C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Multimedia Package Worth It?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2016, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
With the hard drive that comes with the MM, can you store higher quality music files that would then produce a higher fidelity sound?
It compresses when it rips from CD, to 256kbs I believe. MP3 files are transferred right over bit for bit. The Tidal subscription service streams in lossless CD quality. That sounds great on the Burmester. Or just CDs themselves.

If you really want to light the Burmester up, pick up Donald Fagen's Nightfly Trilogy MVI set. MVI discs are albums that have been remastered from 2 channel stereo into 5.1 Dolby Digital DVD format, by the original recording artist in this case. "Kamakirid" and "Morph The Cat" sound amazing. "Nightfly" has an EQ problem in the way it was originally mastered and isn't as good.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C300, 2016 C300
With the hard drive that comes with the MM, can you store higher quality music files that would then produce a higher fidelity sound?
True. But for what it's worth, I don't think the difference is really noticeable. i mean tbh, I don't think I would notice the difference in the quality in sound in a CD versus a true high-fidelity file. (which I don't think the Burmester system can decode? I don't know for sure, just speculating) if you also consider that the passive sound isolation built into the car can also block out so much NVH, the quality of the sound system I think would take precedence, and not the quality of the source media---that's why P2 would definitely be a must-have for me because audio 20 will always pale in comparison versus the Burmester
Old 04-03-2016, 01:28 PM

2014 C300, 2016 C300
Originally Posted by Mike5215
The thing that turned me off from the Garmin was how primitive the user interface is. It looks like the screen from a $200 Walmart stand alone unit (because essentially it is). Now if you're skipping the chip and use your phone for navi, then the other stuff I agree isn't substantial enough to warrant the cost. Although having that big thick bezel staring back reminding you of what you missed might be a downer once the novelty of the new car wears thin.

I will say I use the adaptive cruise and steering often, usually in every day slow traffic. Really there isn't an option other than Park assist that I have that I don't use and enjoy all the time.
Yeah, I can see that, I'm asking my dealer to price a C with P2, MM, and DA to get a better estimate---hopefully it's close to my calculations lol

+1 on the Park Assist, that option to me sounded very useful---or maybe I'm just getting increasingly lazy as I get older
Old 04-03-2016, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by aambulo
True. But for what it's worth, I don't think the difference is really noticeable. i mean tbh, I don't think I would notice the difference in the quality in sound in a CD versus a true high-fidelity file. (which I don't think the Burmester system can decode? I don't know for sure, just speculating) if you also consider that the passive sound isolation built into the car can also block out so much NVH, the quality of the sound system I think would take precedence, and not the quality of the source media---that's why P2 would definitely be a must-have for me because audio 20 will always pale in comparison versus the Burmester
Audio20 is a non starter for music. As far as quality, I have a high res system at the house, and with a good DAC capable of handling master quality stuff encoded sampled at a high 256khtz or 96khtz rate and a 24 bit depth really does sound better than the CD version of the same track. But neither your phone or the Burmester can handle anything over a 44,100 htz sampling rate and a bit depth of 16. (CD quality) Hi Res files are so huge (a 3 minute track can run 300mb where the equivalent MP3 is 3mb. For a sense of scale a CD holds 780mb) that it's not practical for the car if you have a large library.

In the car, I calibrate everything for 256kb AAC since that's what I listen to the most. It strikes a good balance between quality and portability.

Last edited by Mike5215; 04-03-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, I can see that, I'm asking my dealer to price a C with P2, MM, and DA to get a better estimate---hopefully it's close to my calculations lol

+1 on the Park Assist, that option to me sounded very useful---or maybe I'm just getting increasingly lazy as I get older
Hmmm. Maybe price the car out yourself on the MB website and then ask the dealer for a flat discount off MSRP. 10% isn't unheard of, and I've seen as high as 15%.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:10 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
This was true for my current car. But with the new MY, like others have said, the Burmester system is available with the P2 package. The MM package gives a larger screen, a music register, back up cam, and Sirius subscription for 5 years....that's why my question was: is it really worth it because I can skip out on the larger screen get the Garmin Pilot, and add on the Drivers Asst Pkg, which imho provides more utility than a larger screen, Sirius subscription, etc.

That being said, I might just get all of them if the difference in the overall price is negligible over the lease term. I'll be going in this week to test drive a car outfitted with the Drivers Asst Pkg to make a determination whether or not it's worth it
If I have to choose between one or the other, I'll take the driver assist any time. Bigger screen is nice, but driver assist will be used more often. Just my personal preference.
The following users liked this post:
aambulo (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 02:35 PM

2014 C300, 2016 C300
Hmmm. Maybe price the car out yourself on the MB website and then ask the dealer for a flat discount off MSRP. 10% isn't unheard of, and I've seen as high as 15%.
Definitely. My dealer is a high-volume dealer in the area anyway, I don't think they'll mind parting with a few more $ on my lease considering there's so many more people who just take the first deal given. I'm adding maintenance to the lease too, it's residualized so even better for me!
Old 04-03-2016, 02:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Well, it's capitalized but the residual always stays flat, set by the manufacturer. But I get the idea. You can capitalize a bunch of stuff...dealer fee, acquisition fee, even negative equity on a trade.
The following users liked this post:
aambulo (04-03-2016)
Old 04-03-2016, 02:53 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Very good info, thanks guys. I'm a bit of an audiophile, although my technical understanding of everything is lacking. I've got a super computer that I built, equipped with an aftermarket sound card/DAC, and Philips Fidelio X1 cans. I use Bose QuietComfort25s at the gym, when golfing/at the driving range, at my desk at work, etc. I don't have a single audio file downloaded anywhere, although my PC has plenty of space for it....I just stream through TIDAL.

