C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Auto collision detection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2015, 02:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
HorshamRebel - am I right in thinking that you are not actually experiencing any specific problems with your car?
Old 07-20-2015, 02:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MErcedes C Class 220cdi AMG line
It must be a consequence of the system, if my car is going straight toward a static object I know I am going round but the system is not intelligent enough to see then it will engage until the driver takes alternate action. It would be more than useful at 80mph on a motorway when someone brakes suddenly but when I am perfectly in control and know better than the system it is an inconvenience at best.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Originally Posted by rmc76
I don't think the applying of the brake is an option as my car is pretty standard build. I guess it goes from lighting up the triangle if you are too close to beeping when you need to be alerted to approaching something head on. If you do not take any action from there it applies the brakes. When I hear beeping my reaction is to lift off which I guess the car interprets as not taking any action so it does it for me. A great safety feature if you don't read the situation in the road ahead but not if you are in control of the situation and just want to keep going.
Originally Posted by HorshamRebel
Makes me glad I never went for the Driver Assist Package
Originally Posted by jolt8631
The Collision Protection System is fitted to ALL W205s, so no need to fret.
Time out! We are not used to the idea that operating our cars safely requires sitting down and studying, as if for an examination. But comprehensive study is necessary To understand these complex systems, not comments focused on single systems. I find that I must read the Owner's Manual very carefully to understand these systems. Some of the systems seem to duplicate each other. Even after studying these systems, I must refresh my memory from time to time. The overview of the relevant systems begins on page 66 of the Owner's Manual:
Overview of driving safety systems
In this section, you will find information about the following driving safety systems:
ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) (page 66)
BAS (Brake Assist System) (page 67)
BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist (Brake Assist System PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist) (page 67)
COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS (distance warning function and adaptive
Brake Assist) (page 69)
Be sure to distinguish the differences between systems with the the Driving Assistance package and systems without. There are even differences in the speed parameters in which the systems are effective. The pages referenced are shown as pdf attachments. Or you can just review your own Owner's Manual!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Page 67.pdf (27.3 KB, 215 views)
Page 68.pdf (26.9 KB, 610 views)
Page 69.pdf (27.2 KB, 162 views)
Page 70.pdf (32.4 KB, 137 views)
Page 71.pdf (27.0 KB, 138 views)
Old 07-20-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Originally Posted by gfmohn
Time out! We are not used to the idea that operating our cars safely requires sitting down and studying, as if for an examination. But comprehensive study is necessary To understand these complex systems, not comments focused on single systems. I find that I must read the Owner's Manual very carefully to understand these systems. Some of the systems seem to duplicate each other. Even after studying these systems, I must refresh my memory from time to time. The overview of the relevant systems begins on page 66 of the Owner's Manual:

Overview of driving safety systems
In this section, you will find information about the following driving safety systems:
ABS (Anti-lock Braking System) (page 66)
BAS (Brake Assist System) (page 67)
BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist (Brake Assist System PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist) (page 67)
COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS (distance warning function and adaptive
Brake Assist) (page 69)

Be sure to distinguish the differences between systems with the the Driving Assistance package and systems without. There are even differences in the speed parameters in which the systems are effective. The pages referenced are shown as pdf attachments. Or you can just review your own Owner's Manual!
Quite right.

Whilst these systems "sound complicated" they are all devoid of any driver input, sound require no driver technique, in their operation - so we don't need to "drive" these systems, just be aware of what they do and why/when. I don't agree they duplicate each other, though. In essence, all they do are:

ABS - Prevents us, in panic, inducing a skid by braking too hard
BAS (Brake Assist System) - adds extra Braking Effort, to slow the car down, if we are Emergency Braking with an obstacle in front of us that we would collide with - works in concert with ABS to prevent a skid.
BAS PLUS with Cross-Traffic Assist - As above, but also watching out for things coming at us from the side, as well as in front.
COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS - Warns of collision, due to trajectory/speed versus an object. Applies Braking as last resort to prevent collision.
It is the latter which is the subject of this thread.

I also agree that none of these are part of the Driver Assistance packages, these are the stand alone Safety Systems. Their aim is simple - prevent us from driving into things against a set of parameters of Risk Measurement.

Yes, they may be triggered by our driving styles, if we drive iin, what is perceived to be, a risky manner (Tail gating, late/ hard Brakers, swinging around obstacles late). However, if we adopt a defensive driving technique, this should be minimal - UNLESS, of course, the parameters are incorrect and that is the point of the thread, I guess.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Class W204
Originally Posted by jolt8631
HorshamRebel - am I right in thinking that you are not actually experiencing any specific problems with your car?

Not yet. Apart from not actually having it like I was supposed to, by now.
Current delivery date is 1st week in October.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:58 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
How do one test if the autonomous braking system in their CPAP is working autonomously without damaging their C?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c450
Wouldn't you get a fault warning?
Old 01-28-2016, 11:22 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
Originally Posted by gfmohn

I finally figured out that the radar was picking up the curb of a small traffic island dividing the two lanes at the intersection. It is about a car length long, and the release of braking always occurs as the rear end of the car ahead comes even with the end of the traffic island. My radar is pointed more at the island at this point than at the car ahead, because the road approaches the cross street at an angle. Just before the intersection, it turns slightly to the right, in order to intersect the cross street at a 90 degree angle. It is the purpose of the traffic island to force cars to do this.
I've experienced this same thing in the first few weeks of having the car (c450), it wasn't the car in front, but an island to the left that it is picking up as I'm turning left. The red sensor and alert goes off like crazy, (I don't have the PLUS just the regular) so I'm thankful I didn't buy the upgraded option to have it auto brake - the wife would just freak out if the car did that. I know, one can turn the auto features off but I guess that's not the point. I had the feeling that when say the left BLINKER was on, it would prioritize the sensors directly in front, but that doesn't seem to help
Old 01-28-2016, 06:55 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
How to test

Originally Posted by miketc
How do one test if the autonomous braking system in their CPAP is working autonomously without damaging their C?
You can test your system easily with some large cardboard boxes.
If it doesnt brake you dented a cardboard box
Old 01-28-2016, 07:13 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Like this..
Old 01-28-2016, 10:00 PM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
W205
DBOC250, that's not funny!!
Old 01-28-2016, 10:11 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
DBOC250, that's not funny!!
You're absolutely right - wrong brand anyway. This one is much better
Old 01-29-2016, 08:38 AM