C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Aftermarket or cheaper alternative to reverse camera.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 Luxury
Aftermarket or cheaper alternative to reverse camera.

Hi Guys, just got my W205 without COMAND. Is there a another route that I can take on having a rear view camera? I really don't need one, but eversince I got my car, the GF wants to drive. And since we're in San Francisco, parallel parking is a must. I already asked the dealer and they told me it's only available on another package which costs like $2k more. I don't want those reverse cams with another display or replacing my rear view mirror. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Old 12-14-2015, 11:21 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...y-install.html
Old 12-15-2015, 03:24 AM

C300 Luxury

Wholly Molly. I wouldnt dare do that to my brand new car. I simply dont have the skills, courage and patience to do what he just did. He's good, but that route is not for me.

I was browsing through amazon awhile ago and found a garmin GPS with rearview camera. I might try that instead. I don't usually use in-car gps since i rely heavily on waze but I'd try that one and see how it goes.

Anyone familiar with this GPS? Heres the link:
Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 2798LMT Portable GPS with Backup Camera: GPS & Navigation Amazon.com: Garmin nüvi 2798LMT Portable GPS with Backup Camera: GPS & Navigation
Old 12-15-2015, 05:15 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
You said you didn't want one with another display or to replace your rear view ... that Garmin gizmo is going to look fugly in that nice new Merc and even that will need power and a mounting position on the rear of the car somewhere.

If you don't feel you have the skills, maybe get some quotes from a car audio installer - they would do that kind of work blindfolded.
Old 12-15-2015, 06:54 PM

C300 Luxury
Originally Posted by DBOC205
You said you didn't want one with another display or to replace your rear view ... that Garmin gizmo is going to look fugly in that nice new Merc and even that will need power and a mounting position on the rear of the car somewhere.

If you don't feel you have the skills, maybe get some quotes from a car audio installer - they would do that kind of work blindfolded.
I guess you're right. I really don't need one but for my 3 day old car to be dismantled just so my GF could park "properly", no. I'd rather not let her park on the streets.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2015, 10:16 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
The Costco Experience

My local Costco has wireless DIY kits for $120. As I recall it is completely free-standing (no connection to your vehicle's electronics). A camera and transmitter fastens above the rear license plate, with one of the license plate mounting bolts. (This would make it easily stolen, but what good would it be to a thief without the other end, the receiver and screen? That unit is inside the car and, like a free-standing GPS, not necessarily visible when the car is parked.) The camera and transmitter needs a power connection to the tail lights. I did not look at the kit long enough to see how the receiver and screen is mounted and powered. The kit states that the purchaser can do it himself, have a telephone hot-line walk him through the installation, or ask for a list of recommended installers in his area.

With its free-standing screen, this kit would be suitable only for MBs whose owners had spent absolutely all of their money on their new MB! However, it might be useful for an MB owner's other car, truck, camper, or even boat trailer.