C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Rattles Driving me Crazy..Any solution?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 10:49 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Rattles Driving me Crazy..Any solution?

Picked up a new C43.
Day 1 I heard rattles occasionally from the speedometer area.
Later, it's worse, it rattles at the first 10 minutes when car's warming up (I am in North-east area so it's cold in winter). Especially when the car is going on a bumpy road. I couldn't narrow it down to exactly where. I kept pressing the areas around the head-up display, nothing would happen by pressing - it looks like something inside that's temperature variable - can shrink and expand depending on the temperature.
Now, after the dealer put special grease on the speedometer area, it's worse than ever, almost can hear rattles for sure when temperature is cold and on a bumpy road...

Also, rattles at the passenger side seat belt adjuster - anyone has a solution to fix this? I know some people mentioned this in other threads, but I couldn't find any solutions.
I have driven two 2017 C300 loaner, both experienced rattles at some degree.

All rattles described above did not happen on my 2015 C300.

Btw, one foreman who drove with me was either deaf or had hearing problem, so he couldn't hear sh*t. It was so loud and he was sitting right besides the seat belt and couldn't hear it. He's the same foreman who test drove my 2015 C300 which had the wind noise issue. I think he pretended not to hear it so he didn't have to fix it. I specifically told my service adviser and manager not to have this person to handle any rattles related issues with my car, "he's got a hearing problem".
Old 01-03-2017, 11:34 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by arnold0523
Picked up a new C43.
Day 1 I heard rattles occasionally from the speedometer area.
Later, it's worse, it rattles at the first 10 minutes when car's warming up (I am in North-east area so it's cold in winter). Especially when the car is going on a bumpy road. I couldn't narrow it down to exactly where. I kept pressing the areas around the head-up display, nothing would happen by pressing - it looks like something inside that's temperature variable - can shrink and expand depending on the temperature.
Now, after the dealer put special grease on the speedometer area, it's worse than ever, almost can hear rattles for sure when temperature is cold and on a bumpy road...

Also, rattles at the passenger side seat belt adjuster - anyone has a solution to fix this? I know some people mentioned this in other threads, but I couldn't find any solutions.
I have driven two 2017 C300 loaner, both experienced rattles at some degree.

All rattles described above did not happen on my 2015 C300.

Btw, one foreman who drove with me was either deaf or had hearing problem, so he couldn't hear sh*t. It was so loud and he was sitting right besides the seat belt and couldn't hear it. He's the same foreman who test drove my 2015 C300 which had the wind noise issue. I think he pretended not to hear it so he didn't have to fix it. I specifically told my service adviser and manager not to have this person to handle any rattles related issues with my car, "he's got a hearing problem".
It really depends on your service advisor and how willing they are to go the extra mile. I had similar issues and the first service advisor told me there wasn't anything that can be done. The next time I brought it in, I did not walk up to her and chose to work with another guy instead. That guy was super awesome told me they would take care of everything and he didn't even take it for a drive. I was having rattle issues at the burmester grilles but he basically fixed it all by applying extra felt etc.. my advice would be to find a different advisor or to try to fix it yourself. You can find felt tape for pretty cheap at auto stores or online. For the instrument cluster area I recommend you stick it right between where the dash meets the binnacle on both sides and make sure that you really put enough to hold the dash up and away from the binnacles on bumps. That helped my cars rattle a great deal.
The following users liked this post:
arnold0523 (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 03:37 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
I think the instrument cluster (binnacle) rattles have been mentioned a bunch of times here and has been fixed with felt by the dealer. The passenger seat belt adjuster also sounds slightly familiar not sure of the fix for that. Definitely experience more rattles in most cars in the winter. After the car is warm inside from running the heater do the binnacle rattles subside a bit?

In my W204 my driver side vanity mirror used to rattle in the cold but it would stop once the interior got warmed up (30 mins or so of the heat running).
arnold0523 (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
My 2015 was totally rattle free for the first 15,000 miles but now, at 20,000 miles, I can hear some rattles over rough roads.

The car is currently in for its B service and the tech there does hear the rattles. They still have not been able to isolate the source, but they assured me they will and it will be fixed. While there, the check engine light came on and threw a code. It's apparently a known issue with a TSB out for a fix.

