C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Dashboard centre LCD screen coating - I've done something very stupid!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Dashboard centre LCD screen coating - I've done something very stupid!

I recently bought a used w205 C-Class. Love the car, especially the new style interior which sold it to me.

Anyway the previous owner had scratched the front LCD screen while wiping it (leaving the up and down marks you can see in the photo). Very obvious in direct sunlight, but virtually invisible at night or in shadow.

Anyway I thought it would be a clever idea to get some lens cleaner and a cloth and see if I could clean up the scratches. BAD IDEA!!! The top right of the screen is where I wiped with some pressure. I wiped off a whole area of what I now realize is a screen coating and made it look 10x worse!

So first of all, my tip is don't ever try to clean this screen with anything other than a soft, dry, very clean cloth. Or better yet leave it alone. The surface coating comes off very easily.

Secondly. Does anyone know if I can fix this?!?!?!?

Can the screen be replaced at reasonable cost? Can a new coating be applied? Anything to fix this? Please help!!
Dashboard centre LCD screen coating - I've done something very stupid!-screen_zps9zcvj4en.jpg
Old 09-01-2016, 11:29 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
YIKES. At this point you've got nothing to lose try some Meguiar's Plastic-X. What ingredient was in this "lens cleaner"? Isopropyl Alcohol?
Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
YIKES. At this point you've got nothing to lose try some Meguiar's Plastic-X. What ingredient was in this "lens cleaner"? Isopropyl Alcohol?
It was a Nikon lens cleaner with I assume alcohol. I was rubbing quite hard in the hope of 'buffing out' the scratches. It wasn't until the cleaner evaporated off that I realised the horror of what I had done.

I realise now they're not scratches in a sense. It's where the screen coating has been removed. So they can't be removed. All I can think of doing is removing all the screen coating now. Except it's the screen coating that gives the screen it's black finish.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by bus_ter
It was a Nikon lens cleaner with I assume alcohol. I was rubbing quite hard in the hope of 'buffing out' the scratches. It wasn't until the cleaner evaporated off that I realised the horror of what I had done.

I realise now they're not scratches in a sense. It's where the screen coating has been removed. So they can't be removed. All I can think of doing is removing all the screen coating now. Except it's the screen coating that gives the screen it's black finish.
The only way to "buff out scratches" is with an abrasive like a plastic polish. The coating is gone because the chemicals in the cleaner have removed it. This is honestly the cheapest way to deal with this:

Get Plastic X and remove the rest of the scratches and likely the coating. Don't use that chemical cleaner again though.

Then get some anti-glare film like for a smartphone and cut it precisely to fit this screen use a pair of tweezers to apply it.

Going forward just use a damp microfiber cloth to clean it. I wouldn't waste my time or money replacing this screen as I am sure it will be an expensive and long process.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
To make work easier removing the binnacle is a couple of steering fairing removals and 2 torch fixings on the lower edge.... Then pull the binnacle forward, 2 harness connections at the rear... Steering wheel full forward and at lowest position eases the removal..

Now you work on the cebtre screen in a table top and get better results...

The binnacle can be diassembled also... Small tore and many plastic clips.. That's why it creaks so much....

Best of luck
Old 09-02-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
W205
you can try to buy a used component, and just swap the displays.

also, I found this DIY - author suggests removing the coating altogether and then applying a third-party anti-glare film. Might just work: http://www.diymybmw.com/e46/fix-scra...n-lcd-display/
Old 09-02-2016, 08:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213
Finding a used part is the way to go, otherwise the entire IC needs to be replaced.