C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Mercedes craps on C class - no carplay till 2017 model year

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
That's funny that the Apple fanboy thinks that the I-user base is more affluent. Ever heard of a Korean conglomerate called Samsung? That's the phone provider that all of us affluent non-fanboys use.

Here's a few facts:
Apple does not play nice with other companies. Their licensing deals are one sided and costly.

Apple is competing with MB in the autonomous vehicle space and unlike google, they have no intention of making any of their advances open source in order to encourage development of the tech. There is very little benefit to MB from collaborating with Apple on infotainment, telematics, or any other vehicle tech.

1st gen carplay is nothing to write home about and all of these functions are available though the voice activation clients from, Apple, Google, and Samsung.

The overblown screen interface is already dated. Future vehicle tech will all revolve around voice, and gesture control for human controlled vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
cidtek (09-07-2016)
Old 09-07-2016, 01:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by SchneiderIS

The fact that in many large corporations the senior executive are equipped solely with Apple products, or that IT Security does not allow Android devices onto the corporate network due to security concerns, doesn't play into your "middle management" or "no talent" paradime.
BS! I have worked for 2 different Fortune 100 companies and my best friend works for one of the largest (both cash and infrastructure) tech companies in the world. You are not locked into a platform in the corporate environment unless procurement has a good contract locked down with a specific provider, you are usually offered a choice between either a Samsung or an Iphone. The security of the platforms are basically identical. People choose the platform that they are comfortable with and have the most experience with. That's it!
Old 09-07-2016, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah, MB picked Apple back in 2007 when they started adding 30 pin interfaces in their cars and programming COMAND to replicate the IPod file structure. They've done nothing for Android ever. Newer Benz are getting CarPlay now. Zero indications they'll be getting the Android equivalent. I think the open source nature of the Android OS and the fact it's still being rapidly developed has caused MB to shy away for the foreseeable future.

I've owned both iPhones and Androids. Vastly prefer IOS. Not trying to make a social statement, just prefer Apple.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
only reason i use apple over any androids is because it's a smarter investment. iphones retain value since there are way too many idiots that are willing to pay premium for a entry-level hardware. gotta love that.

samsung phones are state of the art every time. however since they release a new one every 8~12 months, the value plunges ever so fast. so they are not worth it to buy new. it's much better to buy them second hand.
Also, ios eco system is very strong and easy to use. i gotta hand the software side to apple, they got that right.
i'm in my mid 30s, i no longer have time to be messing with custom roms, i just want something that works.
And apple just works.

Apple is sort of like a benz. you pay premium for their eco-system and designs. hardware is similar to entry-level androids. so it's garbage.
benz you get design with fit and finish plus prestige. but hardware? 4 cylinder piece of ***** on a $50k car, LOL.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s Wagon 2019
When I configure a new E class in Sweden, I can choose between Carplay or Android Auto.
So it seems MB can integrate with Android as well.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
Originally Posted by Mr. J
BS! I have worked for 2 different Fortune 100 companies and my best friend works for one of the largest (both cash and infrastructure) tech companies in the world. You are not locked into a platform in the corporate environment unless procurement has a good contract locked down with a specific provider, you are usually offered a choice between either a Samsung or an Iphone. The security of the platforms are basically identical. People choose the platform that they are comfortable with and have the most experience with. That's it!

Agreed. Companies, especially tech companies, are starting to catch onto the BYOD push. I wouldn't say the security is identical. iOS has the edge there.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:05 AM

prius. :(
Originally Posted by Mr. J

Essentially.

You're only "locked into" a product if you have specific software or infrastructure hooks that either require a specific phone and OS or your personal organization choices. If you like Facetime and iMessage and Apple Calendar and use iTunes for your movie/music purchases and etc then of course you're going to use an iPhone.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:49 PM
pek

c300
As long as MB doesn't charge more for a feature I'll never use (any kind of smartphone integration) I don't care one way or another, you can bludgeon each other to death with your respective smartphones. No smartphone so no bias one way or the other on smartphones, I honestly can't see what the infatuation with being constantly online is, I doubt very much that all the cell phone users are brain surgeons talking a camper though emergency surgery on the side of a mountain in a snowstorm. Why they change just for changes sake is beyond me. And, yes, I'm a reactionary old fart. And I fix the Internet (literally) for a living, so I'm not scared of the technology, just the way it can be twisted. pek

Last edited by pek; 09-07-2016 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:19 PM

Received 74 Likes on 68 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Newer Benz are getting CarPlay now. Zero indications they'll be getting the Android equivalent. I think the open source nature of the Android OS and the fact it's still being rapidly developed has caused MB to shy away for the foreseeable future.

