C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Garmin map pilot with audio 20

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Garmin map pilot with audio 20

Up until 2012 i was a very happy tom tom user complete with the suction cup holder on the windscreen and dangling lead from the cigarette lighter socket. But the sat nav was easy to programme with a touchscreen, using uk postcodes and simple locations like city centre and had good maps and algorithms that worked out a single track unclassified road would take longer to traverse than a better but longer b road where national speed limits could be reached.....simple to use and effective.

From 2012 i have been using mercedes navigation........initially the not cheap but bottom of mercedes range audio 20 add on navigation. It was a tedious system to programme from the controller but at least it had a city centre options. But the algorithms were rubbish so some of its routes were stupid and on one occasion it used green roads ie unpaved tracks cross country tracks.....not a faster main road route. Difficult to use and not reliable in its route suggestion.

Now i have the sd card garmin map pilot........and am still very irritated. The touchpad is a little easier to use than the controller which itself is a bit better than in the glk but there seems to be no city centre option, instead you have to plump for some location which could be the wrong side of town......also it seems to struggle with french names, today it simply could not accept a town name, it probably it needed a hyphen but none of the maps i had spelt it that way. Postcodes do not work well here as they cover several communes so are only good for large towns. It is also still plagued with silly routing at times. It is way better than my previous system but still not as intuitive or reliable as my tom tom......why?

It is hilarious with the pronounciation of road names in english though they make you smile sometimes once you have worked out paaareeee is paris! i have never tried the voice activation not sure it could cope but does anyone use it and is it simple. How many pages is the manual and is it worth downloading off the sd card?