C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Line on a non used C400, great price, am I crazy/what should I look for? Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2016 | 10:23 AM

prius. :(
Line on a non used C400, great price, am I crazy/what should I look for? Advice?

Local non MB dealership has a completely decked out C400 for < 38k. 25k miles. Not a CPO car, factory warranty only, no maintenance package since it's a two hour drive away.

Reservations: 2015 C Class and high mileage for a year and a half old car. Lack of maintenance package since it is a non MB dealership car.

Though it having 25k miles without any problems should put it outside of the Wrist Pin issue, right?

Local dealership has a C400 for 44k. 11k miles.

What do you think a reasonable cash offer for this car would be?

If I can get it for close to the same price as the non CPO MB I will spring for it instead.

Does MB throw in a maintenance plan off the bat like all of the other dealerships or is it an expense on top? IIRC, it's around 1k for 4 years/40k miles, yes? If I'm making a cash offer is it reasonable for me to ask them to throw in a maintenance package on top?

Help a guy out here!

Making a purchase in about a week. Trying to find my best options.

For the used one I was thinking of making a cash offer of 32k. For the CPO from MB that is 44k would making a cash offer of 32k be an offensively low ball offer?

On the flip side, same dealership has a brand new 2017 C300 Coupe for 45k. Would 36k cash offer be a ridiculous lowball as well?

Several nice gently used 2016s for around 35k. Suggestions on cash offers for these?

Last edited by Sheepy; 07-29-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-29-2016 | 10:29 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Sheepy
Local non MB dealership has a completely decked out C400 for < 38k. 25k miles. Not a CPO car, factory warranty only, no maintenance package since it's a two hour drive away.

Reservations: 2015 C Class and high mileage for a year and a half old car. Lack of maintenance package since it is a non MB dealership car.

Though it having 25k miles without any problems should put it outside of the Wrist Pin issue, right?

Local dealership has a C400 for 44k. 11k miles.

What do you think a reasonable cash offer for this car would be?

If I can get it for close to the same price as the non CPO MB I will spring for it instead.

Does MB throw in a maintenance plan off the bat like all of the other dealerships or is it an expense on top? IIRC, it's around 1k for 4 years/40k miles, yes? If I'm making a cash offer is it reasonable for me to ask them to throw in a maintenance package on top?

Help a guy out here!

Making a purchase in about a week. Trying to find my best options.

For the used one I was thinking of making a cash offer of 32k. For the CPO from MB that is 44k would making a cash offer of 32k be an offensively low ball offer?

On the flip side, same dealership has a brand new 2017 C300 Coupe for 45k. Would 36k cash offer be a ridiculous lowball as well?

Several nice gently used 2016s for around 35k. Suggestions on cash offers for these?
When was build date? might not be as high mileage as you think, my 15 was built Aug 14 and I'm at around 23k miles.

Also, the wrist pin issue only effects the 4 cylinder engines.

I would also buy extended warranty, who knows what will happen after 50k. My dad's E class just had an $8k transmission repair at only 40k miles, needed a new torque converter, etc... On a 2 year old car... Really not worth it to keep these cars past factory warranty without an extended plan, IMHO.

Last edited by topsider; 07-29-2016 at 10:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2016 | 11:03 AM

Awesome. Good to know out the gate then that wrist pin is not an issue.

CPO comes with an additional 1 year limited warranty. Any idea what that would cover? I assume it would cover tranny problems, right?
Old 07-29-2016 | 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
$32K is a low ball. No chance you get it for anywhere near that. I think probably $39-40K not certified at a private seller is prob the lowest you will find.
Old 07-29-2016 | 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Sheepy
Awesome. Good to know out the gate then that wrist pin is not an issue.

CPO comes with an additional 1 year limited warranty. Any idea what that would cover? I assume it would cover tranny problems, right?
CPO adds 12 months of extended limited warranty to the existing factory warranty. It covers everything except broken trim, interior wear, etc.

At any time before CPO ends or at purchase you can add one year ($2500) or two ($4400). It adds unlimited mileage. Unused CPO is refundable or transferable.

Generally it's a good idea to have the warranty in force thru the duration of financing. Any used MB being sold at an MB dealer can be CPO provided it meets the mileage and age requirements and has had no major collision damage. You can simply ask the dealer for a price to certify it.

MB charges the dealer $2500 for certification, and the dealer will tack on their cost for whatever else the car needs to pass the certification requirements (brakes, tires, cosmetics, etc.

That's why some cars get certified right out of the gate and some aren't but still can be. The dealer when weighing whether to certify out of the gate considers whether the expected bump in asking price warrants the cost of certification.
Old 07-29-2016 | 02:25 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
You said in the OP that it is not a CPO car
Old 07-29-2016 | 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
He can still ask the dealer to certify it. If the car doesn't qualify for CPO I wouldn't touch it in the first place.
Old 07-29-2016 | 09:14 PM

Mercedes benz c300 2015
You should KBB the values of the cars you want to negotiate on, and then look for comparable cars in your search radius. This should setup a basis for your argument on why the price is too high. It may not be a good idea walking into the dealership making crazy demands in pricing based off of grabbing arbitrary numbers from the air. It's hard to determine a reasonable offer when you don't state the facts. For example; what state do you live in, and what are all the add ons tacked on to the base cost.

I dont know if this is true, but I was told from a Mercedes benz dealership owner or GM that cash is not king, but do not quote me on that one.

My mom bought a used Mercedes from a non-Mercedes benz dealership a while back and she never had any issues with the car. Same situation from my friend, they never had any major issues with their car just normal maintenance that comes with every car (oil, breaks, tire, wipers). So don't be too afraid that buying from a non- benz dealership would lead to you buying a lemon or a bad car.

I just recently bought a CPO car a few months ago from Mercedes benz. I knew I was over paying, but thats the issue with wanting the best of the best in a used car. CPO cars are the closest thing you will get to a new vehicle (besides a new vehicle). You will have to pay the extra cost for CPO and all the extra reconditioning that were performed as mike just mentioned. Now the benefit of buying a CPO car is that Mercedes's will convert the remaining millage's on both the CPO and the new car warranty to unlimited miles.

My conclusion:
It seems that you want a really really good deal on a 2015 or 2016 car. It may be best you wait until winter, ideally the last week of DEC to expect such a great deal on a car. If your interested in really purchasing a car now, then you will need to fork more cash up to cover the bill cause I don't think any car dealership has the margins to discount $6K or $12K off a USED car. The 2017 cars are their new flag ship cars and they are more focused on giving deals on 2016 and older cars to make run for 2017 cars. With that said, I dont think they would sell a $45K 2017 car for $36K in Q3 of 2016. Now I always suggest for people to go found out for themselves cause you never know until you try, but be ready to be looked at funny.

Last edited by Mplayers2006; 07-29-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-30-2016 | 03:31 PM

It no longer matters.

2015 C300, 15k miles, 5/15 manufactured date, < 28k.

Will post pics soon.