C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

My New Canadian C450

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C450; 2008 RX400h
My New Canadian C450

After much delay, on Monday I picked up my new C450 on a 39 month lease. Iridium Silver with dark ash trim and Artico/Dynamica seats, premium package, LED lights with adaptive high-beam assist and the Intelligent Drive Package. To get the car earlier, this car was a dealer trade and unfortunately the configuration was frozen so I couldn't add the 360 camera.

I am coming from a 2012 e350 that I leased for 4 years. The interior does not feel cramped in comparison (but it is obviously smaller). There is plenty of room to stretch out in the front seats (although the sports seats are naturally a snug fit). The dynamica really holds onto you. My kids tell me that they have more legroom in the rear seats than in the e class, but I think that's just the excitement of the new car talking. The great waterfall console is beautiful, but I find that using the cup holders placed the media/radio/navi buttons behind your cup. As well, I find the buttons on the back of the new touch controller to be too far back (but maybe I just need to adjust the seat back more). The Comand Display is exactly where you need it and does not in any way detract from the beauty or functionality of the interior.

The cruise and signal stalk positions are swapped from the positions in my 2012 e350. After 3 days, I am still reaching for the wrong stalk. I appreciate that MB switched the stalks so they would be more like other cars, but I wish they made the cruise stalk a little longer so it would be easier to use.

Intelligent drive is a really nice feature, especially if you use the cruise control a lot (which I do). I find that the car slows down too quickly for slower traffic (it should slow down sooner and more gradually) and that it accelerates too slowly once the traffic speeds up (although I think the system is just trying to put some extra space in between). The steering assist does make the steering wheel feel strange on turns, almost like the car is driving along a rut and you feel the extra effort to steer out of it.

The engine is a dream (at least to the somewhat gentle pace I am putting it through). The engine revs smoothly and sounds great. I appreciate that this is an AMG Sport, not you momma's e class, so I expect to hear more road and engine noise. However, the exhaust drone between 100 and 120km/h is very annoying, especially for long highway trips.

Fortunately, the Burmester sound system is plenty loud. It is much better than the HK system in my e350. It seems to play all sources better, with better dynamic range across all frequencies. I found the HK to lacked bass and is much too strong in the mid range for which there was no control. Never the less, thank you for the midrange control in the Burmester (which I only need to set to -1). I do find the sub to sound overdriven, so you have to be careful not to push the base too high in the equalizer or you can hear the distortion.

The suspension is fantastic. I find the comfort setting to be very comfortable, much more so than the sport suspension in the C300 (but is louder over sharp bumps). Although you can easily feel the difference between the comfort and sport+ plus, I find the comfort suspension to be adequate for daily driving, but its good to know that its there when its time to scoot up that curved on ramp! I assume the negative camber gives the car that feeling of fantastic stability, even when driving in a straight line.

Visually, the silver paint shows the lines of the car and contrasts really well with the blacked out trim and mirrors and black trim 18" wheels. I tinted the windows so with the panoramic roof, the car is a visual study in contrasts! I thought the diamond grill is gimmicky, but it blends well with the silver paint.

Lastly, the LED lights are brighter and whiter than the xenons in my e350. The auto high beam feature also works much better. My e350 would get easily confused by roadside reflectors and beam down, but the C450 seems to stay on the high beams longer. When an oncoming car crests a hill and comes into view, the car very quickly cuts the beam down.

Overall, the C450 is a great, well balanced car.
Old 12-02-2015, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by First-e320
After much delay, on Monday I picked up my new C450 on a 39 month lease. Iridium Silver with dark ash trim and Artico/Dynamica seats, premium package, LED lights with adaptive high-beam assist and the Intelligent Drive Package. To get the car earlier, this car was a dealer trade and unfortunately the configuration was frozen so I couldn't add the 360 camera.

I am coming from a 2012 e350 that I leased for 4 years. The interior does not feel cramped in comparison (but it is obviously smaller). There is plenty of room to stretch out in the front seats (although the sports seats are naturally a snug fit). The dynamica really holds onto you. My kids tell me that they have more legroom in the rear seats than in the e class, but I think that's just the excitement of the new car talking. The great waterfall console is beautiful, but I find that using the cup holders placed the media/radio/navi buttons behind your cup. As well, I find the buttons on the back of the new touch controller to be too far back (but maybe I just need to adjust the seat back more). The Comand Display is exactly where you need it and does not in any way detract from the beauty or functionality of the interior.

