C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

REVIEW: RaceChip Ultimate Connect (on C250 Bluetec)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:08 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
REVIEW: RaceChip Ultimate Connect (on C250 Bluetec)

Disclaimer: I have no commercial interest, involvement or sponsorship from RaceChip or its agents. This test was purely conducted under my own costs and for my own benefit.

----

A while ago I started looking into chiptuning products that were out in the market suitable for the W205 (namely, for my C250 Bluetec AMG Line). The C250 Bluetec (and now the C250d) have the highest output variant of the well established OM651 Bi-turbo engine. Claimed factory torque is a very beefy 500 Nm @ 1600–1800/rpm , which certainly is enough grunt to get the sedan moving swiftly in the low rev range.

Although the engine is nearing the end of it's lifespan, Mercedes has indicated that the OM651 is not at the peak of its power output capabilities yet. So, curiosity got the better of me and I examined chip tuning to see how much I could stretch that performance.

I looked at a few products, including those from Brabus, RaceChip and CPA Chiptuning. My product of choice was in the end the RaceChip since it seemed to offer good features and an established product track record.

The ordering and delivery process was slightly troubled, but after four weeks everything arrived safely.

What's in the box:
  1. RaceChip Ultimate Connect
    This is the top of the line product from RaceChip (i.e. fastest processor; therefore highest spec output). The Ultimate can be ordered with a smart phone (bluetooth) interface (i.e. the "Connect" reference).
  2. Installation Guide
    Unfortunately the installation instructions provided in my pack were for a petrol, and not the diesel, but their German HQ tech support and sorted everything out quickly.
  3. Wiring Harness for your car
    This is a splice harness (i.e. it has plug connections for the required sensors)
  4. Plenty of cable ties for the install.

Installation:
  • This is actually very straight forward. The diesel chip intercepts two sensors on the car (the common rail sensor, and the boost pressure).

• You remove the engine cover and look for the connectors. It's then simply a matter of unplugging the vehicle connectors, plugging in the RaceChip harness into the sensors, and then plugging the vehicle connectors into the RaceChip harness.
  • You then connect the RaceChip module to the harness using the proprietary connector (a nice unit). The chip also comes with a "Deactivation" plug which can be used to plug into the same connector to essentially remove the RaceChip without needing to undo the wiring harness points to the engine.

• I mounted the chip near the battery for ease of access, but there's no other connections required.

Usage:

Once the chip has been plugged in, you start the ignition and use your phone to connect to the chip via blootooth. An app is provided for both Apple and Android phones. A serial number confirms the correct connection and you can adjust between the different settings (ie. OFF, Efficiency, Sport, Race) simply by selecting the required mode. The app also incorporates a timer which can be used to allow the engine to warm up before the chiptuning activates.

Test Performance:
The product promised significant performance gains (+57 hp and +120 Nm). To confirm these numbers I booked the car into a Dyno and we ran the car through all possible modes.

In readiness for the tests the car was placed into Dynomometer mode (from the workshop menu in the central display). In lieu of a full manual gearbox mode, the Agility settings were on Individual with Sport+ performance and manual gear selection. Even in this mode we were unable to keep the car in the same gear right up to the 5000 RPM redline (with the gearbox kicking up to the next gear around 4300)
  • Test 1; The deactivation plug was put into the wiring harness to get a baseline "Stock" run.
  • Test 2; The RaceChip was installed and "Economy" mode selected and confirmed active
  • Test 3; The "Sport" mode was selected and confirmed active
  • Test 4; The "Race" mode was selected and confirmed active
At the conclusion of Test run 2, the car generated an CEL fault and Xentry indicated problems with communication to the boost and fuel sensors. We also had subsequent trouble in getting the RaceChip to communicate via bluetooth following that event. The unit was pulled, the trouble codes reset and everything re-installed. Everything functioned as normal for test 3 and 4.

Now this is the part where I was hoping to offer a glowing review of the RaceChip. Unfortunately what I'm seeing is very much contrary to the manufacturer claims. Maximum power is essentially unchanged and in "Efficiency" or "Sport" modes the engine specs are significantly reduced. I'm not sure if there is an internal fault with the unit or whether the wrong mapping data has been programmed onto the chip. I'm in touch with their technical support in Germany and hopefully we'll see those numbers turn around.

