C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Absolutely Shocking And Horrific Dealership Experience At Walnut Creek MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 02:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
2023 Mercedes Benz S Class
Angry Absolutely Shocking And Horrific Dealership Experience At Walnut Creek MB

Mercedes Benz of Walnut Creek is the absolute worst dealership one could do business with. My family has bought a total of 4 brand new cars from them over the course of the last 6 years, and generally speaking we have had a pleasant experience. However, a change of management and a corporate buyout (Sonic Automotive purchased the dealership from private owners), has completely destroyed the dealerships once pleasant and enjoyable purchasing and servicing experiences.

I took in my 2016 C300 in August for an incredibly annoying rattling that was coming from both the driver and passenger side windows. The service advisor informed me that the car would be repaired in about 3 days, and gave me a GLE loaner car in the interim. About three days after dropping off the car the service advisor gives me a call and informs me that "they couldn't identify the rattle coming from the windows, and that they needed more time." I said absolutely and gave them permission to keep the car longer to remedy the issue. 2 days later I receive yet another call from the service advisor stating "the service team working on your car is hearing rattles coming from all over the place, so we're going to need to keep the car for longer." I asked how much longer and was given an answer of "the car will be completely ready to go in 2 more days." For the next 4 days I did not hear anything from the dealership, and when i gave them a call on the 5th day I was told that "the car was just finished and is ready to be picked up."

I head over to the dealership after them having the car for a week, and within 5 minutes of doing a test drive I hear the rattling that the car was initially brought in for. Furious, I find the service advisor and question him about what was done to the car and why I was told the car was ready to be picked up, when in fact it was not. I was met with a lot of "umm let me check on that" and "well when we did the test drive we didn't hear anything." We got in the car, the service advisor heard the rattling and he proceeded to tell me that the door seals were the problem and needed to be changed. I left the dealership in the loaner car, and after another additional week the dealership called me.

This time the service manager of the entire dealership called me personally. I asked what was done to the car to remedy the problem, and ensured the service manager that if the rattling was still present after the dealership having held my car for two weeks and after a number of false promises, we would surely have issues. The service manager begins to scream down the phone, "IF YOU DON'T BRING BACK THAT LOANER CAR BY TOMORROW I'M GOING TO REPORT THE CAR STOLEN TO THE POLICE! YOU HAVE CAUSED NOTHING BUT PROBLEMS FOR THE SERVICE DEPARTMENT! COME AND GET YOUR CAR IT IS READY!"

I was shocked and completely taken aback that a service "manager" could talk to a client like that. I immediately go to the dealership to speak with the general manager and pick up my car. The general manager basically left me with "I'll speak to the service manager about the incident." Not one apology, or "hey let me make it up to you" or "we are so embarrassed by that type of behavior." Nothing. I was completely dumbfounded that the general manager seemed so relaxed about the entire thing.

Fast forward to just last weekend. The "Service A Overdue" light was making an appearance in the C300 despite the service having been completed, and our 2014 GLK was scheduled for a lease return. We proceeded to the dealership and while handling the lease return, I asked a service advisor whether he could take a couple minutes and switch off the light. I was met with "If you didn't have the car serviced here, we can't turn it off....but let me speak to the service manager and see if we might be able to do you a favor." A favor! After spending thousands of dollars at this dealership, they need to see if they can do me a favor! The service manager (same one I had dealt with before) comes out and basically states that they can't turn off the light, because the car was serviced elsewhere. I immediately asked if he remembered me from our previous incident, and he replied with a "no." "You don't remember telling me that if I didn't return the dealerships loaner car, you would report it stolen to the police?" "Oh ya" he says, "I remember you."

He immediately says "Let's go into my office to speak." We proceed into his office, and I begin asking him why he can't just turn off the light since the service had been completed and the light was bothering me. I was met with the service manager coming within 5 inches of my face and sticking his fat finger right in my face screaming, "YOU KNOW WHAT MAN? ALL YOU DO IS CAUSE ME PROBLEMS! GET OUT! GET OUT OF MY OFFICE! NOW!" Obviously I refuse to move and ask him to calm down. The service manager picks up the phone and screams at me "IF YOU DON'T GET OUT NOW I'M GOING TO CALL THE COPS!" Confused and bewildered I leave the office to once again track down the general manager.

I walk into the dealership surprised that the general manager is waiting for me, and we go into an office. I begin letting him have it about how pathetic the dealership's treatment to customers is and how the service manager deserves to be fired. I was met with "I'm sorry for that behavior, and were going to speak to him." I was surprised that the general manager did not offer me anything to try and make the situation better. I informed him on how I have been a long time customer of the dealership, and have never had issues such as these. I also informed him that the previous incident with the service advisor drove me to purchase a new Audi SQ5 from another local Audi dealership, since I didn't feel as if the MB dealer deserved my business any longer after threatening to call the police on me if I didn't return my loaner car. "That is your choice where you choose to buy cars" the general manager states.

