C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Lets talk about tipping

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C300
Lets talk about tipping

I'm in the USA so answers might be different where you live, so state your location.
If you bring the Benz in for warranted work do you tip the same as yearly scheduled maintenance?
Better yet do you tip at all?
Old 12-19-2015, 09:59 AM

2015 C 400, 2011 ML 550, 2014 Kia Sorento SX
"Quick Silver on the third" is the most I would tip.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
It never once occurred to me that I might tip someone who is already charging $120/hr.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:58 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
I'm a CPA. I don't expect to be tipped for doing your taxes.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
US - Tampa, FL

I have never, nor will I tip for service I'm paying for. That said, my dealer does offer free car washes, 7 days a week. When I get my car back from the guy who brings my car up after washing, I do give him or her a tip. Typically $5.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
why would you ever tip a car dealer? they rob you enough.. the thought has never even crossed my mind
Old 12-19-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 MB C300 (W205) 1969 MB 280SL (W113)
I have always sent a Christmas card with a check enclosed to my independent MB mechanic that services my SL. No "tip" for the dealer though.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
If you want an outstanding customer service experience, pick a SA, stay with the same guy/girl and when the corporate MB survey comes in your email, rate your service a 10 across the board. If anything positive stood out...they stayed late so you could pick up that night, etc. note it in the comments section. Those get read aloud at staff meetings. Huge deal to the SA, his boss, the GM and corporate.

Also, the question "did anyone at the dealership tell you to expect a survey" is no.

Once the SA associates you and your car with good scores, you're golden and they will bend over backwards to take care of you. They live and die and are bonused by the survey, and for overall satisfaction anything below a 10 is considered a fail, so no "9" nonsense because your seat position was reset. That one question is the only one that's scored for your SA, so 10s everywhere else are useless.

That said, if you're unhappy, deal with it at the dealership directly. Don't act like everything is fine and then wait until you're behind your computer to grow a pair. SA's loathe those customers who burn them on a survey without ever giving them a chance to fix whatever it is you're unhappy about.

You don't want to be that customer. Trust me.

One last thing. If you stop by the service lane for a free wash and your SA is swamped and tearing his hair out
wash your own car. If you want to be a real hero, tell them not to bother with the wash/vac after a service visit either. It creates a little cushion in the schedule that's very much appreciated.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:20 PM

MB C300
Great advice...

Originally Posted by Mike5215
If you want an outstanding customer service experience, pick a SA, stay with the same guy/girl and when the corporate MB survey comes in your email, rate your service a 10 across the board. If anything positive stood out...they stayed late so you could pick up that night, etc. note it in the comments section. Those get read aloud at staff meetings. Huge deal to the SA, his boss, the GM and corporate.

Also, the question "did anyone at the dealership tell you to expect a survey" is no.

Once the SA associates you and your car with good scores, you're golden and they will bend over backwards to take care of you. They live and die and are bonused by the survey, and for overall satisfaction anything below a 10 is considered a fail, so no "9" nonsense because your seat position was reset. That one question is the only one that's scored for your SA, so 10s everywhere else are useless.

That said, if you're unhappy, deal with it at the dealership directly. Don't act like everything is fine and then wait until you're behind your computer to grow a pair. SA's loathe those customers who burn them on a survey without ever giving them a chance to fix whatever it is you're unhappy about.

One last thing. If you stop by the service lane for a free wash and your SA is swamped and tearing his hair out
wash your own car. If you want to be a real hero, tell them not to bother with the wash/vac after a service visit either. It creates a little cushion in the schedule that's very much appreciated.
Thanks, it's good advice. I owned a Infiniti and did just that.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:22 PM

2015 C 400, 2011 ML 550, 2014 Kia Sorento SX
10 out of 10 on the service etc at my Dealer.

They deserve nothing less than a 10!
Old 12-19-2015, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Originally Posted by Mike5215

Great advice, and not just about your MB Dealer.

In summary:

a) address your grievances directly to them in the usual course of business

b) tell everyone it was great. if you did a) it was, because they addressed your needs.

c) don't be a passive aggressive back biting spineless bish that says one thing to someones' face and something else behind their back.

