C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

AC smell

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 09:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Penti

I’ve tried the Lysol thing 3-4 times in the past few days, but it’s not fully addressed the problem. I see a warranty visit in its near future.
let me know how that goes, I’m over my wear and tear warranty, unless just getting a new filter fixed the issue which I don’t wanna do just yet haha. If it’s covered I’ll head over too
Old 06-12-2018, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBD
Originally Posted by Rogue-CLK

let me know how that goes, I’m over my wear and tear warranty, unless just getting a new filter fixed the issue which I don’t wanna do just yet haha. If it’s covered I’ll head over too
Def’ not filter related. It’s an HVAC design issue.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:20 AM

2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Penti

Def’ not filter related. It’s an HVAC design issue.
so... that didn’t completely work... it goes away anyways after 2 mins so.. Lysol probably didn’t work. I sprayed (soaked) the filter and intake fan (lightly sprayed) afraid or setting car on fire :/ ,
Old 06-16-2018, 01:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic Sport
I would echo several of the earlier posts in this thread. First, turn up the heat as high as it will go and run the system for 5-10 minutes. Second, turn off the AC and let just the fan run for the last 5 minutes or so of your trip. There are also sprays, available at your local Advance Auto, O'Reilly, NAPA, etc. that are designed specifically to help with this problem. Once it starts, I don't know if you can totally get rid of the problem but any or all of the above suggestions will help reduce it.
Old 06-17-2018, 02:57 AM

Received 159 Likes on 118 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
I don’t know if someone already mentioned this, but there is a lawsuit against Mercedes for the horrible smell coming from the AC. It obviously has to do with mold as others mentioned.
Old 06-24-2018, 07:43 AM

C300
Hi,

My statement below is making an assumption since I cannot find a picture of the air flow for the HVAC system:

Spraying Lysol in directly in the fresh air intake (inside engine compartment) will not be completely effective unless you first remove the inside cabin air filter. With filter still in place, it will trap most of the Lysol.

Congo
Old 06-24-2018, 11:35 AM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by Congo100
Hi,

My statement below is making an assumption since I cannot find a picture of the air flow for the HVAC system:

Spraying Lysol in directly in the fresh air intake (inside engine compartment) will not be completely effective unless you first remove the inside cabin air filter. With filter still in place, it will trap most of the Lysol.

Congo
Thanks for the tip. Just purchased a product from Meguiar’s that I’m gonna try now.

http://www.meguiars.com/en/automotiv...breeze-scent)/
Old 06-24-2018, 04:11 PM
GLO

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W205 C250BT & R320cdi-L V251 (sold c220 cdi Elegance)
Is there a 100% fix for this. It's driving me nuts.

Last edited by GLO; 06-24-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:14 PM
GLO

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W205 C250BT & R320cdi-L V251 (sold c220 cdi Elegance)
Originally Posted by flycaster
Can't say for sure that the A/C smell situation is an MB engineering fault or not, many who got ATS's had a similar situation. Car would smell moldy, but would eventually get "aired" out after a few minutes of A/C. In the beginning when first being reported with these new models, Cadillac tried all the things (under warranty I might add) mentioned here (filter, sprays, etc.,) all temporary solutions and to no avail. Problem was finally found to be that the receiving end of the condensate drain tube was above the bottom of the pan catching the condensate, thus always leaving water where it shouldn't be and allowing for mold to build up. Solution (under warranty) was to lower the drain to the bottom of the pan. This was a big job that entailed taking a lot of parts out to get to the drain...but Caddy did it at no extra costs...good for them as I had to have this done on my ATS.

EDIT: Only drove my new coupe a 100 miles so far, but yesterday after detailing it, I started to notice a funky smell. Hope it doesn't last. But if it does, and seeing others having the same situation, it could very well be that MB made an engineering/design mistake with their A/C and either they don't own up to it, or haven't found the real cause???
Has anyone got instruction to access the condensation tube?

I got to fix this. The smell is killing me. I hate blue cheese and smelly feet and this is all I get when I turn on the AC.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:34 PM

C450 AMG
I’m also having this damn problem, replaced both dust filter and cabin filter and it got slightly better. After a week or two smell came back. Tried Lysol in the intake (removed both filters) and that didn’t work, smells awful!!!
Anyone have a fix? I’ve called dealers trying to get a evaporator cleaning under warranty but they all say it’s $300+.
i think I’m going to go to a dealer tomorrow and speak to a service manager.
Old 11-19-2018, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLC 300
Originally Posted by JKane
I’m also having this damn problem, replaced both dust filter and cabin filter and it got slightly better. After a week or two smell came back. Tried Lysol in the intake (removed both filters) and that didn’t work, smells awful!!!
Anyone have a fix? I’ve called dealers trying to get a evaporator cleaning under warranty but they all say it’s $300+.
i think I’m going to go to a dealer tomorrow and speak to a service manager.
Did you ever have any luck with this? I have 2018 glc and I've been dealing with this problem for 6 mo out of the 8 mo that I've had it. It's such a shame to be paying a pretty penny for mold exposure! Has anyone ever forgotten any food or drinks in the car? I have 2 kids so this happens often, anything food or drink we forget gets crazy mold insanely fast because of this problem! Its sick.
Old 11-19-2018, 02:25 AM