Two knocks on the glass window behind me. It. Is. The. Police. The service manager actually went and called the police. "The service manager felt threatened by you in his office, so he felt the need to call the police." I literally couldn't believe it. I was utterly dumbfounded. The police ask to speak to all of us outside, and when I asked "well where is the service manager?" I was told that he was "not available." WTF does that even mean he is the one who called the police in the first place! I tell the police my story, and at this point the entire dealership is gawking at what is happening. The police just ask that I get my car and leave after the lease return is done.

Guys, what on earth do I do to complain? I have never had an experience like this in my entire life. Please chime in.
Old 10-14-2016, 03:18 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C250 2016
I don't think rising a complaint to Mercedes-Benz USA will help, but may be they are interested in this types of situations.

Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.
Customer Assistance Center
3 Mercedes Dr.
Montvale, NJ 07645
Tel: 800-367-6372
Fax: 201-476-6213
Customer Care: Prompt #4
Roadside Assistance: Prompt #1

and you should not waste your time on those *****s, look for another dealer.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Sounds like you overplayed your hand by being "furious" and "letting them have it". They decided rather than appeasing you they'd rather have you trespassed. Hopefully there's another dealership in your vicinity because you're done at the first one.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Sounds like you overplayed your hand by being "furious" and "letting them have it". They decided rather than appeasing you they'd rather have you trespassed. Hopefully there's another dealership in your vicinity because you're done at the first one.
As an attorney, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. While in the middle of a lease return, a dealer representative can't just call the police and cite "trespassing" as a cause of action.
Old 10-14-2016, 04:59 PM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
2015 gl450
I love these stories.
The following users liked this post:
pjw1967 (10-14-2016)
Old 10-14-2016, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Pharaoh2716
As an attorney, you clearly have no idea what you're talking about. While in the middle of a lease return, a dealer representative can't just call the police and cite "trespassing" as a cause of action.
No no no; I'm sure they called the police and cited the fact you were behaving aggressively as the reason they needed help. Being trespassed from private property simply means the owner no longer wants you there. No different than a bar having a drunk patron trespassed. You don't have to be committing a crime for the owner of a property to have you removed for your conduct.

Obviously whatever transpired between you and the dealership escalated, at least from their perspective, beyond the normal dissatisfied customer interaction, which I'm sure they deal with on a weekly if not daily basis. This is the car business after all... little conflicts are par for the course.

Meanwhile, if you dislike the dealership, you're under no obligation to return your lease car to them specifically. Any MB dealer can handle your lease return for you. It looks like MB Oakland, MB Pleasanton and MB San Francisco are all in your vicinity. Sounds like a fresh start is in order. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
LWRNCE (08-09-2018)
Old 10-14-2016, 06:21 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
BTW
This thread might help with the "Service A Overdue" light
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...indicator.html
Old 10-14-2016, 07:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
glad i never gave my business to walnut creek. *******s.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:32 PM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
so what happenned after that?

for some reason i'm hooked to this story lol
Old 10-14-2016, 09:12 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
They all lived happily ever after of course
Old 10-14-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by NYbenzzz

for some reason i'm hooked to this story lol
Told the general manager that the dealership would never have my business again, signed the papers to finish up the lease return, got in my car and left. Shame, the lease on my E350 is up next year.

Last edited by Pharaoh2716; 10-14-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:23 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
I mean it's a shocking story of customer service gone wrong - but as they say sh$t happens. You can always take you business elsewhere. Where they failed is in being able to deal with a difficult situation. Anyone who prides themselves in customer service should know a way out of a dilemma like that without it escalating to police involvement.

If it was me I'd still put the story to paper and send it to HQ. Ultimately the dealer is the representative for the brand and I'm sure that Mercedes doesn't want to be seen in this way.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,047 Likes on 1,428 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Interesting.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:14 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
I tend to have an over inflated value of self worth. As such, I can be *****ly at times when I feel I am correct. This afternoon I received a letter from my dogs vet asking I no longer go back there.
Last week I bought my dogs fecal sample back for a retest and was told I had to pay again. When I qurstioned the receptionist and asked to speak to the doctor, she gave me a hard time, flat out told me no, and insisted I had to pay again. I calmly asked again to have the doctor call me back, she said he's not going to call you back. I left the stool sample on her desk and tell her keep the bag of ****, it's for you, and then asked for my dogs records. She obliged.
My wife and I are laughing at this letter signed by "the staff", like they're breaking up with me. Break up with me? You can't! I'm breaking up with you!
**** em all. This is the land of choice and I'll take my business elsewhere.
My foul language... **** you. #nyvalues
Old 10-15-2016, 12:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4Matic, 2014 C300 Sport 4Matic
Its amazing how ****ty service dept ruins a brands loyalty just like that. And I have 2 MB's. When I lived in Minneapolis I loved my dealership no issues they always fixed my car when I complained about something. But my local one now that I moved literally charges for everything nickel and dime u to death plus I swear the advisors at my dealer are retarded. I could have the wife's car in one day then mine the next day and deal with the same advisor and he acts like he doesn't know me or anything. And when I bring up issues they he acts like I'm inconveniencing him. And this is a small dealer. They got about a year left b4 we upgrade my wife's car and 2 b4 I do mine. If **** don't change I'll be switching brands. Back to Lexus for me
Old 10-15-2016, 08:09 AM