The cruise and signal stalk positions are swapped from the positions in my 2012 e350. After 3 days, I am still reaching for the wrong stalk. I appreciate that MB switched the stalks so they would be more like other cars, but I wish they made the cruise stalk a little longer so it would be easier to use.

Intelligent drive is a really nice feature, especially if you use the cruise control a lot (which I do). I find that the car slows down too quickly for slower traffic (it should slow down sooner and more gradually) and that it accelerates too slowly once the traffic speeds up (although I think the system is just trying to put some extra space in between). The steering assist does make the steering wheel feel strange on turns, almost like the car is driving along a rut and you feel the extra effort to steer out of it.

The engine is a dream (at least to the somewhat gentle pace I am putting it through). The engine revs smoothly and sounds great. I appreciate that this is an AMG Sport, not you momma's e class, so I expect to hear more road and engine noise. However, the exhaust drone between 100 and 120km/h is very annoying, especially for long highway trips.

Fortunately, the Burmester sound system is plenty loud. It is much better than the HK system in my e350. It seems to play all sources better, with better dynamic range across all frequencies. I found the HK to lacked bass and is much too strong in the mid range for which there was no control. Never the less, thank you for the midrange control in the Burmester (which I only need to set to -1). I do find the sub to sound overdriven, so you have to be careful not to push the base too high in the equalizer or you can hear the distortion.

The suspension is fantastic. I find the comfort setting to be very comfortable, much more so than the sport suspension in the C300 (but is louder over sharp bumps). Although you can easily feel the difference between the comfort and sport+ plus, I find the comfort suspension to be adequate for daily driving, but its good to know that its there when its time to scoot up that curved on ramp! I assume the negative camber gives the car that feeling of fantastic stability, even when driving in a straight line.

Visually, the silver paint shows the lines of the car and contrasts really well with the blacked out trim and mirrors and black trim 18" wheels. I tinted the windows so with the panoramic roof, the car is a visual study in contrasts! I thought the diamond grill is gimmicky, but it blends well with the silver paint.

Lastly, the LED lights are brighter and whiter than the xenons in my e350. The auto high beam feature also works much better. My e350 would get easily confused by roadside reflectors and beam down, but the C450 seems to stay on the high beams longer. When an oncoming car crests a hill and comes into view, the car very quickly cuts the beam down.

Congratulations! As another E350 trader to the C Class, I hear you on the placement of the stalks. Now after a month, I'm finally using the right stalk to indicate I'm turning. The first week, I just kept turning on cruise control. But I am happy they finally put the stalks where most other's do. And for the first week, I kept trying to change gears with the Comand Controller as I'd never had the on the column shifter until now. It all becomes second nature though very quickly.

I also agree the Burmester is a great system. Much better than the HK Logic 7 I had in my E Coupe.

Now. Pictures or it didn't happen! So get clicking and posting.

Last edited by rbrylaw; 12-02-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 10:26 AM

2015 C450; 2008 RX400h
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
Pictures or it didn't happen! So get clicking and posting.
OK. Here is a quickie from my cell phone.
Attached Thumbnails My New Canadian C450-c450a.jpg  
Old 12-03-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Thanks for the post!

Fellow Canadian here with a C450 on order. Build date 10 Feb 2016 so still a ways out. Allocations are rare in my part of the country.

I am concerned with your comment on the exhaust noise between 100-120km... How annoying is it? Does it overpower the radio at normal volumes?

I do most of my traveling on the freeway at 110-120 km/h... I didn't really notice it much during my test drive but I guess I was more excited about testing the performance than focusing on quietness at certain speeds...

I, too, also have the standard seats ordered. Let me know how you like them and how they feel.

Pics!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
OK. Here is a quickie from my cell phone.
Beautiful! Enjoy in health and happiness!
Old 12-03-2015, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 58 Posts
2012 E550 Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2013 Lexus GS350, 2003 Honda VFR, 2017 Yamaha Kodiak 700 EPS SE
Very nice! Congrats!
Old 12-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450
Originally Posted by nvestr
Thanks for the post!

Fellow Canadian here with a C450 on order. Build date 10 Feb 2016 so still a ways out. Allocations are rare in my part of the country.

I am concerned with your comment on the exhaust noise between 100-120km... How annoying is it? Does it overpower the radio at normal volumes?

I do most of my traveling on the freeway at 110-120 km/h... I didn't really notice it much during my test drive but I guess I was more excited about testing the performance than focusing on quietness at certain speeds...

I, too, also have the standard seats ordered. Let me know how you like them and how they feel.

Pics!
I'm in Seattle. It is a very low frequency rumble, rather like road noise. It doesn't bother me, but you best be sure.
Old 12-03-2015, 01:16 PM
mvw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG; 2015 Infiniti QX60
Thanks for the post!