C450 AMG
Originally Posted by B591
Did you ever have any luck with this? I have 2018 glc and I've been dealing with this problem for 6 mo out of the 8 mo that I've had it. It's such a shame to be paying a pretty penny for mold exposure! Has anyone ever forgotten any food or drinks in the car? I have 2 kids so this happens often, anything food or drink we forget gets crazy mold insanely fast because of this problem! Its sick.
Nope, i've had no luck! I bought Klima Cleaner which is designed specifically for vent cleaning it comes with a long hose. I attached an endoscope to it and sprayed it directly on the evaporator. It barely helped at all and is completely back. Now that its cold where I live and the heat is on I don't smell it. I haven't been back to the dealer because they also wanted to charge me big bucks that's why I tried on my own.
Terrible terrible design INFACT there is a class action lawsuit for it in the states. Google "Mercedes AC Mold Lawsuit" and you'll see a LONG list of vehicles included in the lawsuit. I myself have a lung condition and i imagine this is doing damage to my lungs. I spoke with corporate about it and they said nothing they can do and I should talk to a local dealer. Trading in this piece of junk as soon as practically possible.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
The "bake-it-out" method works best - full heat on - recirculation mode if you have it - 30 minutes until it bakes/kills.

It usually comes up worst when manually setting Climate continuous low - which frosts up the evaporator - that then when vehcile is turned off frost melts and leaves system sitting damp...
Old 11-22-2018, 06:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
W206 C300e AMG Line Premium Plus with driver assistance package
First post and I haven't picked up my 2015 C200 yet so not familiar with the exact operation of the climate control so this is more of a general reply. I should have picked up the car this week but the salesperson reversed the car out and into a lamp post so need to wait until they fix the bumper and replace the rear light!

Incoming air normally goes through a filter first and then into the aircon evaporator (the refrigerant evaporates and turns into a gas and cools) and then through the heater. During the winter it is common in a lot of cars (my previous Audi A3 for example) for the aircon to stay on so that incoming air is dehumidified and then after going through the heater you have very dry air which quickly demists windows etc... This also helps to keep the compressor lubricated with the oil which is included in the refrigerant.
The C200 looks to have just an aircon on/off button so you would turn it on in the winter manually I assume. (my A3 has an 'economy' button to turn it off if you wanted)

The smell is caused by mould which loves a warm moist environment. During the summer it is not normally an issue as the unit stays cold while you are driving and if your journeys are long enough it tends to kill the mould as it accumulates.

A few tips and notes :-
* Don't remove the aircon filter without replacing it straight away. It keeps dirt out of the evaporator enclosure which if present becomes a breeding surface for mould.
* If the evaporative enclosure becomes dirty the drain can become blocked which keeps it wet inside and makes the mould issue even worse.
* Sprays and other methods to kill the mould are only a temporary solution in a lot of cases. It it comes back it is likely because of a blocked drain or dirt inside so needs a proper clean.
* Try turning off the aircon for the last few minutes of a drive so the evaporative enclosure dries out.
* During the winter have the aircon turned on for at least a few minutes every month to stop the compressor seal from drying out and potentially leaking.
* It is worth getting an aircon unit regassed every 5 or so years even if it is still working fine. Think of it as an oil change for the aircon system.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:38 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 c300
Originally Posted by Murton
First post and I haven't picked up my 2015 C200 yet so not familiar with the exact operation of the climate control so this is more of a general reply. I should have picked up the car this week but the salesperson reversed the car out and into a lamp post so need to wait until they fix the bumper and replace the rear light!

Incoming air normally goes through a filter first and then into the aircon evaporator (the refrigerant evaporates and turns into a gas and cools) and then through the heater. During the winter it is common in a lot of cars (my previous Audi A3 for example) for the aircon to stay on so that incoming air is dehumidified and then after going through the heater you have very dry air which quickly demists windows etc... This also helps to keep the compressor lubricated with the oil which is included in the refrigerant.
The C200 looks to have just an aircon on/off button so you would turn it on in the winter manually I assume. (my A3 has an 'economy' button to turn it off if you wanted)

The smell is caused by mould which loves a warm moist environment. During the summer it is not normally an issue as the unit stays cold while you are driving and if your journeys are long enough it tends to kill the mould as it accumulates.

