C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2015 C-Class Receives Low Marks in '15 J.D Power Initial Quality Study

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Current: '19 E450 Cabriolet - Past: '19 C300 Coupe, '12 SLK350, '16 E350, '14 C250 (x2), '09 CLK350
Originally Posted by mikbar2
Coming from a Lexus GS, I'm totally happy with our W205. Has it had problems, yes, but the majority were caused at the dealership and they stood at the plate and took care of all items.
Not surprised by the JD Power initial quality study results for the W205, I mean the seats oozed for crying out loud. But I think MB will get their act together when the time comes for a refresh, I wouldn't put my hopes up on the 2016 fixing all the issues. I'm particularly shocked by the perception of "quality" when it comes to technology. Nevermind the controversial aesthetics of the iPad screen, the touchpad is completely useless and has about a full second of gesture lag. (Funny how new A class interior has similar new styling but no touchpad.)

Each individual vehicle class forum on this site seems very unique in its audience. I have a W204 and that forum is mostly enthusiasts, tuning and modifying. Used to have a W209 CLK, and that forum was mostly enthusiasts and people learning about and checking on the balance shaft issue. My wife is looking into a new SLK or SLC, depending on the timing, and that forum is just plain dead.

One thing that strikes me about the tone of the W205 forum versus, for example, the W204, is that it's a VERY different car with a VERY different audience. I think this forum reflects those differences. Drivers jumping into W205s are driving comparable or more expensive rides, like a Lexus GS, and are expecting a near-flawless experience that is polished and very traditional "Mercedes-Benz" luxury. The W204 used to be the true entry point of the brand at least here in the US, and MB is really trying to raise the profile of the C - and I think customers expectations for the W205's quality and performance are aligned with what MB wanted. In a strange way, I think the increased scrutiny over quality shown here in these forums means they're probably getting the customers they wanted and succeeding at least marketing-wise.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Given my initial struggles. Not surprised at all, however, not at all unexpected. Mercedes reliability has, at best, always been mediocre being far worse than Japanese brands (that why this is my first German car). To complicate things further, its a brand new model with almost all systems being new including engine, suspension and many other things, PLUS, its made in a North American plant that has never built sedans before (for US costumer). Its a miracle that the car does not have even worse reliability/ fit and finish. I'm sure reliability will improve to average or a little better in a year or two.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by MoneyVSOP
Not surprised by the JD Power initial quality study results for the W205, I mean the seats oozed for crying out loud. But I think MB will get their act together when the time comes for a refresh, I wouldn't put my hopes up on the 2016 fixing all the issues. I'm particularly shocked by the perception of "quality" when it comes to technology. Nevermind the controversial aesthetics of the iPad screen, the touchpad is completely useless and has about a full second of gesture lag. (Funny how new A class interior has similar new styling but no touchpad.)

Each individual vehicle class forum on this site seems very unique in its audience. I have a W204 and that forum is mostly enthusiasts, tuning and modifying. Used to have a W209 CLK, and that forum was mostly enthusiasts and people learning about and checking on the balance shaft issue. My wife is looking into a new SLK or SLC, depending on the timing, and that forum is just plain dead.

One thing that strikes me about the tone of the W205 forum versus, for example, the W204, is that it's a VERY different car with a VERY different audience. I think this forum reflects those differences. Drivers jumping into W205s are driving comparable or more expensive rides, like a Lexus GS, and are expecting a near-flawless experience that is polished and very traditional "Mercedes-Benz" luxury. The W204 used to be the true entry point of the brand at least here in the US, and MB is really trying to raise the profile of the C - and I think customers expectations for the W205's quality and performance are aligned with what MB wanted. In a strange way, I think the increased scrutiny over quality shown here in these forums means they're probably getting the customers they wanted and succeeding at least marketing-wise.
Good points, but for build quality, the car isn't doing well compared to ANY cars. No just luxury class. If you cross shopped the W205 and a base Aveo, Hyundai, Kia, the W205 though technologically and style wise miles ahead, build quality isn't close to the other cars costing less than half as much. Mercedes can't provide me with a reasonable excuse for this. Or their blowing off people with a concern about their car as normal.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by HelenR
Good points, but for build quality, the car isn't doing well compared to ANY cars. No just luxury class. If you cross shopped the W205 and a base Aveo, Hyundai, Kia, the W205 though technologically and style wise miles ahead, build quality isn't close to the other cars costing less than half as much. Mercedes can't provide me with a reasonable excuse for this. Or their blowing off people with a concern about their car as normal.
It comes down to whether you believe someone who buys a KIA and has a small problem will mark the car down as harshly as a Mercedes that costs 2X-3X as much.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ferrari, Lexus, Toyota
Originally Posted by voip1
It comes down to whether you believe someone who buys a KIA and has a small problem will mark the car down as harshly as a Mercedes that costs 2X-3X as much.
People usually want more than what they pay for no matter the cost, and they might be hit on owners marking low for not having the fine touches, never know.

Either way, I've driven and seen a good number of both. Kia and Hyundai deserve to be high on this list by any measure. Of course very different cars than MB designs. But can't crack on how well the Korean's can execute a built.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Tuscaloosa has never been a great plant for build quality. SA cancelled taking ML's from them for a long while and sourced from Austria. (which is a contract plant!!!)