C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

People who didnt get the MM package, has anyone tried this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2016, 07:57 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Badass! What's the source of the video? Looks too high res for an over the air tuner.
May I introduce this as evidence no.1 that the video source, in fact, is an over the air TV tuner :-)

Old 04-02-2016, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
So that gives you multiple channels of TV on the road? That's awesome.
Old 04-02-2016, 08:53 PM

c300
So that gives you multiple channels of TV on the road? That's awesome.
For $70, yeah, it's pretty awesome.
Old 04-04-2016, 05:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 BMW 3-Series
Back on topic... So, what's the status, if we may ask?
Old 04-04-2016, 05:21 PM

c300
Originally Posted by WhoIsThat
Back on topic... So, what's the status, if we may ask?
Hahaha. You're just dying to know, huh? I've been really busy with everything, so TV was the only thing I could tried on. Plus, it's public holiday in China till Wednesday, so the guy is currently off and can't give "tech support". Right now, the only issue is the volume. The knob control just works differently from the original way (instead of rotating, I'll have to push to the left or right). I guess I'll live with that. Don't use the trackpad much anyway. The darn phone mirror kit has been in post office's possession for more than a week, and I can't understand why it's not out for delivery yet. With that kind of service, it's no wonder why they're losing billions each quarter.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:26 AM

c300
Finally got the last component installed: phone mirror cast

Old 04-17-2016, 10:08 PM

2003 BMW 3-Series
Man, that is just incredible! I want this thing too! Unfortunately, my limited ability to deal with the technical and mechanical aspects of the installation is causing me to be a bit hesitant.

This is just awesome!
Old 04-18-2016, 12:38 AM

c300
Man, that is just incredible! I want this thing too! Unfortunately, my limited ability to deal with the technical and mechanical aspects of the installation is causing me to be a bit hesitant.

This is just awesome!
Have you done anything to the car before? I think the most difficult part of this was the removal part. Other than that, the installation may seem a bit intimidating at first. But after I looked at the cables, things became kind of straight forward. I only found out later that the reason I was having issue with the unit was most likely because of the software update that they did to my car a month ago.

Another option if you hesitate to do it yourself is to take it to a shop. Shouldn't cost more than $200 for installation.

Last edited by huyuci; 04-18-2016 at 12:41 AM.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
So is it fully functional now? I thought you had some hiccups like loss or change in jog wheel functionality and touchscreen issues. It isn't clear to me if you actively fixed these problems or they somehow just disappeared.

You say your problems likely came from an OEM software update. How did you overcome that? Did you reverse the update? Did the vendor give you a firmware update with better compatibility for the unit? Did you correct an install error? It would be great if you connected the dots.
Old 04-19-2016, 01:29 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 Mercedes C300 Sport
[QUOTE=huyuci;6773731]Finally got the last component installed: phone mirror cast

Huyuci, you're brave man! I applaud all mods you've made to your car so far. I'm very clumsy and afraid to touch anything on this car. I don't even allow wife to open the glove compartment or adjust her seat when she rides with me. Pretty cool gadget you got in there, congrats.
Old 04-19-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
I like the thin bezel, no idea why the multimedia upgrade Mercedes 8 inch navi screen has such huge black bezels around it
Old 04-19-2016, 05:12 PM

c300
[QUOTE=Jay_Chicago;6776683]
Originally Posted by huyuci
Finally got the last component installed: phone mirror cast

Huyuci, you're brave man! I applaud all mods you've made to your car so far. I'm very clumsy and afraid to touch anything on this car. I don't even allow wife to open the glove compartment or adjust her seat when she rides with me. Pretty cool gadget you got in there, congrats.
Seriously, you don't allow your wife to open glove compartment? You're kind of like my wife. She saw me getting out of her car in the garage, and she ran out, "what? what did you do to my car?"
Old 04-19-2016, 05:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by topsider
I like the thin bezel, no idea why the multimedia upgrade Mercedes 8 inch navi screen has such huge black bezels around it
THIS!!!!!!

i'm very dissapointed with the cheap looking screen on our cars, even with the multimedia option.

absolutelly no reason to have that hideous bezel in this day and age.

Even $99 cheap tablets are 1080p with thin bezels.

for a industry leader like mercedes, i'd expect an OLED screen or at least a high-res (1080p at least) screen.
screens these days are getting dumb cheap.
in this regard, the screen on the Volvo XC90 looks gorgeous. and the car was actually around the same price as my c class.
Old 04-19-2016, 10:34 PM

c300
Originally Posted by lbowroom
So is it fully functional now? I thought you had some hiccups like loss or change in jog wheel functionality and touchscreen issues. It isn't clear to me if you actively fixed these problems or they somehow just disappeared.

You say your problems likely came from an OEM software update. How did you overcome that? Did you reverse the update? Did the vendor give you a firmware update with better compatibility for the unit? Did you correct an install error? It would be great if you connected the dots.
All the problems most likely are due to the updated software. The Chinese unit's software was supposed to interface with MB original audio software. So when MB software was updated, the interface changed, allegedly. My guess is if my car still had the original software, it would have worked perfectly.
Are you having a lot of questions because you're planning to upgrade it or...?

