charge $8500 because they know they will never break even on it. I'm sure they have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of employee manpower on the integration so far if not millions.

It is highly unlikely that ANY factory set up that ships with carplay this year will work with carplay wireless, although it's not impossible. Apple has been working with the manufacturers now for 2+ years on this stuff and they all know what is possible and what has been on the roadmap for ages.

If anything the glacial pace of automative tech is why Carplay and Android Auto are a big deal. New apps and capabilities can come from the much swifter smart phone vendor, not from the plodding auto company that takes 5 years to make tiny tech refreshes to their system.

Absolute best case scenario is that cars that have a wi-fi hotspot feature could be set up to do wireless carplay. I'm not sure that Bluetooth carplay is possible for the wireless feature.

The Germans have gotten away with some nonsense for a long time, such as shipping halogen lights standard on $50,000 cars when you get Xenons or LEDs on $25,000 Corollas and Accords.

However the car infotainment system is more "visible" to buyers and they are going to start looking bad when every cheap GM/Hyundai product has a desirable car-tech feature and they don't offer it, even for a premium price.

A recent survey was pretty eye opening. It indicated that buyers placed more value on the ability of the infotainment system to integrate with their phone than on the color of the car.

In other words someone will more likely pick Carplay or Android Auto on a crap-turd colored car over a basic stereo on a car that is the color they like. Pretty telling.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:46 AM

BMW E60 525d MSport
Does this need new hardware or could it be added via firmware in the future ?
Old 06-09-2015, 11:50 AM

2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by Driver5
Does this need new hardware or could it be added via firmware in the future ?
Initially there was lots of talk that Carplay could be done via firmware for older vehicles but it is highly unlikely based on delays that this will happen.

More than likely Gen 1 carplay (wired) will require new hardware and Gen 3 carplay (wireless) will require even newer hardware. Since auto makers lag the tech industry by years not months I would say that wireless carplay could start showing up in factory rides very late next year although some manufacturers are more aggressive than others.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by voip1

The Germans have gotten away with some nonsense for a long time, such as shipping halogen lights standard on $50,000 cars when you get Xenons or LEDs on $25,000 Corollas and Accords.
And don't forget remote start too!

Still bothers me my new 2015 C300 will not have a heated steering wheel...or heated rear seats like my current Jeep Grand Cherokee has.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
A lot of interesting stuff going on with this, well to me anyway.... A couple questions come to my mind:

1) why would anyone (edit: with a supported smartphone) ever pay for a (ridiculously overpriced) map update when this comes out?

1b) how long before MBrace apps disappears (granted they probably only employ 2 or 3 people given the quality of some of what they offer).

2) How much code will the car be running that is written/owned by a company other than Mercedes? Other than apple/android?

2b) What will happen to the car in general when it breaks/crashes Command? This is probably manageable, but I don't know how many features are integrated with the infotainment system (running on the same processor / communications loop etc - doors, windows, key management etc). Testing this is going to absolutely suck!

3) Sure no one will ever be able to answer this, and is inconsequential to its operation, but how much time was spent in the negotiations focused on whether or not apple/android logos can be displayed on the Mercedes screen? How does Mercedes control this, how big can they be?

Last edited by ddeliber; 06-09-2015 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 05:54 PM

2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by ddeliber
1) why would anyone ever pay for a (ridiculously overpriced) map update when this comes out?
Because this will only work when you have cellular coverage, the built in maps always work.

1b) how long before MBrace apps disappears (granted they probably only employ 2 or 3 people given the quality of some of what they offer).
MB, BMW and others are trying to figure out how to replace those revenue streams as we speak. Apple have already indicated that manufacturers will be able to have their own applets within CarPlay so there is an incentive there for manufacturers to create premium applets that have enough value that their customers will pay subscription fees for them.

2) How much code will the car be running that is written/owned by a company other than Mercedes? Other than apple/android?
This is a common misconception for both Android Auto and Carplay. Google/Apple are not "writing code for the car". They are working with the manufacturer to create an app within the existing infotainment system that allows the content on the smart device to be displayed and interacted with using the vehicle controls.

That is it.

