C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Airmatic vs sport suspension

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-24-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400
Airmatic vs sport suspension

I took my c400 in to the dealer for the 2-3 rough shifts and the bermester speaker behind the command that makes a static noise.

They gave me a 2015 c300 with sport package as a loaner and the first thing I noticed is the difference in ride quality!

The difference between the airmatic and sport suspension is immense.

Here the differences I noticed:

- the sport suspension is stiffer than even the sport + setting on the airmatic.
The car is bouncier and rougher but feels tighter.

- the ride on the airmatic is much quieter over rough roads.

- the sport suspension is much more responsive in my opinion and handles better, furthermore, it does not give that feeling of delay on sharp turns like the airmatic gives.

In the end, I must say, I am very glad I got the airmatic because the car feels more like a luxury car but I can see how some would prefer the sport suspension over the airmatic!
Old 09-24-2015, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CLA-250, C-300
My engine light came on, and I also have a loaner, new c300 no sport package, very basic, still elegant with 17" wheels, etc.

The airmatic is the most value for the money option. I had air suspension before and although the wheelbase restricts the ride quality, it is almost on par with CLS or S class.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
It's a choice between better handling or better ride quality. There's no right answer, since not everyone is looking for the same thing. I'm in an area where the concept of a straight road is unknown, so I have always preferred a car with very sharp handling .... even at the expense of some ride comfort.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I'm with Stan on this. I don't think one is necessarily better than the other because we drivers are a diverse lot and we have different needs/expectations from the suspension in our cars.

I personally chose to not add the Air Suspension and go with the Sport Suspension. But that was my personal choice. I prefer a firmer/tighter feel and while the C I test drove with the Air Suspension was softer/plusher, in side by side driving, I personally enjoyed the Sport Suspension better.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB Sprinter RV
Air-suspension does smoothen the ride significantly (not completely like S-class but pretty close to it). I felt painful jolts on my back with a standard suspension, and they were all eliminated with the air susp.
Old 09-24-2015, 01:49 PM

2015 C400, Steel Grey, 4Matic
Some of that ride quality is due to run flat tires versus non run flats. I've had vehicles with 18 inch run flats and moved to a 19 inch with a lower profile non run flat and the ride was smoother. It's amazing the difference in ride quality between the two.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by rbrylaw

I personally chose to not add the Air Suspension and go with the Sport Suspension. But that was my personal choice. I prefer a firmer/tighter feel and while the C I test drove with the Air Suspension was softer/plusher, in side by side driving, I personally enjoyed the Sport Suspension better.
I totally agree...and this is why I opted for the Sport suspension w/19" AMG wheels. I thought the ride of the airmatic suspension, even in "Sport +" was too soft.

I for one am glad Mercedes gives it's customers a choice of suspension.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by MASSC300
I totally agree...and this is why I opted for the Sport suspension w/19" AMG wheels. I thought the ride of the airmatic suspension, even in "Sport +" was too soft.

Clearly, we're on the same page! +1
Old 09-24-2015, 04:04 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Everyone is different, so yes, no right answer. I ordered non-sport, but the factory put sport suspension on by mistake - I guess. Anyway I hate it. I haven't gone in for a service yet, but when I do I expect a fight when I tell them to give me what I ordered...
BTW, I found out when I did a VIN search.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Just a side note: whenever we discuss suspension characteristics, we should also include tire pressures in the discussion. If you use the pressures given on the door panel, your tires are over-inflated. The numbers inside the fuel door are what should be used, and adjusted for temperature.

I generally run 34 psi all around and find that to be an acceptable balance of ride and handling with the Sport suspension on the OEM 18" run flats.
Old 09-24-2015, 06:42 PM

2015 C400
Originally Posted by StanNH
Just a side note: whenever we discuss suspension characteristics, we should also include tire pressures in the discussion. If you use the pressures given on the door panel, your tires are over-inflated. The numbers inside the fuel door are what should be used, and adjusted for temperature.

I generally run 34 psi all around and find that to be an acceptable balance of ride and handling with the Sport suspension on the OEM 18" run flats.
Excellent point, tire pressure/side wall thickness and brand plays a big role in how a car rides.
In this case, both cars ride on 18 inch runflat continentals, however, I neglected to check the tire pressure on the loaner.

I keep my tires at 36psi cold all around.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 C43 Sedan and 2020 Volvo V60 CC
Originally Posted by MASSC300

My first W205 was a "Sport" w/19"s and I thought the ride was too harsh...I say "Sport" because my car was a Sport pkg car but built with the Comfort suspension. I bought 18"s for my winter setup and the ride got a bit better but still not what I expected when buying my first Mercedes.

I opted for the Airmatic on my second car and it rides exactly the way I imagined! I'm so happy that Mercedes offers Airmatic in the C-Class, without it I probably would not have given the model a second chance.
Old 09-25-2015, 09:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 MB Sprinter RV
Yes, it was smart move on part of MB to offer air suspension, customers like me (granted they are few ) would not have owned a C. I started my search two months ago my eyes set for an S-class, and here I am today sitting in a C-class

Originally Posted by Capt Slo
My first W205 was a "Sport" w/19"s and I thought the ride was too harsh...I say "Sport" because my car was a Sport pkg car but built with the Comfort suspension. I bought 18"s for my winter setup and the ride got a bit better but still not what I expected when buying my first Mercedes.

I opted for the Airmatic on my second car and it rides exactly the way I imagined! I'm so happy that Mercedes offers Airmatic in the C-Class, without it I probably would not have given the model a second chance.