Last edited by huyuci; 04-19-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:55 AM

2003 BMW 3-Series
Have you done anything to the car before? I think the most difficult part of this was the removal part. Other than that, the installation may seem a bit intimidating at first. But after I looked at the cables, things became kind of straight forward. I only found out later that the reason I was having issue with the unit was most likely because of the software update that they did to my car a month ago.

Another option if you hesitate to do it yourself is to take it to a shop. Shouldn't cost more than $200 for installation.
Have only changed headlights on my old vehicles before but am interested in doing what you have done.

I think all of us (and even those who haven't posted in this thread and only lurk around) are interested in doing exactly what you have done!
Old 04-20-2016, 12:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
Are you having a lot of questions because you're planning to upgrade it or...?
Or what? Are you afraid I'm here to judge you? C'mon, we're here to share information.

I think a lot of people tuned in to your thread to know if this is a good option or not. You are the first guinea pig. I was hoping for some detailed information about what works and what doesn't. I'm particularly interested if the jog wheel and pad have the same functionality in controlling the car as before.

It seems you have some things that aren't quite right. I don't understand why you don't open up and explain what problems you've had, how you fixed them, and what problems persist. That's what this forum is for.

I offered my advice of grounding the chassis by installing it when your touchscreen wasn't functioning. Would be nice to know if that's what the issue was.... or not.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:24 PM

c300
Originally Posted by lbowroom
Or what? Are you afraid I'm here to judge you? C'mon, we're here to share information.

I think a lot of people tuned in to your thread to know if this is a good option or not. You are the first guinea pig. I was hoping for some detailed information about what works and what doesn't. I'm particularly interested if the jog wheel and pad have the same functionality in controlling the car as before.

It seems you have some things that aren't quite right. I don't understand why you don't open up and explain what problems you've had, how you fixed them, and what problems persist. That's what this forum is for.

I offered my advice of grounding the chassis by installing it when your touchscreen wasn't functioning. Would be nice to know if that's what the issue was.... or not.
Hey, I've found that many people here prefer to take their cars to the shop for every little thing or won't buy anything that is not OEM. And that's perfectly fine. To each his own. I just didn't want to waste much of my time going into details which people may not be interested in. So that's why I had to ask. And then there are people who troll. Trace back the thread and you'll see. It's just annoying. So much negativity.

The issues I have right now: volume control on Multimedia is fixed. Can't turn up or down. For radio, I'd have to go to Multimedia, play something first, then go back to radio and I'll get volume. Bluetooth works for music, but for phone, people won't hear me. That's about it. As I mentioned, all these are most likely due to software change. If the software is still original, it probably would have worked fine. The seller is also the manufacturer. He said he's sold over 800 units and never had any complaint. He's been very courteous and spent hours everyday for a week to troubleshoot with me. He promised me he'll try to get a software update for me within a month. If he still can't by then, I can return it and he'll give me my refund.

The way I see it, the whole unit costs less than Garmin sd card. Their Igo navigation works fine, by the way. So I may even keep it even if I can't get an update.
Old 04-23-2016, 03:22 PM

2003 BMW 3-Series
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully you will get a working version of the update software in a month. It's quite an adventure. We are all living vicariously through you!
Old 04-24-2016, 12:26 AM

c300
Thanks for sharing your experience. Hopefully you will get a working version of the update software in a month. It's quite an adventure. We are all living vicariously through you!
My pleasure, really. I had a fun time doing it. Now I look back at the OEM screen and go "ugh..." it looks so tiny and ridiculous for a car like this. I also put everything back together today and the whole thing just seemed so simple now, much like looking back at the classes I failed in college and don't see they're so hard anymore :-) . And I just love the ability to play movies...The video is just so crisp it makes the LCD come to life.

Last edited by huyuci; 04-24-2016 at 01:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2016, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah I'm really impressed with the mod and the tenacity involved in seeing it through. And this is coming from a guy who had his three day old 2016 C in an audio shop having the Burmester system torn out and rebuilt because he didn't like how the drums sounded.
The following users liked this post:
huyuci (04-24-2016)
Old 04-24-2016, 01:18 AM

c300
Yeah I'm really impressed with the mod and the tenacity involved in seeing it through. And this is coming from a guy who had his three day old 2016 C in an audio shop having the Burmester system torn out and rebuilt because he didn't like how the drums sounded.
hmmm. If I had Burmester, I probably would have been happy with it. But then I wouldn't have any motivation to improve the situation. So, I guess being disadvantaged does have its advantage
Old 05-20-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
C200 4matic
hmmm. If I had Burmester, I probably would have been happy with it. But then I wouldn't have any motivation to improve the situation. So, I guess being disadvantaged does have its advantage
Are u in China mate??
Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM

c300
Originally Posted by janusgrimnitz
Are u in China mate??
No. What makes you think so?
Old 05-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
C200 4matic
No. What makes you think so?
Ah ok my bad. U mentioned Chinese units software thus I assumed.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180D 2016
Planning to do the same in my S205, but any idea what the mini-amp does that get supplied with the unit? (small metal box).

How about the installation? Did you experience any problems with the tucking away the wiring behind the unit? Had some other cars where I changed the headunit, but the additional wiring made me cut some plastic . Don't want to cut anything really xD

Thanks for the info!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: People who didnt get the MM package, has anyone tried this?