C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Absolutely Shocking And Horrific Dealership Experience At Walnut Creek MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,428 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Originally Posted by StanNH
It's very difficult to know what actually happened here. Obviously, the service manager had no clue regarding how to handle an irate customer. But, none of us really know what the dealer's side of this story is. How far did this go before the manager felt he had to call the police to intervene? I've been in some pretty upsetting situations with dealers and their service departments over the years, but I've never seen anything get this confrontational. At some point, if the situation was really bad, I'd just leave and file a complaint with the company. I did that recently with my Porsche after getting very poor service from the dealer, with no satisfaction from the service manager. Within hours of my complaint, I got a phone call and apology from the dealer, as well as a cash credit for my poor experience. Service since then has been exceptional.

My point is that yelling and/or arguing with the dealer directly can be negative, while talking to corporate can often gets things straightened out. Being removed by the police is not how anyone wants a situation like this to end. In any case, switching dealers is the easiest way of ending this. The dealer loses a customer, and you don't have to deal with the stress of doing business with them again. File your complaint with MB-USA, then find a dealer who wants your business.
Originally Posted by Mike450
And I'll be the first to own it, I needed to learn the same.

Personal or professional life, it only has negative effects.
mike I agree and same goes for me --- that is not to say you don't stand up for yourself or defend your case, but the totality of engaging people yelling and aggressively complaining usually doesn't net a positive result for the customer

personal AND professional - so true
Old 10-18-2016, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
I think there's a "for what I'm paying I expect..." mentality at work with some MB owners, forgetting that most of what you paid for your car went to Mercedes corporate, not the local franchisee, who is independent. Not suggesting you shouldn't expect a reasonable level of service, just that sometimes the customer's level of "reasonable" might not actually be the case.

In my business I'll occasionally have to fire a customer who mistakenly believes that "what they're paying" entitles them to a higher level of service or accommodation than I think it entitles them to. My response to them is that they're paying no more than anyone else is paying, and nobody else is a huge pain in my ***, so maybe reduce your expectations or find another provider.

It's rare that a customer pushes me too far...it's maybe happened six times in twenty years...but wow does it feel good canning them when they do.
Old 10-18-2016, 12:47 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
mike I agree and same goes for me --- that is not to say you don't stand up for yourself or defend your case, but the totality of engaging people yelling and aggressively complaining usually doesn't net a positive result for the customer

personal AND professional - so true

Absolutely, I do not avoid conflict, just deal with it differently.

Funny, just had this conversation Saturday at my 12 y/o's football game, after two guys got into fist fight ... lol
Old 10-19-2016, 07:17 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I think there's a "for what I'm paying I expect..." mentality at work with some MB owners, forgetting that most of what you paid for your car went to Mercedes corporate, not the local franchisee, who is independent. Not suggesting you shouldn't expect a reasonable level of service, just that sometimes the customer's level of "reasonable" might not actually be the case.

In my business I'll occasionally have to fire a customer who mistakenly believes that "what they're paying" entitles them to a higher level of service or accommodation than I think it entitles them to. My response to them is that they're paying no more than anyone else is paying, and nobody else is a huge pain in my ***, so maybe reduce your expectations or find another provider.

It's rare that a customer pushes me too far...it's maybe happened six times in twenty years...but wow does it feel good canning them when they do.
You work at a dealer?? Are you saying the customer service at HOnda and MB are essentially the same? And it doesn't matter what you spend??
The money goes to a corporation and not the dealer????? WHAT A SURPRISE! SO THATS HOW THEY DO IT! No wonder dealers don't give a squat........they don't get to keep ALL the money they ripped you off for......what a sad story....you fire customers?? That is a laugh......
Old 10-19-2016, 08:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I know. It's hilarious. They never see it coming either. Like they never considered the possibility before they went on their rant that there might be a limit to how much yapping I'm willing to tolerate before I cut them loose.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2014 C300 Sport 4Matic
I worked at A Honda dealer for 18 months. On the service side that's where u make your money. At least for us it was that way. Just not sure why if that's your cash cow why u would f that up. Depending on type of car some need more routine service like a Honda is every 5k miles and a Mb is once a year or 10k miles. The profit in service is where the money is at. Even in warranty work they get paid by the manufacturer So not really sure why u would get mad at a customer bringing in a car with an issue they get paid either way. I know most techs work on a type of commission getting paid on the work they perform and hourly and warranty work is a lesser rate but still its work. Better than sitting with nothing to do.
Old 10-20-2016, 02:50 AM

Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike5215
So for some period at least you felt they treated you fairly. Sounds like either the service manager suddenly had a psychotic episode, or he actually felt threatened. I once had a sales guy come across the desk at me during a negotiation. His buddy was able to get to him and wrap him up, which was good because the guy was enormous. I thought we were just having a spirited negotiation but apparently his read was entirely different and he was offended. I did end up buying the car, although his buddy handled the sale.

Wait...."come at you?....WHAT?"

"Hey man, if you don't buy this car....I'm gonna KICK YOUR ***". 10/10 negotiation technique.
Old 10-20-2016, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
now you mention 3 sides. Dealership, customer, and who's the third party? i'm lost
There are 3 sides to every story; your side, my side and the truth.
Old 10-21-2016, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by obbob
Wait...."come at you?....WHAT?"

"Hey man, if you don't buy this car....I'm gonna KICK YOUR ***". 10/10 negotiation technique.
Yeah. It was a used lot, and this was back in the early 90's (pre-internet) when there was no consumer resources for used car prices. All of the sources you have now...Kelly, NADA, etc were strictly for dealers in booklet form, and by subscription.

But I was working for an insurance company and I had access to all that stuff (we needed it to assign values to total losses) as well as a service called "CCC" (certified collateral company) that was the precursor to CarFax and had specific vehicle history reports.

First, the dealer really low balled the trade. Then as we were discussing it, a customer came in asking about buying my trade. So I met privately with the customer and worked out a price, then I came back in and pulled the trade out of the deal. Then I showed the sales guy how he was way over-priced on his car and when he asked how I would know that I pulled out my NADA guide and the CCC report, and that's when he came across the desk.

Meanwhile, the next day I sold the trade for cash to the guy I'd met on the lot, and then the owner of the used car lot called and accepted the offer I'd made on their car. So it all worked out and nobody went to jail or the hospital.
The following users liked this post:
LWRNCE (08-09-2018)