C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Driving the C400 in the winter

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 03:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving the C400 in the winter

Hello it has been a while since I have been on the MB forums, since I had sold the previous MB, gone to BMW, then Porsche for myself, and now back to a MB C400 for my wife.
The C400 supposedly has all season tires? Is that correct?
They are a staggered set up. Will they work ok for a mid west winter,
or should I get snow tires?
Thanks,
Old 11-02-2015, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by khaiser

The C400 supposedly has all season tires? Is that correct?
Depends on the size wheels you got...18" yes, all-season...19" no, Summer tires.

Will they work ok for a mid west winter, or should I get snow tires?
Depends on how well they plow & treat the roads in your parts. I'm going to try these stock 18" Continental all-season tires this Winter myself, and if they suck, I'll switch to a performance Winter tire.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by MASSC300
Depends on the size wheels you got...18" yes, all-season...19" no, Summer tires.

Depends on how well they plow & treat the roads in your parts. I'm going to try these stock 18" Continental all-season tires this Winter myself, and if they suck, I'll switch to a performance Winter tire.
Thanks, we got the 18inch so we don't have to deal with winter tires..
Old 11-03-2015, 08:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
The simple fact is that no all-season tire can provide the same stopping, steering, or acceleration performance of a dedicated winter tire. The compounds and tread designs used are very different, and winter tires will stay flexible and provide greater traction at lower temperatures than all-seasons.

Many people can do fine with all-seasons but, in harsher climates where snow and/or ice are common, winter tires provide a significant improvement in overall traction. An AWD car with winter tires is the best option, but even RWD and FWD cars will benefit greatly in winter driving conditions.

The additional cost and the nuisance of switching wheels and tires are obviously factors in making a decision, but the benefits do outweigh the negatives for many people.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH
The simple fact is that no all-season tire can provide the same stopping, steering, or acceleration performance of a dedicated winter tire. The compounds and tread designs used are very different, and winter tires will stay flexible and provide greater traction at lower temperatures than all-seasons.

Many people can do fine with all-seasons but, in harsher climates where snow and/or ice are common, winter tires provide a significant improvement in overall traction. An AWD car with winter tires is the best option, but even RWD and FWD cars will benefit greatly in winter driving conditions.

The additional cost and the nuisance of switching wheels and tires are obviously factors in making a decision, but the benefits do outweigh the negatives for many people.
I agree, I have used winter tires on a Rwd car and they make a huge difference. However, I have used and currently use Conti all season DWS on my Porsche cayanne S and for the midwest winters, they have worked great!
I will see how the current tires on the c400 work out this winter. When we get very bad snow, everything usually closes down.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
If you live where snow is a constant winter companion, snow tires are always the right answer. AWD, 4WD or whatever only assist you in getting going. They do nothing to improve braking turning nor handling. In fact in curves it my even be detrimental since its putting torque on all tires at the same time making them more apt to loose traction when they might have the least amount of friction, this is one of the main reasons the first guys you see in the ditch are the ones in SUV's.
Never use summer tires in the snow. We have had a couple of below 40 snaps in my neck of the woods, my Pilot supper sports have become like rocks, no flat spotting but they sure don't like it and dont perform half as good as they should. In snow they would be utterly useless since they are almost slicks with no sipes to speak of. My snow tires come on this week.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by c4004matic
If you live where snow is a constant winter companion, snow tires are always the right answer. AWD, 4WD or whatever only assist you in getting going. They do nothing to improve braking turning nor handling. In fact in curves it my even be detrimental since its putting torque on all tires at the same time making them more apt to loose traction when they might have the least amount of friction, this is one of the main reasons the first guys you see in the ditch are the ones in SUV's.
Never use summer tires in the snow. We have had a couple of below 40 snaps in my neck of the woods, my Pilot supper sports have become like rocks, no flat spotting but they sure don't like it and dont perform half as good as they should. In snow they would be utterly useless since they are almost slicks with no sipes to speak of. My snow tires come on this week.
Snow is a hit or miss for us. Usually the roads are quickly cleaned up, and if its really coming down hard, they close everything early..
However, I have managed with conti DWS all seasons on my car, but the C400 has conti all seasons, not sure exactly what they are. Are these summer tires?
Old 11-03-2015, 10:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C400
it really depends on the location. All season or summer tires are only good until 7c degree. To me, tires are the only parts that is between your car and the road. the contact area is only as large as a credit card. Why risk your life, and other commuters? No matter if you have AWD, 4matic, 4wd, whatever you name, it won't help you to stop and to control your car with other tires than winter's.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by Takobo
it really depends on the location. All season or summer tires are only good until 7c degree. To me, tires are the only parts that is between your car and the road. the contact area is only as large as a credit card. Why risk your life, and other commuters? No matter if you have AWD, 4matic, 4wd, whatever you name, it won't help you to stop and to control your car with other tires than winter's.
Exactly how I feel about it. There was recently yet another car magazine article about the importance of using winter tires in cold and/or snowy regions. That particular article stated that only 35% of cars in these areas had winter tires on them which, to me, is very surprising.

I've driven in cold areas for many years, and have had all seasons and winter tires on RWD, FWD, and AWD cars. I have also taken several winter driving classes. For me anyway, I will never go through a winter driving season without dedicated snow tires on my car. Unfortunately, most people will never know how important that is until it's too late.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Bil

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2013 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2000 Mustang GT Vert. Supercharged
Agree with Stan, I have dedicated winter tire for my cars since 1987.

Up here in the province of Quebec, Canada, snow tire are mandatory from December 15 to March 15 for passenger vehicle registered in Quebec. No matter what you are driving, RWD. AWD,4WD, cars and light trucks must have winter tire identified with the snow flake pictogram
Old 11-04-2015, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,098 Likes on 726 Posts
17 E43; 21 GLS580
Originally Posted by khaiser
Snow is a hit or miss for us. Usually the roads are quickly cleaned up, and if its really coming down hard, they close everything early..
However, I have managed with conti DWS all seasons on my car, but the C400 has conti all seasons, not sure exactly what they are. Are these summer tires?
Non OEM. The optional 19 inch rims also have summer contis.