I've owned both iPhones and Androids. Vastly prefer IOS. Not trying to make a social statement, just prefer Apple.

i just checked mbusa.com, 2017 CLA does have android auto and apple carplay as a option.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by Sheepy
Essentially.

You're only "locked into" a product if you have specific software or infrastructure hooks that either require a specific phone and OS or your personal organization choices. If you like Facetime and iMessage and Apple Calendar and use iTunes for your movie/music purchases and etc then of course you're going to use an iPhone.
Without picking sides (I actually like both platforms), the argument for one platform or the other in the corporate world, usually comes down to what IT is willing to do in terms of software support, device management and troubleshooting.

Anyone who has spent any time in the Android forums (I'm an ex moderator) knows the sheer volume of devices supported by the OS is enough to make any IT group shiver at thoughts of support, so BYOD is not the norm that I have seen in the field.

Personally, from my perspective in the industry, iPhones are simply easier to deploy and support for IT and the layperson is less apt to run afoul. Performance wise? Give me a rooted Samsung or HTC any day.
Old 09-08-2016, 12:57 PM

prius. :(
Honestly, often IT has little say so in it and the Board gets to decide. Current company I'm employed with was largely a Windows and Android shop because they left it up to IT and users to decide what they want.

Board decided one day we were moving to Apple because a few software engineers used Apple so everyone got a new MacBook and iPhone!
Old 09-08-2016, 01:20 PM

2016 C450
At the companies I am currently working with, IT is the deciding vote. iPhones across the board and Windows OS. At one company (who shall remain nameless), most of the corporate officers are "MAC people" and while they are free to run whatever platform they want, they do not even have Outlook tied to Exchange and have to use the web version because of IT having to support it. Sounds crazy I know, but that is the authority they have been given.
Old 09-08-2016, 01:21 PM

2016 C450
Originally Posted by Sheepy
Honestly, often IT has little say so in it and the Board gets to decide. Current company I'm employed with was largely a Windows and Android shop because they left it up to IT and users to decide what they want.

Board decided one day we were moving to Apple because a few software engineers used Apple so everyone got a new MacBook and iPhone!
Got any openings? I love MacBooks!!!
Old 09-09-2016, 10:04 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
Agreed. Companies, especially tech companies, are starting to catch onto the BYOD push. I wouldn't say the security is identical. iOS has the edge there.

APPLE ISSUES URGENT IPHONE UPDATE TO FIX SECURITY FLAW

http://6abc.com/technology/dont-igno...pdate/1447137/
Old 09-09-2016, 11:18 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Jdem22
Got any openings? I love MacBooks!!!
oh dang, i must be the only one in my company who requested a PC instead of macbook.

used a macbook pro for 3 months, couldn't stand it any longer.

it was very well built compared to any PC laptop, but mac osx was not my cup of tea.

instead i took the it guys to a night out and got them to give me full admin rights on my pc laptop.

now i can watch **** and install whatever i want on my corporate laptop, LOL

i get to play overwatch (awesome game btw) while at work whenever i don't have much to do. yay
Old 09-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2017 C63S
Hoping that Carplay will be available for the 2017 c class. I could care less about the messaging or music....I want the damn data connection to drive the navigation. THAT is the real win here.

Traffic re-routing and navigation with the command system is terrible. Its estimation on traffic volume is always off. Obviously Mercedes Benz is not leveraging the intrusive collection of user data that google or apple uses.

Example 1
Morning commute to work. This takes me about an hour with traffic. No traffic it's only 35 minutes.

Command system always estimates 30 to 35 minutes
Google maps and apple maps will estimate 45 minutes to an hour.
The phone estimate is closer but, the command eventually catches up. As I drive along my morning commute the ETA steadily goes up.

In this example Command is not taking into account any historical averages or user data.