I'll be curious to see if and how they address the rattles.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
The combination meter (or gauge cluster.. what ever you want to cal it) is a composite piece, the clear screen clips to the rear body piece and of course the working live within this.

The plastics used are quite brittle and at all of the clips when the unit is twisted, pushed or pulled the plastics rub and creak.
Applying felt around the perimeter will only stop movement between the cluster and the dash structure.
To reduce noise from mine, I:-
1./ Applied silicon lube to the mating faces of the binnacle assembly.
2./ Applied rubber grease to the mating faces of the binnacle to the dash at the fixing faces.
3./ Added the felt tape around the circumference of the binnacle.
4./ Added low density foam to the aperture in the dash behind the binnacle to reduce air volume which may support he noise transmission.
Combined these have assisted in reducing noise from this area.

The B Pillar assembly has an upper and lower plastic shroud:-

The lower is plane with harness and body panel behind it with e seat belt unit at the base of the b pillar. Here I added foam tape to the body panel where the harness is in proximity. I also added dynamat to all flat faces available.
On the upper I added dynamat to the plastic shroud strategically (so as not to foul either the belt or the height adjust mechanism). I aslo added rubber grease to the height adjust sliding face on the rear of the shroud panel to assist function and reduce friction which may lead to noise.

As an aside I have stripped the rear door (wagon), all passenger doors, rear seat base, trunk floor and sides, rear quarter panels, center console, and dash sides and added ; dynamite extreme, low density adhesive foam sheet, high density foam sheet, rubber grease and silicon strategically to every body panel face, trim piece face, and fixing mating faces. I also torque checked all fixings as I proceeded and corrected a number of factory defects on the way.

The vehicle is essentially now correct in regards to NVH....

I hope within this some info was useful.
arnold0523 (01-03-2017)
Old 01-03-2017, 07:43 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
I think the instrument cluster (binnacle) rattles have been mentioned a bunch of times here and has been fixed with felt by the dealer. The passenger seat belt adjuster also sounds slightly familiar not sure of the fix for that. Definitely experience more rattles in most cars in the winter. After the car is warm inside from running the heater do the binnacle rattles subside a bit?

In my W204 my driver side vanity mirror used to rattle in the cold but it would stop once the interior got warmed up (30 mins or so of the heat running).
It was the case - rattles happened during warming up - first 10 mins.
But it's getting worse and it's constant now.

Anyway thanks, and I will mention the felt to my service advisor.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Shadwell
The combination meter (or gauge cluster.. what ever you want to cal it) is a composite piece, the clear screen clips to the rear body piece and of course the working live within this.

The plastics used are quite brittle and at all of the clips when the unit is twisted, pushed or pulled the plastics rub and creak.
Applying felt around the perimeter will only stop movement between the cluster and the dash structure.
To reduce noise from mine, I:-
1./ Applied silicon lube to the mating faces of the binnacle assembly.
2./ Applied rubber grease to the mating faces of the binnacle to the dash at the fixing faces.
3./ Added the felt tape around the circumference of the binnacle.
4./ Added low density foam to the aperture in the dash behind the binnacle to reduce air volume which may support he noise transmission.
Combined these have assisted in reducing noise from this area.

The B Pillar assembly has an upper and lower plastic shroud:-

The lower is plane with harness and body panel behind it with e seat belt unit at the base of the b pillar. Here I added foam tape to the body panel where the harness is in proximity. I also added dynamat to all flat faces available.
On the upper I added dynamat to the plastic shroud strategically (so as not to foul either the belt or the height adjust mechanism). I aslo added rubber grease to the height adjust sliding face on the rear of the shroud panel to assist function and reduce friction which may lead to noise.

As an aside I have stripped the rear door (wagon), all passenger doors, rear seat base, trunk floor and sides, rear quarter panels, center console, and dash sides and added ; dynamite extreme, low density adhesive foam sheet, high density foam sheet, rubber grease and silicon strategically to every body panel face, trim piece face, and fixing mating faces. I also torque checked all fixings as I proceeded and corrected a number of factory defects on the way.

The vehicle is essentially now correct in regards to NVH....

I hope within this some info was useful.
WOW!!! I must print this out!