C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400
View Poll Results: RUN FLAT OR NON RUN-FLAT TIRES FOR C-CLASS W205 ?
RFT
29.41%
NON RFT
70.59%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

ULTIMATE THREAD! Run flat tires or not RFT tyres, what is the best choice for you ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 03:13 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
ULTIMATE THREAD! Run flat tires or not RFT tyres, what is the best choice for you ?

Hi,

Still wondering if I should select runflat tires or non run flat tires for the C-class.

Have you changed yours ?

It's clear that RFT tyres are not as comfortable but it's obvious that they are safer, so what do you choose between RFT or non-rft tyres ?

Price ? Do you really care the price when you own a Benz and the price of what could save your life ?

Waiting for your ideas to know if mine are fine :-)

Thank you !
Old 11-12-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
While I understand the compromises in RFT design, I have stayed with my OEM tires and won't consider non-runflats until these wear out.

In the event of a flat, which is rare, do I want to be able to drive to a safe spot or be compelled to deal with the situation wherever the tire fails? I recently had a front tire pierced by a large bolt and was able to drive to a garage where the tire was able to be plugged. In a few minutes I was back on the road.

There's no question that RFT's are less compliant and therefore give a harsher ride. You can also get a much larger range of tire options with standard tires .... from high performance summer tires, all-seasons, to snows. It just comes down to how you react to the performance of the RFT's you have on your car. In my own case, I'm fine with them for now and will reconsider that when the time to buy new tires comes.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Replaced mine almost immediately with Michelin Pilot Supersports. I've ran them on every Benz I've owned (04 S430, 06 S500, 10 S550) and I've become spoiled by them I'm afraid. They ride and handle like no other tire I've tried. And I've tried a few, because the Michelins aren't cheap!)

I bought a Seal & Fill kit since there's no spare. Anecdotally I've put over 200,000 miles on MPSS over the years and never had a flat, but of course it is possible.

On a 205 with AirMatic the ride becomes very S Class like on them.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2012 C63 P31 Coupe. 2007 SL55. 1992 911 C2 Coupe
Ejbrock

I also run Michelin Pilot Supersports and am very happy with their performance. I also fill them with nitrogen.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by benzw205
Hi,

Still wondering if I should select runflat tires or non run flat tires for the C-class.

Have you changed yours ?

It's clear that RFT tyres are not as comfortable but it's obvious that they are safer, so what do you choose between RFT or non-rft tyres ?

Price ? Do you really care the price when you own a Benz and the price of what could save your life ?

Waiting for your ideas to know if mine are fine :-)

Thank you !
I had the dealer swap out the runflats for Continental non-run flat all season tires (19 inch) at no cost when I bought my 16 C Class. I'm happy with how they ride and the wear at 14k miles.
Old 11-14-2016, 04:48 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
benzw205
Still feel weird that comfort is for most of you more important than security.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
As far as a typical flat, a Seal & Fill kit can repair a puncture and reinflate the tire. In the event of a sidewall rupture or anything else that damages the tire structurally beyond just its capacity to hold air, a run flat is just as useless as a conventional tire.

Incidentally, because of their extra stiff sidewalls, the run flats are much more prone to sidewall ruptures in the first place, especially on 19" wheels. Tons of threads on here about guys with multiple sidewall ruptures and tire replacements.

But if it would just drive you crazy with worry about getting a flat from a puncture on non run flats, don't do it. The trade off though is a harsher ride, shorter tread life, extra cost, more noise and a greater potential for blow outs.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I don't think there's any debate over the performance and comfort superiority of non-RFT's over RFT's. In many situations, especially if the sidewall is not damaged, an RFT can get you to a service facility safely when punctured. A non-RFT will require either a call for help or some sort of inflation/sealant kit. Ultimately, they are a rationale for manufacturers to avoid including spare tires and jacks with new cars. They do offer a solution, but one that is not always reliable.

For me, the question is simply about incurring the additional expense of replacing the tires on my car before they are worn. I run non-RFT snow tires during the winter months ... which here is late November through early April. When my OEM tires need replacing I will probably consider replacing them with standard all-seasons rather than summer tires, simply because we can get very cold temperatures almost any time of the year. Again I agree the RFT's have as many disadvantages as advantages, but I will wait until it's time to shop for new tires.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:00 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Smile No conflict

Originally Posted by benzw205
Still feel weird that comfort is for most of you more important than security.
I do not feel any conflict, and I have runflats. The ride is only slightly more harsh than my previous 2007 C280W4 (see my Signature, below). Of course, I have the stock 17" wheels with full-height sidewalls. (My C280 also had full-height sidewalls.) In both cases, this choice was consistent with the Luxury trim level and sedate usage intended. (Sporty driving in the western suburbs of Boston is impossible. Just join the parade and let the Distronic Plus keep you from hitting the rear end of the Toyota RAV4 in front of you when you inevitably zone out.) For additional security, I also have a ContiComfortKit pump and sealant kit. I bought this kit when I had the C280, even though that car had a spare.

I don't see many Luxury trim C-Class around here. I also realize that not many MBWorld readers have full-height sidewalls. So those of you who have already compromised your comfort for a sportier appearance (and maybe can actually use sportier performance) have a more difficult choice.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
The car that got me thinking about a 205 was a base loaner car on 17". That car, on a steel base suspension just slightly stiffer than lux, had a great balance of comfort and handling. By the time I spec'd out my build I had the Sport package for aesthetics, with 18" wheels and AirMatic to take the edge off. That plus the tire swap got me about 80% of the ride quality of the base car on 17's. I was coming from a series of S Classes so my standard for what constitutes ride quality is a little (or a lot) skewed.