C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Thinking about new C400 - Trans updates?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 05:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc
Thinking about new C400 - Trans updates?

Hi

I am thinking of buying a new C400 (yes new, a dealer nearby has several leftover 15's). I am hesitating based on what I am seeing on the transmission. Is it really as bad as people say? I know its the same as the C450 with a different tune/software.

My question is, wouldn't it be possible to update the software on the trans to make it faster? Do any of the performance tunes for the C400 do this? The deal on the new 400 is almost too good to pass up, so would love to make the trans situation work out.
Old 08-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 71 Likes on 55 Posts
E53
Be had a C400 since September 2014. One of the first. I've never had a problem with the transmission.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:01 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Yes the trans can (if requested as condition of sale) have the latest available software installed.
But this will only be done if there is a problem and thats the factory solution, or the customer requests it and the dealership accepts it (hence my conditions of sale comment).

It is worthwhile making the provision of the Xentry report on the vehicle detailing the software level as part of this, as without it you really have no way of knowing what they have done aside from their word.. (which sometimes ... well you get the idea.)
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc
Originally Posted by Shadwell
Yes the trans can (if requested as condition of sale) have the latest available software installed.
But this will only be done if there is a problem and thats the factory solution, or the customer requests it and the dealership accepts it (hence my conditions of sale comment).

It is worthwhile making the provision of the Xentry report on the vehicle detailing the software level as part of this, as without it you really have no way of knowing what they have done aside from their word.. (which sometimes ... well you get the idea.)
OK Great exactly what I was looking for. Is the latest software the same as the C450? Or is it just an updated C400 map? The real question is...will the software update make the shifting either as fast as the C450 or faster than the initial C400 shifts that had car mags calling it out as a weakness?
Old 08-25-2016, 08:23 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
The software available from MB will be whatever level they have as applicable to the vehicle VIN..
Its useage on other VIN's / models is in a way arbitary.. in as far as they can't use a software level intended for a different VIN / model.. at least not officially..

With the right software and knowldege you can do alot of things.. but the dealer will not support anything of this nature..

An extended road test I guess is the first point, see if you detect any issues...

And keep in mind even MB's latest level software may not address every expctation you have from the trans in operation.. example if you manaually shift down a lot (into 1st from example, and perhaps its lumpy), it may not be reasonable to expect support in changing that if the useage is somewhat outside that of the 99.9% of other users and design intent..

All the best..
Old 08-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
w205 c400 c63s
Originally Posted by kre62
Hi

I am thinking of buying a new C400 (yes new, a dealer nearby has several leftover 15's). I am hesitating based on what I am seeing on the transmission. Is it really as bad as people say? I know its the same as the C450 with a different tune/software.

My question is, wouldn't it be possible to update the software on the trans to make it faster? Do any of the performance tunes for the C400 do this? The deal on the new 400 is almost too good to pass up, so would love to make the trans situation work out.
hey did you get c400 already? you might be interested am selling my car (c400) turning 2 years old in feb 2017. very low mileage. are you from the U.S.