C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Experience with RaceChip and Installation Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 04:54 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Experience with RaceChip and Installation Help

Hi guys,

I just ordered the RaceChip Ultimate for my C300 W205 (for the curious https://www.racechip-usa.com/chiptun...05)/300-180kw/)

For an added ~60 HP and 27% Torque I think it is pretty neat! I haven't received it yet but I started researching the exact installation method and I haven't been too successful. In theory it is a 5 minute process, so it would be awesome if theres anyone who has experience with it to share what they think about it and how to install it. Greatly Appreciated!
Old 11-07-2016, 05:14 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Install is easy. You'll need to connect boost pressure sensor and fuel rail pressure sensor.
Honestly - Good luck is all I can say. I got suckered into the Racechip BS as well and you can read about my saga here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...0-bluetec.html

Your C300 (i.e. the M274 motor) will suffer the same problems as my OM651 diesel. Both engines are the maxed out variants, meaning they already run the highest factory boost and fuel pressures. The chip trying to fool the electronics into providing more boost is only going to give a very small advantage. On the lesser version of the M274 (e.g. the C250) you could get a nice jump due to the de-tuned nature of the engine but if you're running the top spec output variant already then good luck.

I would strongly encourage you to get an independent dyno test done once you installed it and then compare that against the BS that Racechip told you.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:24 PM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DBOC205
Install is easy. You'll need to connect boost pressure sensor and fuel rail pressure sensor.
Honestly - Good luck is all I can say. I got suckered into the Racechip BS as well and you can read about my saga here:

Your C300 (i.e. the M274 motor) will suffer the same problems as my OM651 diesel. Both engines are the maxed out variants, meaning they already run the highest factory boost and fuel pressures. The chip trying to fool the electronics into providing more boost is only going to give a very small advantage. On the lesser version of the M274 (e.g. the C250) you could get a nice jump due to the de-tuned nature of the engine but if you're running the top spec output variant already then good luck.

I would strongly encourage you to get an independent dyno test done once you installed it and then compare that against the BS that Racechip told you.
Interesting. Thanks for your reply. I was kind of excited about it, but now I'll be a little wary when testing it. The pictures you have on that thread seem to be quite a bit different from the ones I received via email. I've attached those to this post. It looks like there's only one sensor I need to connect? Not quite sure yet but we will find out

Edit: Also for my model, there is only the racechip ultimate which doesn't have the bluetooth connection feature, but is supposed to offer more manual tuning options.

Old 11-07-2016, 05:31 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG

Some info above incorrect:-
You have the petrol M274 same as mine, the install is easy save for the Tmap sensor which is in fact a bugger to get to disconnect and reconnect.
The access is apalling, its behind the support bracket for the air water intercooler through a small hole.. personally i removed the sensor body which allowed easier disconnect and reconnect.
Whether you can do the same depend son how mwchanically inclined you are and the tools you have available to you.

Re benefit, YOU WILL NOT GET THE NUMBER RC QUOTE... you should abolutley get a baseline and then subsequent independant dyno number.
Others using same unit and comparable boost level intercept on the C300 are seeing perhaps 20-25 hp on the C300
on the C250 its around 40hp for the reason DBOC states, your started higher.... If you want more than that the motor can make it but would require greater mods..
ECU, IC, turbo upgrade, likely water/ meth injection.... check out Turbosmart for the work they have been doing on the CLA250 (same engine block very different intake / exhaust orientation and of course transmission)...

If you are happy with a small increase lower down and a little more throttle reposnse then they are wroth while.. for anything more you will need to modify.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:27 PM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Shadwell
Some info above incorrect:-
You have the petrol M274 same as mine, the install is easy save for the Tmap sensor which is in fact a bugger to get to disconnect and reconnect.
The access is apalling, its behind the support bracket for the air water intercooler through a small hole.. personally i removed the sensor body which allowed easier disconnect and reconnect.
Whether you can do the same depend son how mwchanically inclined you are and the tools you have available to you.

Re benefit, YOU WILL NOT GET THE NUMBER RC QUOTE... you should abolutley get a baseline and then subsequent independant dyno number.
Others using same unit and comparable boost level intercept on the C300 are seeing perhaps 20-25 hp on the C300
on the C250 its around 40hp for the reason DBOC states, your started higher.... If you want more than that the motor can make it but would require greater mods..
ECU, IC, turbo upgrade, likely water/ meth injection.... check out Turbosmart for the work they have been doing on the CLA250 (same engine block very different intake / exhaust orientation and of course transmission)...

If you are happy with a small increase lower down and a little more throttle reposnse then they are wroth while.. for anything more you will need to modify.
Thanks for the thorough response! Do you know if it is possible to install the chip without connecting the TMAP sensor? I'm guessing at this point that it would act like other chips that only plug into the top sensor? If not then I guess I will either have to install it myself (kinda scared about it) or take it to a shop that can maybe get it installed.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:30 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Nothing scary about it .. if its anything like getting to my boost sensor, you just need the hands the size of a 3 year old to do it
Old 11-07-2016, 06:36 PM

2016 C300 4MATIC
Nothing scary about it .. if its anything like getting to my boost sensor, you just need the hands the size of a 3 year old to do it
Haha. I don't think mine is the same. It seems that I have to remove the ECU and another plastic container thing just to get to the sensor. I might be wrong though.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by alyshehata
Thanks for the thorough response! Do you know if it is possible to install the chip without connecting the TMAP sensor? I'm guessing at this point that it would act like other chips that only plug into the top sensor? If not then I guess I will either have to install it myself (kinda scared about it) or take it to a shop that can maybe get it installed.

In short no...

You are corrcet, the ECU and bracket need to be removed, the harnesses also need to be encouraged out of the way.
The access to the sensor can be done with long screwdrivers looking down and left from the front RHS headlight.. disconnecting is possible but not easy.
Reconnecting the respective ends for me wasn't possible. Hence i used a torx to remove the sensor from the inlet manifold, then i dosconnected and fitted the intercept harness to each end, and then refitted the sensor body to the manifold.. none of this was easy but it was easier than trying to do the keyhole surgery...
Old 09-19-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2016 C300 W205
Originally Posted by alyshehata
Interesting. Thanks for your reply. I was kind of excited about it, but now I'll be a little wary when testing it. The pictures you have on that thread seem to be quite a bit different from the ones I received via email. I've attached those to this post. It looks like there's only one sensor I need to connect? Not quite sure yet but we will find out

Before any that, 1st thing I would do is clean that engine bay!! Show that Mercedes some love!! :-)
The following 2 users liked this post by ped5key:
diamondsilver16 (09-19-2019), invalidjson (05-26-2022)