2b) What will happen to the car in general when it breaks/crashes Command? This is probably manageable, but I don't know how many features are integrated with the infotainment system (running on the same processor / communications loop etc - doors, windows, key management etc). Testing this is going to absolutely suck!
This is possibly a reason for delayed rollout of Carplay and Android Auto. While it is an "app" that runs on the existing vehicle systems, it is conceivable that it could crash bad enough to impact the rest of the infotainment system. I suspect automakers have been working hard to sandbox these apps so they can't do what you are describing.

3) Sure no one will ever be able to answer this, and is inconsequential to its operation, but how much time was spent in the negotiations focused on displaying apple/android logos on the Mercedes screen, and how does Mercedes control this?
You are right, no one here can answer this. Mercedes and Apple have a very tight relationship though so I imagine that whatever negotiations are ongoing have been relatively "friendly".
Old 06-09-2015, 09:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I've had the pleasure of using it on a test bed. I think it looks very basic and its function is also quite basic. It offered nothing to me that I can't do already either with COMAND or the phone. I really don't see what all the fuss is about.
Glad you like it, I find it utterly maitre and lacking in intitive nature. It took days to get used to. My 2011 Audi was far more intuitive. I also find the touchpad to be just a gimmick that is a waste of money and adds more cutter. So, would I miss COMMAND if almost anything replaced it? Heck no! Whoever built page COMMAND interface must have worked for Microsoft in the past as it feels just as bad. The number of clicks to do things is crazy and with such a big screen to work with you would think they could have some level of creativity that was worthwhile. The only place that is somewhat useful is the car settings and yet you have to again do all sorts of spins and clicks to find and make changes.

Then there is the whole online manual! My keys suddenly stopped being recognized by the car for Keyless mode. To find the troubleshooting instructions the printed manual tells me to go to the online manual! Maybe this would be available on my iPad (yes I am a iBigget by your standard) but living in Canada Mercedes does not make the iPad (or any other tablet) app available. So, I have to sit in the car to read anything of substance and different from the average use.

How about telling me how to do an upgrade to my maps? How do you? Looks like I need to fumble with this pathetic COMMAND interface to find out how, if it tells me anything.

One thing I can't blame the COMMAND system for is the cheap sun visor that does not pull out further when moved to the side window. This is the way the American cars traditionally are outfitted, but I think they have even learned to not cheap out on this simple feature so that the sun is not blinding you on the side.

For the most part I like the C400 but there are things that are driving me crazy and really should not.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:09 PM

W 208 & W202
Who in there right minds would pick a i phone

Originally Posted by voip1
Have you used it? It's not overrated at all. It works very well and is a great augment for those of us with iPhones, which is pretty much 70% of those who can afford a new C-class in the first place.
You are a knob. But you probably don't realize. iPhone snobs are like the Audi/BMW company car drivers of old, lower to middle management social climbers all gob n no tallent 😀
Old 06-09-2015, 09:19 PM

ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by ddeliber
Does anyone even use the MBapps? By the time you get to them and they come back with anything the drive is over.
The following users liked this post:
markl323 (09-22-2016)
Old 06-09-2015, 09:30 PM

ML350 BlueTec
Originally Posted by Robyachtcare
You are a knob. But you probably don't realize. iPhone snobs are like the Audi/BMW company car drivers of old, lower to middle management social climbers all gob n no tallent 😀
Impressive that you know all those Apple product users. Can't imagine what your friend list looks like in Facebook. Oh, hang on, I haven't a clue who you are so I am pretty sure you don't know me. Why then would you associate me with some stereotype that you have in your mind?

Are you so insecure that you can't assume people can have a preference other than yours?

The fact that in many large corporations the senior executive are equipped solely with Apple products, or that IT Security does not allow Android devices onto the corporate network due to security concerns, doesn't play into your "middle management" or "no talent" paradime.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I'm still trying to understand why anyone with a smartphone would pay an extra $20 per month for mbrace PLUS...or even worse, another extra $14 per month for Mercedes-Benz Apps?

As it stands I'll be letting the regular mbrace expire as well since I'll be getting the Multimedia package which has free SiriusXM traffic & weather for 3 years.

The ONLY way I would renew mbrace is if it offered the rumored remote start.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
FYI, Hyundai is making the Android Auto integration an update via software for their existing 2015 cars (at the dealer for now) and will make it available as an online download via usb at home later.

