C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Recurring 205 Problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 04:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W 205 c220d 2018
Recurring 205 Problems?

Hi All,
Just really looking to tap into other owners' experiences if I may.

Background to car is it's an early UK Spec Sport with lowered steel Comfort Suspension, 220CDi Diesel.

It is due it's second service at 2 years (12k miles), but there are a few niggles that I will have them look at and wondered if anybody else has had problems with any of these:

1. Wheels seem to be 'pattering' on severe transverse ridges, eg expansion joints. I'm thinking dampers, but maybe engine / transmission mounting?

2. At motorway speeds I'm hearing a droning noise like wind in roof bars except I don't have those, being a saloon. I've read the posts on here about wind noise and notice I have 3mm glass...is that where the problem lies?

3. Some transmission shunt in 2nd in stop-go traffic. Also take up in 3rd after a down change from 4 tends to jolt. If driving a manual, I would give the throttle a blip!

4. Tyre wear...rears: I'm going to have to change them at 15K miles. On my 204 220 CDi I got 21k, so maybe not too bad. Fronts: could probably go till 25k, but will have to change sooner due to outer edge wear - slight 'fish-tailing' on outers. They are Conti SC 4s or 5s - not sure but on 17s. Any advice on replacement tyres welcome!

Apart from these niggles, this has been a great car; overall fuel consumption has been just short of 50 since I've had it and recently saw 64 on a run of 350 miles.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help / advice on the above.

Ernie
Old 08-06-2016, 05:40 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Duplicate thread

Originally Posted by ernieh
Hi All,
Just really looking to tap into other owners' experiences if I may.

Background to car is it's an early UK Spec Sport with lowered steel Comfort Suspension, 220CDi Diesel.

It is due it's second service at 2 years (12k miles), but there are a few niggles that I will have them look at and wondered if anybody else has had problems with any of these:

1. Wheels seem to be 'pattering' on severe transverse ridges, eg expansion joints. I'm thinking dampers, but maybe engine / transmission mounting?

2. At motorway speeds I'm hearing a droning noise like wind in roof bars except I don't have those, being a saloon. I've read the posts on here about wind noise and notice I have 3mm glass...is that where the problem lies?

3. Some transmission shunt in 2nd in stop-go traffic. Also take up in 3rd after a down change from 4 tends to jolt. If driving a manual, I would give the throttle a blip!

4. Tyre wear...rears: I'm going to have to change them at 15K miles. On my 204 220 CDi I got 21k, so maybe not too bad. Fronts: could probably go till 25k, but will have to change sooner due to outer edge wear - slight 'fish-tailing' on outers. They are Conti SC 4s or 5s - not sure but on 17s. Any advice on replacement tyres welcome!

Apart from these niggles, this has been a great car; overall fuel consumption has been just short of 50 since I've had it and recently saw 64 on a run of 350 miles.

Many thanks in anticipation of any help / advice on the above.

Ernie
Rather than start yet another thread, it would be better to re-post your comment to Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience? Your problems will receive many more eyeballs and replies there. You will find many other problem reported there, some of which might be relevant to your problems. If you do join that other thread, leave another comment on this thread, directing people to Mercedes Benz C-class W205 Problems Malfunction What Is Your Experience?, and letting them know that you won't be replying here.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:50 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W 205 c220d 2018
Thanks for the advice which I have taken.

For new viewers, I have re-posted my query to the thread suggested above and as said, I would be grateful for all comment / advice.

Ernei