C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Need help! Grill Installation for Dummies

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 09:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz C220 BlueTec AMG Line
Need help! Grill Installation for Dummies

So today I've received my beautiful looking C63 AMG grill from eBay and I just can't wait to install it.

So I made a bit of research and found this document explaining how to remove/install the front bumper.

But after a couple of minutes of looking at the document I started to doubt my technician skills. Despite the fact that the manual is in English (I'm German, but I understand 90% of the document) the photos and the operation steps are somewhat not the greatest in explaining it for me.

Side Info: I have no Distronic or 360 Degrees Camera, just the CPA+

So let's start the list:

1. Open engine hood - Easy...

2. Disconnect battery ground line - Is that the negative pole cable? If yes, do I simply need to unscrew and remove it?

3. Remove front and center engine compartment paneling - Easy...

4. Remove screw bolts (2) - The images are not really helpful. Either I'm too blind or just couldn't find the screws when standing in front of my car with the hood open

5. Remove expansion rivet (3) from left front to liner (4) and right front to liner (5) - Easy...

6. Press front to liner (4) and right front to liner (5) to side and unscrew bolts (6) - Easy too I guess

7. Check front bumper pedestrian protection sensor (8) - Check for what?

8. Disengage front bumper (1) from left front to (11) and right front to (12) - Easy...

9. Disconnect electrical connector (7) Simple, right? I'm afraid of causing electronic discharge...

10. & 11. are skipped because no 360 CAMERA and no AIRPANEL

12. Remove screws/bolts (13) - Easy...

13. Release front bumper (1) from arrests (14)
and remove - Easy, but is there something important to mind with this part?

So with all that done the front bumper should be removed I think, is there anything else I forgot until there? I don't think that it is too hard to remove/install the bumper, just the explanation needs to be better... AND I don't want to pay 250,00 Euros for my dealer... it's too much!
Old 02-27-2016, 09:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Sounds like you should pay €250 to your dealer ..
Old 02-27-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by vic viper
It's just those 1-2 steps I want to be 100% clarified before going at it, I'm just trying to be 100% sure about the steps since I don't want to make any minimal mistake... that's why I'm asking so overcautious
Old 02-29-2016, 03:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Battery disconnect - yes, undo the negative terminal and pull it clear.

4. Remove screw bolts (2) - The images are not really helpful. Either I'm too blind or just couldn't find the screws when standing in front of my car with the hood open

These two bolts are accessed from underneath the car, and are under the undertray panelling (which should be out of the way now - the front wing liner may be obscuring your view too (tie it back, out of your way). You need to be lying on your back, right under the car to see them, as they are tight Behring the front panel. The pictures are accurate, but remember that you are looking up, from underneath.

7. Check front bumper pedestrian protection sensor (8) - Check for what?

It's a physical safety inspection, the dealer is expected to do. Nothing to worry about.

9. Disconnect electrical connector (7) Simple, right? I'm afraid of causing electronic discharge...

Don't be.

[B]So with all that done the front bumper should be removed I think, is there anything else I forgot until there?

No, pretty much it - remember what I said about putting down thick, soft, padding as it will be face down.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:15 AM

Forgot one

That's on about adjusting the position of the bumper (grille surround, at the top) back and forth, to get a nice even gap between the bonnet/hood and the front section. You adjust it by loosening the screws and moving along the serrations on the brackets.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by jolt8631
Forgot one

That's on about adjusting the position of the bumper (grille surround, at the top) back and forth, to get a nice even gap between the bonnet/hood and the front section. You adjust it by loosening the screws and moving along the serrations on the brackets.
Thanks!!! Now it's all clear. Now I just need some good weather to start this fun
Old 03-01-2016, 02:55 AM

C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by vic viper
Is €250 the going rate for this work? - I'll probably be a little in over my head trying to do this work my self so will be looking at getting dealer installation. But I'm sure I had seen others posts (can't find them!) saying they had it done for around the $150 mark - which seems much more reasonable.

Wondered if you could shed any light Vic? - to confuse currencies even further I'm in the UK so would be paying in £GBP lol.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 269 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Depends on the rate, I am guessing 1.5-2 hours worth of Labour being charged for a job like this.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:31 PM

Agree - if a total novice like me can do it in 3 hrs, you'd expect a dealer to be done in 2. So if the quote is more than that, then I'd try someone else.

Might be worth trying an indie body shop, too as they'd be well versed in this type of work perhaps?
Old 03-01-2016, 04:02 PM

C43 Coupe
Originally Posted by jolt8631
Agree - if a total novice like me can do it in 3 hrs, you'd expect a dealer to be done in 2. So if the quote is more than that, then I'd try someone else.

Might be worth trying an indie body shop, too as they'd be well versed in this type of work perhaps?
I'm tempted to DIY. As I posted in a different thread I managed to change the brake pads and discs on my old Clio before. So I'm not completely inept. I also somehow broke the ABS at the time which is what puts me off lol.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
I bought the grille from Muscle-Leopard on eBay but has been hesitant fitting a non OEM part.

None know if the C300 coupe or C450 OEM grille would fit? If so my dealer will fit it. For the bay part I would have to go to a smash repairer...