I should note, it was a hot humid morning (middle of summer here) so power was expected to be down slightly.

Verdict:
Overall the package seemed like a slick product. The chip looks like a high quality enclosure, connectors, etc. Features are also very good and easy to use with the smartphone interface. Ultimately though it comes down to performance and this is where everything goes to pieces. For now .. I'm afraid, I'll have to advise against opting for the RaceChip. Unless there's a significant change to the above statistics I simply cannot recommend this product to other MB enthusiasts looking for some extra performance.

The app provides for new software updates and performance mapping to be uploaded to the chip. I'm hoping that their tech support in Germany can do something to drastically improve the situation. I'll update the review as things progress.

Last edited by DBOC205; 02-16-2016 at 05:27 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by DBOC205:
BowzeR (04-05-2016), Cyberzolot (04-02-2017), dertimaushh (06-22-2016), jlay5 (09-27-2016), sagres1 (01-04-2020), Trevor GL350 (11-22-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-16-2016, 04:55 PM

W205 C250BT
Update 1: I've been in touch with tech support and they've confirmed connections etc. They are now sending me a new RaceChip module to see if this resolves the problems.
Old 02-16-2016, 05:27 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
good luck, man. wonder if this chip works on e250 bluetecs as well, figure they're the same engine. would be fun to install on my parents' car without them knowing and see if they can tell the difference :lol:
Old 02-16-2016, 05:38 PM

W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by LateC300
good luck, man. wonder if this chip works on e250 bluetecs as well, figure they're the same engine. would be fun to install on my parents' car without them knowing and see if they can tell the difference :lol:
Yes, the OM651 has been used in a staggering number of MB cars (from the Sprinter and A Class right up to the ML and S) dating back a long way. There are a lot of different variants though. The high output variant OM 651 DE 22 LA is the same motor in the E250 Bluetec as well as the earlier CDI, and CDI BlueEfficiency.

If the chip performance could be realized, you would certainly notice an extra hundred Newton Meters of torque.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
15 E200CGI SPORT
I've been running this chip on my MY 2015 W212 E200 and have no issues at all. Let's hope that the updated module will solve the problem for you.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:00 PM

W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by Royce118
I've been running this chip on my MY 2015 W212 E200 and have no issues at all. Let's hope that the updated module will solve the problem for you.
Thanks. I'm hopeful because there's certainly a fair amount of positive independent comments and reviews for the RaceChip brand.

Did you ever run yours on a Dyno to check the numbers?
Old 02-17-2016, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

15 E200CGI SPORT
Originally Posted by DBOC205
Thanks. I'm hopeful because there's certainly a fair amount of positive independent comments and reviews for the RaceChip brand.

Did you ever run yours on a Dyno to check the numbers?
No dyno as my car was only 2 weeks ond when I got it installed. However, my butt dyno did feel the increase in performance. Just to check with you, did you get the response control installed? If you haven't, I would highly recommend getting that installed as well.
Old 02-17-2016, 01:21 AM

W205 C250BT
Not saying your Butt Dyno isn't a finely tuned performance machine, but I wouldn't trust anything any chip tuning company tries to tell you without running it over the 1/4 or a proper dyno. I initially thought I could sense some added improvement as well but it was all just due to a classic placebo effect.

From what I understand of their response module it's nothing more than a remapping of your throttle sensor, plus an ugly box in your footwell. Good for cars that don't have various throttle maps to choose from but with Agility Select on the W205 that becomes less of an issue. I don't need the throttle any more twitchy than what you get in Sport+ mode (it's pretty much instant). If I had a W204 or earlier, I'd consider it, but even then you can also tweak that in Xentry DAS for those models.
Old 02-17-2016, 05:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

15 E200CGI SPORT
I see where you are coming from. I've talked to a buddy of mine about dyno-ing my car and will definitely update once I have the figures. I am actually quite curious about the gains as well. You are indeed correct about the response module. I am actually based on the w212 model and hence = do not have the agility select sport+ mode.

Originally Posted by DBOC205
Not saying your Butt Dyno isn't a finely tuned performance machine, but I wouldn't trust anything any chip tuning company tries to tell you without running it over the 1/4 or a proper dyno. I initially thought I could sense some added improvement as well but it was all just due to a classic placebo effect.

