C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 Parking Sensors / Distance Control

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Parking Sensors / Distance Control

I'm looking into a new C300 and had some questions about the Parktronic option.

First, I have a Lexus now and have become used to the Park Distance Control (it shows you on the screen if there is something in front of/behind or to the left/right of you). Does the w205 do this, and is this an option or standard?

Is Parktronic just a sensor that beeps, or does some information display on screen (I plan to get multimedia package).

And lastly, is Parktronic a feature I can retrofit if the car I wanted doesn't have it? Can the dealer install?

Thanks.
Old 07-23-2015, 08:25 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Parktronic will parell park you; or pull you into a perpendicular space. You can parallel park on either the left side or right side of the street. As part of that package, there are sensors around the car that alert you to objects. The alerts are audible and visual. In addition to beeping; there is a "light bar" over the rear window that shows objects as you close in on them. In the dashboard, there is a screen that shows you nearing an object. (I also have the reverse camera)

You will have to ask Mercedes about the ability to retrofit. I ordered it with the car.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
I too have the parktronic and the audible distance alert only works when you are about 6-12" away before hitting something. Not too helpful. But the visual aids as mentioned above are very good.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Just to be clear though, you ask if the PDC display is "on the screen" like your Lexus - the C Class has a small display at the back of the car (that can be seen in the Rear view mirror) and at the top of the Driver info display between the instrument dials. These take the form of Yellow bars and Red bars when you get up close (Red is when the audio beeps start).

If you have Reversing Camera, then you also get a small car shaped display in one corner that shows Yellow/Red at each corner - as well, obviously, as the camera view.

Overall, the MB solution is very effective - the only thing you need to get used to, is that the audio warning differs to others, so you need to keep your eyes on the visual displays.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:52 AM

C250
Everything as mentioned above but perhaps in contrary to others I find the Mercedes way to be not so user friendly.

In my experience I tend to look at screen for rear camera but also look up to the mirror to see the proximity lights in case I'm getting close to an object I'm not seeing for whatever reason. Why, because in Mercedes wisdom the beep does not sound at all until I'm only 20cm or so from an object and only then sounds with a constant high pitch been that scares the s**t out of me and I slam the brake thinking I'm about to hit something. I find it a mess overall.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:05 PM

The continuous beep is only when both of the Red segments are lit. When one is lit there is an intermittent beep.

I agree it would be better to start with a slow beeping during the Yellow segments.

If you are getting shocked by a sudden, continuous, screech, then you might need to be reversing a little slower?
Old 07-24-2015, 03:31 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
My Volvo's implementation is a bit different. As the car nears an object, the frequency of the beeping increases. I would have preferred Mercedes to do the same. With parktronic, I also get beeping as I near objects up front (making the turn into my garage)
Old 07-24-2015, 03:33 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
The mercedes system is a visual one with audible warning when things are getting close unlike most other manufacturers who use an audible only system. I was used to audis audible system and transferring to the mercedes system was a steep learning curve....you need to look for the amber warning lights in the rear or front displays and as you get close the reds will show as the audible warning kicks in. The 360 camera also helps greatly and i tend now to use that and not the old parktronic warning lamps as the display shows aan amber warning on the quarter of car nearest the obstacle turning red as the audible warning kicks in.

In essence you need to watch the lights ....when it beeps you are close unlike other systems were the beeps are all you rely on so they are there all the time getting faster as you get closer and it is an easier system in all honesty but hey ho it would'nt be a mercedes if it followed the crowd
Old 07-24-2015, 04:13 PM

Is the 360 camera available as an option now?
Old 07-24-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
I live in france and ordered my s205 estate in mid january for a may delivery which was what happened. The 360 camera was available at the time of order with no delays. Also have airmatic and driver assistance package in a 250 blurtec diesel 4 matic luxury model so have the old man grill and the star on the bonnet (hood) so a nice target to drive by......apart from a minor issue with the seatback on the drivers seat coming loose it has been faultless and a step forward from my loved 2012 glk 220 4 matic. Very pleased with it so far but suspect i will never go back to the 220 version of this engine..the 250 is just nicer for no co2 or mpg penalty.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:55 PM

upon further investigation it seems like this isn't an option in the US! That is very disappointing. Is it possible to retrofit, and will it be available in 16?
Old 07-25-2015, 08:52 AM

I think there was some approx pricing, from Vic, on parts to retrofit in another thread (search for 360 camera) - hugely expensive, when compared to factory cost, so a non-starter, for me.