Pics!
I don't think it's as big of a deal as some make it out to be, but the other way around it is to put the car in sport mode. Same thing happens at lower speed when going uphill. The noise is just because the engine is in a certain "sweet spot" that creates that particular sound, but changing the gear fixes that problem.

Wind noise on the other hand can be more of an issue, but for some worse than others. Mine seems abut the same as my old 328, which wasn't great.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:27 PM

C450
winter rims and tires

Just purchased a new C450 with 19" wheels and summer performance tires in Ontario.
Went to buy winter tires and rims and unable to source anywhere.
MB says they are back ordered with no known delivery date.
I dont want to put snows on my "summer rims"
Can anybody help?
Old 12-03-2015, 08:21 PM

2015 C450; 2008 RX400h
It is a low frequency rumble that is more noticeable at those highway speeds. You not only hear it, but you feel it too. Then again, I just came from an e class, so I may be more sensitive to this right now. I have no misconceptions that this is an AMG sport and not a luxury cruiser, but the harmonics seem to hit this sweet sport. I think the harmonics just line up well at just over 2000 rpm. It seems much quieter at 125 km/h, but I do not want to go faster to see. I will try dropping to 6th to see if the rpms jump up enough to make the drone go away, but I am not sure I want to sacrifice that much gas mileage.

I find the seats very comfortable. The seats grip your sides tightly, but that is more of me not being used to such a seat design (compared to the broad seats in my e class). At first the dynamica looked cheap, but that feeling quickly went away.
Old 12-03-2015, 11:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
15 Mercedes C400, 12 Mercedes C250 coupe
Originally Posted by goneover
Just purchased a new C450 with 19" wheels and summer performance tires in Ontario.
Went to buy winter tires and rims and unable to source anywhere.
MB says they are back ordered with no known delivery date.
I dont want to put snows on my "summer rims"
Can anybody help?
give tireconnections a call, i just got mine 2 days ago.
Ask For Raffi and say Angelo with a C400 sent you!

they have really great prices and good customer service, and of course i trust them with my car! here's my setup

went with Michelin X-Ice XI3 with AMG replicas
Old 12-04-2015, 09:36 AM

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by angeloxnet
give tireconnections a call, i just got mine 2 days ago.
Ask For Raffi and say Angelo with a C400 sent you!

they have really great prices and good customer service, and of course i trust them with my car! here's my setup

went with Michelin X-Ice XI3 with AMG replicas
The C450 has bigger brakes and calipers, so wheels that fit on a C400 don't necessarily fit on a C450. It is offset/clearance issue with the caliper...

My car will arrive in March so I will have up until November 2016 to figure out what I'm doing for winters, hopefully Replika comes out with a properly offsetted wheel to fit on the 450...
Old 12-04-2015, 09:38 AM

2016 C450 AMG
It is a low frequency rumble that is more noticeable at those highway speeds. You not only hear it, but you feel it too. Then again, I just came from an e class, so I may be more sensitive to this right now. I have no misconceptions that this is an AMG sport and not a luxury cruiser, but the harmonics seem to hit this sweet sport. I think the harmonics just line up well at just over 2000 rpm. It seems much quieter at 125 km/h, but I do not want to go faster to see. I will try dropping to 6th to see if the rpms jump up enough to make the drone go away, but I am not sure I want to sacrifice that much gas mileage.

I find the seats very comfortable. The seats grip your sides tightly, but that is more of me not being used to such a seat design (compared to the broad seats in my e class). At first the dynamica looked cheap, but that feeling quickly went away.
Thanks - hopefully I'll be able to deal with it. Constant noises usually don't bother me much so fingers crossed. One of the reasons I really enjoyed the C450 is the AMG Sport Exhaust - I guess you can't have the nice sound without it interfering at unwanted times...
Old 12-04-2015, 10:25 AM

2016 Mercedes C450 AMG, 2015 BMW X5 x35i Luxury
Congrats on the new ride! I'm definitely looking forward to picking up my car when it arrives in Feb!

Are you planning on getting winter tires/rims? Please let us know what tire and wheel specs work with the 450.
Old 12-04-2015, 12:03 PM

2015 C450; 2008 RX400h
Originally Posted by chango450
Congrats on the new ride! I'm definitely looking forward to picking up my car when it arrives in Feb!