From what I understand of their response module it's nothing more than a remapping of your throttle sensor, plus an ugly box in your footwell. Good for cars that don't have various throttle maps to choose from but with Agility Select on the W205 that becomes less of an issue. I don't need the throttle any more twitchy than what you get in Sport+ mode (it's pretty much instant). If I had a W204 or earlier, I'd consider it, but even then you can also tweak that in Xentry DAS for those models.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:03 AM

W205 C250BT
Update 2: Well, I kept my end of the bargain and sent back my 'suspect faulty' unit .. here we are at the end of the week, yet again no news since Wednesday. Their rep promised to send a replacement chip for me on Thursday, yet no further emails, phone calls or nothing. No response from their German support either.

If anyone has had positive dealings with RaceChip, I'd love to hear about it - just so I can calm back down and regain some trust in that outfit. I've spent over a grand on this silly caper and all I've got out of it is an engine with reduced power. Yay!
Old 03-01-2016, 10:45 PM

W205 C250BT
Update 3: It's been just over two weeks now since I tested the chip on the dyno and then sent it back for replacement as requested by the vendor.

Yesterday I finally received and installed the new chip. We reconfirmed again that the patch harness is connected correctly and that the chip was working. Some basic acceleration tests unfortunately show the same trend as before. No real power increase (in Race mode) and what appears to be some loss again in Eco & Sport modes.

The support in Germany is now going to start changing the chip parameters. They've requested that I let them know if the engine light comes on at any stage. Let's hope they don't blow up the engine

I'll put the call out again - If anyone here has run a RaceChip on an OM651 (500Nm version) motor, please chime in with your experience. The figures that RaceChip have published are estimates - i.e. that means to me there is no one who has verified the performance boost on this variant of the motor.

What I'm starting to suspect is that their previous experience with boosting the 350Nm or 400Nm versions of the OM651 motor has led them to believe they'll gain similar performance increases in this variant as well. It's possible that the 500 Nm engine could already be running at its max potential and won't see anything close to what RaceChip is claiming (i.e. up to 620Nm).

I will keep everyone posted as to the outcome of further chip updates.
Old 03-02-2016, 02:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63s Wagon 2019
I've checked this at my local "trusted tuner".
They claim they can add only like an additional 35 NM's for the 500 NM engine.

When I asked them why they can add so little, when some of the boxes can add up to +120 NM's, they claim that the turbo and intercooler can't handle the stress.

And well, I trust these guys.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:07 AM

W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by bdajeha
I've checked this at my local "trusted tuner".
They claim they can add only like an additional 35 NM's for the 500 NM engine.

When I asked them why they can add so little, when some of the boxes can add up to +120 NM's, they claim that the turbo and intercooler can't handle the stress.

And well, I trust these guys.
It may not even be the fact the the turbo and intercooler can't handle the stress, but more that you can only fool the ECU so much. There's a definite limit as to how much boost that turbo can make and on the 500 version it'll probably be in the upper range. BRABUS reckons they can squeeze an extra 70Nm from that motor and that's probably the top of what's achievable before the ECU starts chucking a wobbly.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:26 AM

c220 amg prem plus / BMW X5 e70
cpa tuning

I have a 2015 C220 amg line. Fitted the box from CPA tuning, and it is notably quicker, gruntier, backed up via 0-60 runs and mid power acceleration runs. Not dyno'd the car but a big step up for me. Possibly down to mine being the 220.

CPA are priced very reasonably also.
Old 03-03-2016, 11:42 PM

W205 C250BT
Update 4: Ok, so this is it I think. Unfortunately I'm sending my chip back for a refund after failing to find the performance the company has claimed. After Germany updated new software settings on the chip I've tested again using an OBD2 data unit and timer software, doing two acceleration runs 0-100km/h with the RaceChip turned OFF and two more with the RaceChip in it's highest mode (RACE). This was all uncalibrated sensor data so the figures were averaged out but the performance trend has stayed much the same. Although there was some minor mid-range RPM boost after the software tweak, there is simply not enough of an increase to warrant the cost of the RaceChip Ultimate on the OM651 (500 Nm variant).