Now, relating this to my soon to be C450, is the following accurate? Seeing that I only stream my music, my best bet for the highest quality audio on the Burmester is to stream through TIDAL on my iPhone 6s Plus, via USB connection? Does the car come with a USB to iPhone cable (lightening cable?), or will I need to pick an aftermarket cable up?

I didn't even pay attention to the Burmester on my test drive. The dealer said the USB or stored files sound best, but I told him to turn the sound all the way down bc I wanted to hear the exhaust, haha. I told him I'd heard the system was a good one, so didn't really see a point in "testing it out" given the fact it's not really a decision.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Very good info, thanks guys. I'm a bit of an audiophile, although my technical understanding of everything is lacking. I've got a super computer that I built, equipped with an aftermarket sound card/DAC, and Philips Fidelio X1 cans. I use Bose QuietComfort25s at the gym, when golfing/at the driving range, at my desk at work, etc. I don't have a single audio file downloaded anywhere, although my PC has plenty of space for it....I just stream through TIDAL.

Now, relating this to my soon to be C450, is the following accurate? Seeing that I only stream my music, my best bet for the highest quality audio on the Burmester is to stream through TIDAL on my iPhone 6s Plus, via USB connection? Does the car come with a USB to iPhone cable (lightening cable?), or will I need to pick an aftermarket cable up?

I didn't even pay attention to the Burmester on my test drive. The dealer said the USB or stored files sound best, but I told him to turn the sound all the way down bc I wanted to hear the exhaust, haha. I told him I'd heard the system was a good one, so didn't really see a point in "testing it out" given the fact it's not really a decision.
I think any standard Lightning charging cable would work in either of the two USB ports in the console. I haven't played with it yet. I just noticed that Tidal, whose entire pitch was lossless CD quality streaming, now has two levels of service and you need the premium for the Hi Fi stream. Had to go into Settings and upgrade. But yeah, TIDAL hard docked to the car would be your best bet. Although for most stuff I haven't seen enough of a downgrade vs BT Audio to warrant the inconvenience of the hard dock. I have the Bose QC 15 phones. Great sounding units.

I've got a bunch of nice Focal and Audison gear from my S going into the C next week. The Burmester is such a nice system to start with I'm pretty psyched about it, especially the Audison DSP.

Edit. Okay, Iphone6 into the left USB with a regular charging cable gives you full IPod like control via COMAND and cover art display, as well as playlist control. It also sounds tighter with better dynamic range than the BT audio connection. So that's that.

Last edited by Mike5215; 04-03-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Have Garmin in my c class and MM in my GLC. Get the MM. Much nicer. You will be happier.
Old 04-03-2016, 03:43 PM

Perfect, thanks Mike!
Old 04-03-2016, 04:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Sometimes with MB if you play a source other than the Apple internal player and use COMAND search to switch tracks or playlists etc it will switch you back to the internal player. So TIDAL, Spotify etc had to be controlled on the device itself. In the 205 it's smart enough to know which app is playing and control that app. Plus you get cover art on COMAND.

Here's TIDAL on the IPhone and COMAND:

Multimedia Package Worth It?-photo62.jpg

Multimedia Package Worth It?-photo903.jpg

What's cool is that it's bringing cover art over from a streaming source.

Last edited by Mike5215; 04-03-2016 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:59 PM

Damn that is awesome, I'm glad it's so well integrated now...really looking forward to using TIDAL/COMAND together here in a couple of months.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by huyuci
If I have to choose between one or the other, I'll take the driver assist any time. Bigger screen is nice, but driver assist will be used more often. Just my personal preference.
+ 1. I have the smaller screen and just use my phone for Navi (which is rare as I usually know where I'm going). I wish I would have got driver assist just for the blind spot alert alone - much more useful feature then Navi and a larger screen. I did order the backup camera as a stand alone option and am sure glad I did as that's a must have feature. Just make sure you get Premium 2 because not only do you get the Burmester (which is a must), but you also get Keyless Go.
Old 05-25-2016, 11:32 AM

2014 C300, 2016 C300
So true. But better to have it and know its shortcomings than to not get it and regret it I guess. Really, just the big screen and Apple Car Play or the Android equivalent would have been ideal.

The navi so far has been fine the few times I've used it. I got the HUD so I wanted to see the navi stuff in the display. It is a lot of money though. If you're watching the budget and trying to keep the config under a certain dollar amount, MM is a fat target.

If you're a retarded S Class owner like me who has conditioned himself to think a car with a $60k MSRP is a bargain, I say load that lil sum***** up! I'd have gotten that star light but the Drivers Assist killed it. The radar unit is in the star or something.
Thanks for the advice! I finally took delivery of my car today. P2, Multimedia, and Pano roof. I found a good deal and it all fell into place.
Attached Thumbnails Multimedia Package Worth It?-image.jpeg