C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Flooding in car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2015 | 11:33 AM

2011 C300 Sports (Manual Transmission
Unhappy Flooding in car?

Ok hope I'm in the right place? My car has flooded again for the second time. I live in South Florida and last month I had flooding in front of my house due to a clogged storm drain. The cars driving by created the water to reach the front of the car (rear facing) and flood inside on right side of car under carpets. There was enough so I had to wet vac and drain the water out through the plugs. I filed a claim with car insurance and luckily no major issue discovered at repair shop. Just had to dry everything out and grease all electronics.
Here's the problem. Again last night severe thunderstorm last night with no flooding seen but car is flooded again in same areas: right side passenger and back. Only difference now is the side of the consoles are also wet but not any other surrounding areas on sides such as carpet??? Could there be a leaky ice somewhere channeling this water? The repair shop says maybe an "ac plug" not allowing rain water to drain. I only have 29,000 miles on car and never had any additional upgrades done like alarm or radio etc. I am looking for some advise as car is back at repair shop. Thanks
Old 10-15-2015 | 03:47 PM

2015 C400
I don't know enough about how the car is put together to advise you where to look. But to me the seals would be the obvious place to look; doors and sunroof. If they visually look aok you might want to "force" the issue a little bit...run water over the top of your car (say a hose) while someone sits inside and looks/feels for moisture. Hopefully your mechanic is able to find something on his own.
Old 10-15-2015 | 04:02 PM

2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Sounds like your car is a W204 model, so be worth posting on that forum, to get more chance of relevant advice.

On a general note, the most likely issues here are leaky door seals, bulkhead seal issues or, if you have one, an issue with sunroof seals.

You sure that you, or the Repair Shop have not disturbed something while investigating the original flooding issues? Only most cars will leak in deep standing (flood) water - if your car were letting in water, to that extent, during heavy rain, it would have happened before - seems too much of a coincidence to me....
Old 10-15-2015 | 08:58 PM

2011 C300 Sports (Manual Transmission
Thanks for replying. I did check the obvious seals like windows and sunroof but no moisture seen or felt. Even dry inside door and trunk jams. The repair shop owner says he is going to remove molding around inside of the right side doors. Only carpet is wet on right side of car. The only thing I can think of is it did indeed flood again because of storm drain overflowed. The cars driving by creating the waves to hit underneath the right side only because of the angle of the storm drain is at 1:00 position but this still doesn't seem logical anyways as the waves aren't high enough to reach bottom of doors and hence why the sides inside are dry. It's when the carpet is removed can you see the pooling of water. I removed the bottom floor plugs and that's how I was able to drain the majority of it out. They were easy to remove and I wonder if them being plastic and not rubber and or glued somehow allowed the water to come in? Mechanic called today to say the insurance adjuster today was suspicious and so mechanic advised me to not say anything? The adjuster did write a check for the estimate at $176 and my deductible is $250. This is my first claim with State Farm Insurance in 25 yrs. I hope they don't think this aggravation and car rental expense (I pay 20%) is enjoyment for me. I'm waiting to hear because I want to know how the water is getting in! It's rained hard before and I've never experienced this issue on this car or any other of my previous cars.
Old 10-15-2015 | 11:36 PM

05 crossfire w/SL55 drivetrain installed by Rudy Compart Intake/Needswings best et-10.76 @ 129
take your car to JS Benz near 40th and 826, I think they can help jim

JSBENZ - Home Page
www.jsbenz.net/
7379 SW 45th St, Miami, FL 33155
(305) 269-8999