With cars that use a lower powered output variant of the OM651 (e.g. the C220 d or w212 E Class), you would definitely get a nice increase in power, but at the upper output spec this engine appears to have been pushed as far as it can go with simple chip tuning. You can draw your own conclusions, but unfortunately for me I have to say that the RaceChip Ultimate does not work on this motor and certainly doesn't give you the >20% type of performance figures that not only RaceChip but several others (like CPA) are claiming. If you are considering a chip from companies like this, make sure you get independent dyno test results before handing over your hard earned $$s.

The following 4 users liked this post by DBOC205:
BowzeR (04-05-2016), dertimaushh (06-22-2016), FLASHBACK (09-28-2022), sagres1 (01-04-2020)
Old 06-22-2016, 04:38 AM

S205 C250d
Many thanks for this thread.

I was close to order this Box for my C250d but I was unsure about the claimed numbers. Now I will save my money for something else until Powerchip proves the opposite.

Many thanks,
Tim
Old 06-22-2016, 09:19 AM

C63s Wagon 2019
I would love to see a test like this for the C300, and say CPA's box.
It's great when people who has access to dynos can do tests like this!

The tuning companies in my opinion "go wild" with their numbers for their boxes. Hard to call them on it without your own dyno data.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:39 PM

Mercedes E250 CDI Coupe (C207)
What do you think about this one: (3 sensors plug in)

http://www.tatechnix.de/tatechnix/gx...---204-hp.html
Old 07-10-2016, 04:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
The issue with a lot of piggy back units is that you're fooling a stock ECU. It will only be fooled within its original parameters.

Reflashing the ECU with altered maps and or software is the only true way to get what you want.
The following users liked this post:
vinnypt (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
The issue with a lot of piggy back units is that you're fooling a stock ECU. It will only be fooled within its original parameters.

Reflashing the ECU with altered maps and or software is the only true way to get what you want.
Yes, I would like a Remap for sure, but . . .
How can I be sure that the guy who does it, knows what he's doing?

That's the big problem. Find the right person to do it....
With the BOX, I've some warranty that I'm using a tested software, at least I think that way !
Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 AM

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Coupe
Thanks for the intel. I was literally about to buy it before stumbling on this post.

I have a C204 C250 CDI, is there any piggyback out there that has been proven with dyno? (not looking for remaps please)
Old 09-30-2016, 03:04 AM

Originally Posted by jlay5
Thanks for the intel. I was literally about to buy it before stumbling on this post.

I have a C204 C250 CDI, is there any piggyback out there that has been proven with dyno? (not looking for remaps please)
Hi jlay5,

I have bought the Racechip, and I'm very pleased with it.
For sure I have more torque because it is impossible not to feel the difference under the right foot.
I don't put it yet in the dyno, but as soon as I do it, I will report here.
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 AM

Mercedes Benz C250 CDI Coupe
Hi vinnypt that would be greatly appreciated. Which model you have exactly? Do you have the throttle response control kit as well?

Originally Posted by vinnypt
Hi jlay5,

I have bought the Racechip, and I'm very pleased with it.
For sure I have more torque because it is impossible not to feel the difference under the right foot.
I don't put it yet in the dyno, but as soon as I do it, I will report here.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by jlay5
Hi vinnypt that would be greatly appreciated. Which model you have exactly? Do you have the throttle response control kit as well?
Hi jlay5,

I have a 2012, E250 coupe.

No I don't buy the throttle response kit, because after I reset the throttle pedal the response became awesome . . .

On top of that, I had made a great improvement on the throttle response with the Racechip fine tune (you can do it with 2 rottary control switches inside the box).
Old 01-14-2017, 09:30 AM

Mercedes C200 cdi W204
I am glad i came across this post, I was tempted to buy the cheaper version for £109 at the autosport show, i spoke with the sales advisor and my alarm bells started ringing as soon as he said "plugs into existing wiring harness", especially from watching the mythbusted performance chips mighty car mods video, I further asked about the ECU he said it wasnt touched, my thinking is that it just sends an electrical signal which may throw up some issues with the ecu/car, having looked online i see mixed reviews of the product, which is ultimately making me think, for the extra bit of money to get it remapped

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: REVIEW: RaceChip Ultimate Connect (on C250 Bluetec)