Excellent advice EVERYONE should follow EVERY DAY, and not just at the MB Dealer.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I tipped the guy that washed the car or brought it to me in the past at the same rate as carwash $5-10. I don't do that anymore.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:19 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
when I got my first MB, I sent my SA an Edible Arrangement to try and butter her up for the future........but I still got CRAP service, there were a couple of guys I liked in the shop, but for the most part everyone looks down their nose at you........seemingly no matter how many cars you buy from them..........

NO ONE at a dealer ship (IMO) deserves a tip, despite whatever disguise they have on.....they are a dealership and are TRAINED to screw you over
Old 12-20-2015, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by hyperion667
when I got my first MB, I sent my SA an Edible Arrangement to try and butter her up for the future........but I still got CRAP service, there were a couple of guys I liked in the shop, but for the most part everyone looks down their nose at you........seemingly no matter how many cars you buy from them..........

NO ONE at a dealer ship (IMO) deserves a tip, despite whatever disguise they have on.....they are a dealership and are TRAINED to screw you over
It's true that they are constantly torn between making corporate and the franchise owners happy versus making the individual customers happy because they have competing goals.

The business wants maximized revenue. The customer wants maximum coddling. In a Ven diagram there would be a thin sliver of commonality.

This is true of any business that serves the public.

I'm just suggesting ways you can be in that sliver. But if your local franchise is run by a bunch of dicks, I do see your point. I'm fortunate in that my SA and his family became friends with me and my family, which is why I probably have more insight from the SA side than most owners.
Old 12-20-2015, 11:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by hyperion667

WOW.......You clearly need a different dealer. I've never felt I was looked down on, nor treated as anything than a customer who deserves respect and the best service they can offer. Pity you haven't been treated that way.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:00 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
I tipped once and that was at a Ford dealer. I was in for some warranty work and wanted some up grades added in the engine area. Mechanic told me if I went and got the parts he'd install them no charge which would have meant me tearing the turbo out. Gave him a $50. We were both happy.
Old 12-20-2015, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 T&C & '14 SL63
Yeah, I think it's a little hard to truly appreciate the can't win position the mechanics are in.

Do the job "right" and the customer complains about being gouged on hours. Cut corners, and the customer complains when it fails prematurely due to those cut corners.

MOST mechanics genuinely want to make the car right. Most. Want. Some aren't really free to do so, and some aren't really competent, and some jsut don't care. But most really do want to. But cars tend not to behave rationally. They break. And they really aren't supposed to. And that just pisses people off. It pisses off the customers, of course, but it also pisses off the mfr and the dealer who has to fix it out of pocket.

And then it can be hard to tell if a car was abused, or if it just broke on it's own. And it can be hard to tell if 60 hours for an oil pump is because the engine has to come out to get to it, or if the service manager has braces to pay for. So there's a lot of distrust. Going BOTH ways.

And for every jackass in the car business, there's at least 10 jackass customers they have to deal with every single week.

The problem is just that the entire car business is just unpleasant to deal with. It really does just bring out the worst in people. On both sides of the desk.

Last edited by nycphotography; 12-20-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, car sales pre-internet were massively shady operations. Buyers had almost no info at their disposal, and there was no end to the kind of slimy stuff sales guys did to extract your money.

My uncle Dave was a car salesman in the 60's. His first job was at a Buick dealership. His first week, at the daily morning staff meeting, the GM singled him out. "I just got off the phone with one of Dave's customers, and the guy was pissed. He said he left with the new car and didn't know how much he'd paid for it, what his payments would be, how much he got for his trade..."

My uncle held his breath... "Nice job Dave. Everyone else, try to be like Dave."

That sort of attitude permanently soured the relationship between the dealerships and the customers and it lingers today.

There's a great insider book on car sales called "Don't Get Taken Every Time" by Remar Sutton. Everybody should read and memorize that book before their next deal.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300, 2015 F-350 Platinum, 1969 Mach 1 428cj, 2007 Roadking
Bottom line, if it's a warranty problem I always insist on talking to the tech.