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
2013 ML350 Bluetec, 2016 C3, 2020 Lincoln Aviator
I had a similar incident at a Dodge dealer a little over three years ago. Had a Durango where the AC would frost over once or twice a year when the temp was set low and the fan was at low speed. A known issue with a TSB for it's fix. Brought the vehicle in for other service and asked if they could do the fix and reminded them of the TSB. They said they would check it out. Got a call later in the day saying it needed a new compressor and would cost $1200. Told them no way as it was blowing very cold, just frosted over a couple of times a year. I could just live with it.

Went to pick up the Durango and when I started to drive away I noticed I had NO air, only warm air out of the vents. Went immediately back and told them we now have a problem that was not there when I brought it in. Service manager told me "you brought it in because there was a problem and we told you the compressor was bad. What do you want from us?" We had a bit of a discussion, and the service manager got up and into my face, literally a few inches away from me and started yelling. I did not like that and gently pushed him back, no need to be a few inches away from me and yelling! Then he says I assulted him and he has witnesses, he could call the police. I told him **** you, fix my vehicle.... He walked and my original service advisor took the Durango.

The service manager came back about a half hour later, says the tech left a fitting open and they have now recharged the system. He threw the keys at me and turned and walked away. I swore I would never go back.....

After that the system was only working at a little more than half efficiency. I had a mechanic friend check it out a few weeks later and he just laughed... they had over charged the system. He corrected it and the AC worked great. My daughter now has this vehicle and the AC is still working great.

That was just before I replaced it with my ML350. I bought a lot of vehicles from that dealer, but never again. Even my sales friend who had been there for over 20 years left and went to the local Hyundai dealer.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 197 Likes on 158 Posts
2018 GT R; Tesla M3P
I believe the OP. I was treated like sh*t to at my MB dealership too. Nothing was fixed, they just made it worse and told me to get lost.
Old 10-15-2016, 09:59 AM
Out Of Control!!

I'm pretty sure that these days the value of "I have bought four Mercedes from them" has gone out the window. The flux in sales and management is high and there is high volume on these car sales--- no one gives a sh-t anymore

im not saying that it's right, but it seems to be the new reality. Of course someone will post with their personal exception of their awesome dealership and that's wonderful
Old 10-15-2016, 10:21 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Try the Marin dealership , They are very helpful and super friendly.ask for Tony he is my advisor.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I'm pretty sure that these days the value of "I have bought four Mercedes from them" has gone out the window. The flux in sales and management is high and there is high volume on these car sales--- no one gives a sh-t anymore

im not saying that it's right, but it seems to be the new reality. Of course someone will post with their personal exception of their awesome dealership and that's wonderful
Exactly, and all bets are off when the dealership changes hands. You didn't buy five cars from them. You bought five cars from the people who used to occupy the same building.
Old 10-15-2016, 10:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

You bought five cars from the people who used to occupy the same building.
^^this
Old 10-15-2016, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
I'm surprised your story with Walnut Creek started recently.... I've been there three times attempting to buy cars... Each time, the sales people were pleasant, but refused to even consider negotiating... Even on a CPO car.. LOL. I took my business to RAB motors and had dramatically better service and sales experiences... Of course, I don't live anywhere near there anymore...
Old 10-15-2016, 05:36 PM

Exactly, and all bets are off when the dealership changes hands. You didn't buy five cars from them. You bought five cars from the people who used to occupy the same building.
To be accurate, I have bought 1 from the previous owners (Michael Stead Mercedes of Walnut Creek) and 3 from the new owners (Mercedes of Walnut Creek A Sonic Automotive Dealership).
Old 10-15-2016, 06:26 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Some dealers think that they are the only one. Would not give a price unless I committed to buying that day and without knowing the price.
I just said no thanks and walked. Purchased from another dealer over the phone.
Old 10-15-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Funny story , I went to that dealership and looked at the then excitingly new c class never showed interest in anything else, few days later the dealership was sending under 20k cars in my email lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Absolutely Shocking And Horrific Dealership Experience At Walnut Creek MB