Are you planning on getting winter tires/rims? Please let us know what tire and wheel specs work with the 450.
No. There is just not enough snow where I am to justify the cost of a second set of rims and tires. This was one of the reasons I stuck with the 18" rims as all the 19" rims come with summer tires only (the other is the more comfortable ride).
Old 12-04-2015, 01:11 PM

2016 Mercedes C450 AMG, 2015 BMW X5 x35i Luxury
No. There is just not enough snow where I am to justify the cost of a second set of rims and tires. This was one of the reasons I stuck with the 18" rims as all the 19" rims come with summer tires only (the other is the more comfortable ride).
Thats true...so far we've had a very mild winter. I opted for the 19in option, so I'll need to buy winters regardless- especially since I live up north, which gets a lot more snow than downtown Toronto.
Old 12-05-2015, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The C450 has bigger brakes and calipers, so wheels that fit on a C400 don't necessarily fit on a C450. It is offset/clearance issue with the caliper...

My car will arrive in March so I will have up until November 2016 to figure out what I'm doing for winters, hopefully Replika comes out with a properly offsetted wheel to fit on the 450...
I was actually responding to the other post where he was trying to buy winters now, just an FYI the C450 comes with 18" wheels stock and 19" optional, which is what my winters are, i dont think the offset would differ too much on the same W205 platform.

I came from a W204 and I did have to run a 5mm and 3mm spacer on my Vossen's to clear the big brakes but Im sure 18's would be more than enough with 40 offset.

for a reasonable set depending on tire brand, packages are aprox $1200 to $1600 with allorys and tires, but dealer was asking $3000+ lol

Last edited by angeloxnet; 12-05-2015 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:51 PM

2016 C450 AMG
I was actually responding to the other post where he was trying to buy winters now, just an FYI the C450 comes with 18" wheels stock and 19" optional, which is what my winters are, i dont think the offset would differ too much on the same W205 platform.

I came from a W204 and I did have to run a 5mm and 3mm spacer on my Vossen's to clear the big brakes but Im sure 18's would be more than enough with 40 offset.

for a reasonable set depending on tire brand, packages are aprox $1200 to $1600 with allorys and tires, but dealer was asking $3000+ lol
I have not tried myself, but based on other posts on this forum, you need a very specific wheel to fit on the C450. It is not a matter of wheel diameter (18 vs 19), it's an offset/clearance issue. If there is too much offset, the spokes will rub the caliper, and if there's too little offset (or too much wheel width), the inside of the wheel will not clear the suspension. This is my understanding, anyway. As far as I know, there is no reasonably priced aftermarket wheel that has been confirmed to fit the C450...

Discussion here : https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-sport-2.html
Old 12-10-2015, 03:39 PM

2016 C450 AMG // 2015 ML550 // 2014 911 Carrera 4

I can confirm to you that the stock C400 18' wheels DO NOT fit the C450. I tried and it's a no go.

So far, I have been unable to find an aftermarket set of wheels that fit my C450.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LogicDSS
I can confirm to you that the stock C400 18' wheels DO NOT fit the C450. I tried and it's a no go.

So far, I have been unable to find an aftermarket set of wheels that fit my C450.
maybe use of a 5mm spacer?
what is the OEM offset of the c450 wheels?
Old 12-11-2015, 05:21 PM

2016 C450 AMG

Congratulations on the car "First e-320". Looks great!!

Can I ask when you ordered yours? I placed my order on 9/22 for a mid-October build and December delivery, then was quickly delayed to a December build, and now its a Jan 5/2016 build and ETA on Feb 20. I was originally told it was because of the red leather I ordered but am questioning that.
Old 12-11-2015, 09:40 PM

2015 C450; 2008 RX400h
Originally Posted by Waleee
Can I ask when you ordered yours? I placed my order on 9/22 for a mid-October build and December delivery, then was quickly delayed to a December build, and now its a Jan 5/2016 build and ETA on Feb 20. I was originally told it was because of the red leather I ordered but am questioning that.
My original order was placed on Sept 11 for a mid to late December delivery. Fortunately, my dealer was able to do a dealer trade for a car with an earlier build date so I was could get an earlier delivery. My new car was originally ordered Aug 6, built Oct 21 and delivered Nov 19.
Old 12-18-2015, 04:26 PM

2016 C450
Hey Goneover, I'll be getting my C450 around April. I'll definitely need to think about winter rims/tires for next winter.

In the meantime, I was doing a bit of research and stumbled on this website: www.tirerack.com and they have a few options for winter tires for the C450.

Screenshots below.

Cheers.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:56 PM

C450
Thanks

Thanks for the info but getting the tires isnt the issue. Finding a rim that will fit is the problem.
So far no one has rims to fit.