A few tips and notes :-
* Don't remove the aircon filter without replacing it straight away. It keeps dirt out of the evaporator enclosure which if present becomes a breeding surface for mould.
* If the evaporative enclosure becomes dirty the drain can become blocked which keeps it wet inside and makes the mould issue even worse.
* Sprays and other methods to kill the mould are only a temporary solution in a lot of cases. It it comes back it is likely because of a blocked drain or dirt inside so needs a proper clean.
* Try turning off the aircon for the last few minutes of a drive so the evaporative enclosure dries out.
* During the winter have the aircon turned on for at least a few minutes every month to stop the compressor seal from drying out and potentially leaking.
* It is worth getting an aircon unit regassed every 5 or so years even if it is still working fine. Think of it as an oil change for the aircon system.
wow your dealer backed into a lamppost before you picked up the car you JUST purchased?? I’d woulda been livid. Hope they’re compensating you for it
Old 11-23-2018, 04:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
W206 C300e AMG Line Premium Plus with driver assistance package
Originally Posted by Elbandito

wow your dealer backed into a lamppost before you picked up the car you JUST purchased?? I’d woulda been livid. Hope they’re compensating you for it
It was the test drive so I hadn't bought it by that point. My A3 had oil pump issues and I wanted to get a new car fairly quickly incase it failed completely. The current insurance only had a couple of weeks to go as well.
I got them to give me a free courtesy car so it probably saved me about £50 in all and saved the worry the car might suddenly stop working.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:31 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300
Great news ! Mercedes will fix or reimburse for prior out of warranty repairs.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/ho...rcedes-Benz-AC
The following 2 users liked this post by Txcoupe:
Rogue-CLK (12-20-2019), VegasWhoa (02-25-2020)
Old 12-20-2019, 11:46 PM

2016 C300 4Matic
Originally Posted by Txcoupe

seems like we’re all waiting for a letter in the mail. Glad it can get fixed without paying out of pocket. Once I get it I’ll bring it in hope it applies to Canadian residents too, I assume it’s US only for now
Old 12-21-2019, 11:49 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG E43

Thanks for the reference. Once available during the claim period, a new thread should be made as this affects millions of mercedes vehicles, not only in this sub forum.
The following users liked this post:
VegasWhoa (02-25-2020)
Old 08-28-2020, 01:24 AM

Mercedes 2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Mercedes HVAC Lawsuit

Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
My wife seems to drive the car with the AC off from time to time in her C300.

Recently I have found that when I turn on the AC I get for the first few minutes a strong vinegary odor which is horrible. Then it seems to mostly go away.

Took it to dealer today and they are saying they need to change the air filter which apparently wasn't included in the Service B we did last month. In addition they want to clean the evaporative system.

They are quoting $380 for this. That seems ridiculous given the filter is a $50 part.

Any thoughts on what I should do?
I believe for everyone living in USA you are lucky as you might benefit from this Lawsuit claims for your AC issue at this link 🔗
https://www.mercedeshvacsettlement.com/

Check your car VIN if you'll be covered for repair.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 444 Likes on 344 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by GLO
Has anyone got instruction to access the condensation tube?

I got to fix this. The smell is killing me. I hate blue cheese and smelly feet and this is all I get when I turn on the AC.
Anyone try this?

Last edited by benzdude; 08-28-2020 at 03:46 PM.
GLO (02-16-2022)
Old 08-28-2020, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 444 Likes on 344 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
I also got one of these for various odd inspection jobs. I might take a look in the vents

diamondsilver16 (08-28-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 03:10 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2017 Mercedes C300 sports coupe, 2004 Mercedes C230 Kompressor
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
My wife seems to drive the car with the AC off from time to time in her C300.

Recently I have found that when I turn on the AC I get for the first few minutes a strong vinegary odor which is horrible. Then it seems to mostly go away.

Took it to dealer today and they are saying they need to change the air filter which apparently wasn't included in the Service B we did last month. In addition they want to clean the evaporative system.

They are quoting $380 for this. That seems ridiculous given the filter is a $50 part.

Any thoughts on what I should do?
I have the same problem with my 2017 C300 coupe. There is a class action Lawsuit against MB regarding this issue. They will fix the problem and reimburse MB owners who were charged to replace filters, etc.
Old 08-30-2020, 04:33 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by NailsByHoney
I have the same problem with my 2017 C300 coupe. There is a class action Lawsuit against MB regarding this issue. They will fix the problem and reimburse MB owners who were charged to replace filters, etc.
as part my B service they did an ac treatment (whatever that means) but it has been couple months and smell has not reappeared.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 744 Likes on 486 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
as part my B service they did an ac treatment (whatever that means) but it has been couple months and smell has not reappeared.
Just wait.
NailsByHoney (09-02-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AC smell