C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C450 brake pads - track days

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C450
C450 brake pads - track days

Hi all!

I read a lot of threads about c450 brake pads. I attend some track days and been using OEM brakes. I am desperatly searching for better brake pads without changing the rotors and spend a ton of $$$...

I wanted to sum up and make sure I am on the right track.

A member posted that OEM pads are made my Pagid. Pagid is related to Textar.

I went to Textar website and indeed, front PADS seems to be the same as for the C400 and new GLCs, but made my Brembo. Dimensions are on the website.

http://textar.brakebook.com/bb/texta...atasheet.xhtml

I also found the brakes listed on Pagid : http://www.brakebook.com/bb/pagid/en...onSearch.xhtml

Hawk still doesnt have alternatives.

EBC has only green and yellow stuff available and confirms that they are ''brembo''
http://ebcbrakes.com/Assets/ecatalog...gue.html#p=522

Yellow stuff pads on OEM rotors and for daily driving (I also drive in winter) seems to be a little too much, right ?

Any other alternatives ?

My objective is to have better braking / less heat produced to preserve my OEM rotors for at least 3 years

As for now, I'll just replaced OEM pads with OEM equivalent every year....but I dont improve my braking power at the track, with is the biggest negative point for the car. Other than that, the car is GREAT and kills competition at the track (S4/S5, M3/M4 and even old Boxters).

Thanks
Old 08-07-2016, 03:17 PM

Received 173 Likes on 110 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
If you are looking to improve track performance, the yellowstuff is probably the right kind of compromise. I don't know that you'll get a true street pad much better than the OEMS. I've heard mixed reviews on the yellowstuff, I think people like them, but they tend to not last too long on the track.

I've stated this before on threads talking about the pads. Carbotech will make you anything you want. Call them up, discuss compounds, send them your old pads, and get what you need. The XP8s (and probably the 10s) work well at street temperatures, so you should get excellent performance on the street, and better performance on the track. They will dust though (as do the stockers) and will probably make some noise. I believe the XP8s are pretty easy on rotors.

That said, you can't have it all (a pad that is good on the street, and on the track, and is quite, and is easy on rotors, etc...) The best solution is to change pads between the track and street if you don't like the OEM performance on the track, or the noise of a better pad on the street.

I have not had the car at the track yet, but they seem excellent on the street. Did they fade at the track? Or just didn't have the performance you were looking for?

Good to hear the car does well otherwise. It may be my "rain" car at the track if I'm going to an event where the weather will be really bad.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:34 PM

C450
Originally Posted by z28lt1
Did they fade at the track? Or just didn't have the performance you were looking for?
usually, they don't fade. They started to fade last time after the 4th 25 mins session when the temperature was 100f...not the ideal conditions

Probably better brake fluid would have prevented the fading.

They perform very good at the track, but just seem to use very fast.
I did not measure the pads before this summer, but here what they look like after 3 full track days.

Old 08-07-2016, 08:35 PM

Received 173 Likes on 110 Posts
C450, GLS 63 and a few other things
Judging pad thickness from a tape measure might not be the most accruate, but looks like 4-4.5 mm?

Not sure what they were new, typically I see 12-13 mm for standard, and about 10mm for performance pads like these. If they were at 10mm to start, 3 track days and whatever daily driving you are doing, used up 65% sounds about as best as can be expected (of course, very much depending upon the track and the driver). The car isn't light and has decent power, so it's going to use pads at the track.

From second hand info only, don't think you'll be happy with the wear of the EBC Yellow.

Again, as we are limited in options for now, you can try the Carbotech endurance compound, the RP2. Should get longer life, but again, as I track pad, will make noise on the street. Cold temp isn't quite as good as some of the "compromise" street/track pads, so I think you'll see a downgrade in performance on the street on the first stops of the day, particularly the winter.

Seems like OEM is a good bet, or go to separate track only pads.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:21 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by Vatch
Hi all!

I read a lot of threads about c450 brake pads. I attend some track days and been using OEM brakes....

... Other than that, the car is GREAT and kills competition at the track (S4/S5, M3/M4 and even old Boxters).
Don't mean to hijack your question but I'm excited to see you've tracked your 450 - as I have been curious to try mine - and wondered if you'd share more details.

Having been with mine a few months I am interested to see how it performs in a non-street setting as I have been incredibly impressed with the power and poise. Again, anything you can share further would be great.

As for your question and fade on OEM brakes, I think high quality pads may be helpful and a consideration regarding wear, but if fade is the issue, a higher temp fluid would be my first thing to try. The boiling point of the fluid is what often causes fade and pedal softness. As far as the hardware down there, I am impressed as hell with the drilled and massive front rotors. Unless we race our cars beyond what they should really be used for, I would think the stock rotors and high quality pads should be fine.
Old 08-08-2016, 09:57 AM

C450
Originally Posted by BeemerToBenz
Don't mean to hijack your question but I'm excited to see you've tracked your 450 - as I have been curious to try mine - and wondered if you'd share more details.

Don't be afraid to try your car. I changed my tires to Michelin Pilot Super Sport. I also changed the springs to H&R Sports but mostly for the look, I don't think it improves the performance at the track.

The car stock as is, it's wonderful. Of course it is not the ideal ''track car'', it's heavy, etc... but you can keep it stock, use it for daily driving and still have a lot of fun few times every year.

Why did you bought the C450 AMG if you don't use it ? Why not choose the C300 instead? I did not pay 30K$ more than the C300 just to accelerate faster when I get on the highway...

No need to change the brake fluid if your car is new. The first 2 days temperature were normal and no fade at all. However if you start tracking on a regular basis, you must change brake fluid every 6 months.

So basically I assume you have to expect brake pads and tire use. Other than that, I wish nothing breaks
Old 08-08-2016, 09:59 AM

C450
Originally Posted by z28lt1
Judging pad thickness from a tape measure might not be the most accruate, but looks like 4-4.5 mm?...

...From second hand info only, don't think you'll be happy with the wear of the EBC Yellow....

...Seems like OEM is a good bet, or go to separate track only pads.
Thanks. I'll stick with OEM right now and wait for aftermarket pads next year, I guess. I don't want to spend a lot and ask someone to develop pads for me...
Old 08-08-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C43 OMG
Glad to see someone's using his car not only for regular driving, but for entertainment purposes as well. Pretty fun of track days here, I'm dying for a go, but still waiting the car to come.

My previous experience is only motorbike related, but i'm as well for a more track oriented brake fluid in case of need.

Anyway, I confess I just came by to let you know I'd love to see a vid of your car on track, that'd be amazing for the audience
Old 08-09-2016, 10:32 AM

C450
i'll try to hook up a gopro next time !
The following users liked this post:
Cocheche (08-14-2016)
Old 08-10-2016, 07:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...e-upgrade.html