Edit: By the way I'm not trying to pick on the command system. That's just the nature of currently available infotainment and navigation systems for automobiles. It's just natural that a phone with a persistent LTE connection will outperform a system that hits an API every five minutes.

Example 2
Road trip...heading home from Myrtle beach.

Lonely stretch of road leaving Myrtle beach...rarely any cars. Command system shows all green for traffic.

Phone shows all green with a tiny spot of red (heavy traffic) ahead of me. When I get to the spot all I see is a cop who pulled over another driver.

Wow.

Obviously the command system does not leverage user data like a phone can.

I've read and watched a few explanations on CarPlay/Android Auto. It's explained that map integration will combine the map data over mobile network with the GPS antenna of the car and present this to the user through the cars display screen.

This is why smart phone integration into vehicles is so powerful.

Last edited by mjones800; 09-29-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 10:03 AM

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
2021 Mojave Silver E450, BRG Jaguar F-pace S, 2011 335d (RIP), 2010 E350 (sold)
On thing I am curious about it why is carplay standard for the GLE (for some time now) but N/A on the C? I am pretty sure they upgraded the system in the GLE to be the same underlying tech as on the C.
Old 09-29-2016, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
My C got rear ended so I'm in a rental Lincoln MKZ for the next month or so. Not a great car by any stretch but it does have CarPlay (and a stereo that blows the Burmester away) so that part has been fun.

It has a touch screen which, for CarPlay, makes more sense than the COMAND jog wheel.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:41 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
My C got rear ended so I'm in a rental Lincoln MKZ for the next month or so. Not a great car by any stretch but it does have CarPlay (and a stereo that blows the Burmester away) so that part has been fun.

It has a touch screen which, for CarPlay, makes more sense than the COMAND jog wheel.
Wow the stereo is that good?
Old 10-01-2016, 07:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E350e W213
My C got rear ended...
Did any of your upgraded audio stuff get damaged? The Audison or the JL audio fix?

Btw, I'm thinking about selling my C and moving to the new E since they do have Android Auto as standard on the E350e
Old 10-15-2016, 07:19 AM

2016 C220 AMG Line Premium Plus Coupe
Originally Posted by mjones800
Hoping that Carplay will be available for the 2017 c class. I could care less about the messaging or music....I want the damn data connection to drive the navigation. THAT is the real win here.

Traffic re-routing and navigation with the command system is terrible. Its estimation on traffic volume is always off. Obviously Mercedes Benz is not leveraging the intrusive collection of user data that google or apple uses.

Example 1
Morning commute to work. This takes me about an hour with traffic. No traffic it's only 35 minutes.

Command system always estimates 30 to 35 minutes
Google maps and apple maps will estimate 45 minutes to an hour.
The phone estimate is closer but, the command eventually catches up. As I drive along my morning commute the ETA steadily goes up.

In this example Command is not taking into account any historical averages or user data.

Edit: By the way I'm not trying to pick on the command system. That's just the nature of currently available infotainment and navigation systems for automobiles. It's just natural that a phone with a persistent LTE connection will outperform a system that hits an API every five minutes.

Example 2
Road trip...heading home from Myrtle beach.

Lonely stretch of road leaving Myrtle beach...rarely any cars. Command system shows all green for traffic.

Phone shows all green with a tiny spot of red (heavy traffic) ahead of me. When I get to the spot all I see is a cop who pulled over another driver.

Wow.

Obviously the command system does not leverage user data like a phone can.

I've read and watched a few explanations on CarPlay/Android Auto. It's explained that map integration will combine the map data over mobile network with the GPS antenna of the car and present this to the user through the cars display screen.

This is why smart phone integration into vehicles is so powerful.
Agree totally.
I'd love to use the maps from my phone, the sheer speed of loading and finding my route is one reason.
My Merc navi sometimes tells me I'm off road. I mentioned it at first service but it didn't improve and when I went to the dealer to see the coupe for my next car I was told it wasn't normal and something should've been done about it. I've got 2 months left, bit late now.
The voice command is rubbish, and it's quicker to type with the dial which itself is painfully slow.

The COMAND is the only thing I don't love about my merc.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:20 AM

2016 C220 AMG Line Premium Plus Coupe
My fiancé just told me the E Class has carplay here...