This is kind of a light at the end of the tunnel for MB owners of 2015+ vehicles, in that it MAY be available to existing 2015 C300 peeps
Old 06-10-2015, 05:08 PM

mazda
Ha! Thought I'd jump to the end of this thread and find people calling each other "***" and "****" but it looks like I'm about two pages early. Seriously though, the iPhone is a terrific mobile device and a UI experience that car manufacturers should aspire to. I'm annoyed MB have dropped the ball on implementing this. In the mean time I've picked up one of these bluetooth home buttons to bring Siri integration a bit closer...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RM75NOW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00 http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00RM75NOW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00

Old 06-10-2015, 11:13 PM

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by Formac
Ha! Thought I'd jump to the end of this thread and find people calling each other "***" and "****" but it looks like I'm about two pages early. Seriously though, the iPhone is a terrific mobile device and a UI experience that car manufacturers should aspire to. I'm annoyed MB have dropped the ball on implementing this. In the mean time I've picked up one of these bluetooth home buttons to bring Siri integration a bit closer...
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...ilpage_o09_s00

I think Apple dropped the ball as far as Siri is concerned. Blackberry only needs a steering wheel voice button command to launch it's voice assistant. And the phone doesn't need to be USB tethered either. So clearly MB is not the problem.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
2018 E43 | 2017 GLS450 | 2004 CLK 500
Originally Posted by Robyachtcare
Don't be an ignorant d8ck with your first post.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:56 PM

C class w205 from July '15, BMW 525i E60 LCI
Originally Posted by cidtek
I think Apple dropped the ball as far as Siri is concerned. Blackberry only needs a steering wheel voice button command to launch it's voice assistant. And the phone doesn't need to be USB tethered either. So clearly MB is not the problem.

In 2007 LCI 525i which I was driving until recently would activate Siri from the steering wheel voice command button(when connected with BT)
Not the same with MB though, Siri could only be activated from the phone.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:21 AM

2013 BMW 328xi
BMW can do that already it's called Siri assist. MB is behind the times.
Old 06-11-2015, 12:32 AM

C class w205 from July '15, BMW 525i E60 LCI
In 2007 when my bmw was built, Siri didn't even exist. But the function was still functional when Siri came into existence in 2012-13. MB is pushing for MB world subscription. Hence no effort.
But then again it's my opinion. Not a fact. It's not a deal breaker for me. I sold the bmw and got the w205 for all the good reasons.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:30 AM

2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by kaliupps
In 2007 when my bmw was built, Siri didn't even exist. But the function was still functional when Siri came into existence in 2012-13. MB is pushing for MB world subscription. Hence no effort.
But then again it's my opinion. Not a fact. It's not a deal breaker for me. I sold the bmw and got the w205 for all the good reasons.
Doesn't work like that in my 2013 BMW but they did add the enhanced functionality Siri (activated through steering wheel) in the 2014 model year.
Old 06-11-2015, 02:14 PM

mazda
MB IS the problem because they have stalled after previously saying its implementation was imminent. I'm assuming, as you like it, BB has improved voice assistant from reviews like this where it was clearly second place to Siri:
Old 06-12-2015, 06:27 PM

C250d Estate AMG Line
Disappointing if true it's not going to arrive on 2015/16 models.

While I'm personally an Apple customer I also want to see Android Auto available for those fans of the little green droid.

If VW and Seat along with the GM brands can launch it this summer so can MB, guess I just have to keep hoping till official word comes out.
Old 06-14-2015, 02:21 AM

B200T
damn...was waiting for Android Auto (which would presumably come around the same time as Carplay) to come to W205...main reason why I've held off 'till MY16! For me it's MUCH more important than the color of the car (as someone mentioned above).
Old 06-14-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C 300
There is nothing in this article that says it will not come until the 2017 C class. If anything, the fact that another Mercedes will finally get CarPlay with the 2016 model year hopefully means that Mercedes has figured this out and other cars will start seeing it soon as well.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:46 PM

2017 C200 coupe
I just bought a 2017 C200 coupe and still no CARPLAY or retrofit option according to my dealer.
Old 09-06-2016, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah there's absolutely nothing to suggest the C will be getting CarPlay. If it's a dealbreaker for folks, don't buy a C.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Mercedes craps on C class - no carplay till 2017 model year