C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Suspension noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2017 | 11:44 PM

C200 4matic
Suspension noise

My C200 has developed some slight suspension noise. Wife doesn't hear it but it drives me nuts.
The noise is particularly loud on very small bumps on the road, bigger dips I hear nothing.. I have checked my coils and accuair airbags and nothing is lose.

My installer did hear the noise also but couldn't identify the problem ( we didn't have time for a thorough check ).

Its a like a slight knock, not loud but its there. Has anyone on this forum experienced anything similar ?
Old 02-01-2017 | 02:16 AM

2015 C400
Yup, I have a 2015 C400 and I was hearing the same type of noise. Went to the dealer they said everything was normal. Brought the car home a week later my car shows a malfunction sign and says car too low to drive. Had to have it towed to a dealer to find out my air suspension compressor went out. Apparently this was not common on a c class. The funny thing is that suspension rattle I had in my car I can also hear slightly in a brand new 2017 c300 loaner I'm driving.
Old 02-01-2017 | 02:53 AM

C200 4matic
Originally Posted by Fbm_cavansite
Yup, I have a 2015 C400 and I was hearing the same type of noise. Went to the dealer they said everything was normal. Brought the car home a week later my car shows a malfunction sign and says car too low to drive. Had to have it towed to a dealer to find out my air suspension compressor went out. Apparently this was not common on a c class. The funny thing is that suspension rattle I had in my car I can also hear slightly in a brand new 2017 c300 loaner I'm driving.
thx for feedback. Interesting that ur loaner also has the sound guess we are not alone. Let's see if others tip in.
Old 02-01-2017 | 10:43 AM

W205 C200 Sport Premium Plus. October 2018. 1497cc with 48 volt battery eq
My W205 with airmatic has this problem rear nearside only, been to dealer twice first time they changed the shock. 2nd time they said they had contacted MB in Germany who said it was a known problem and were working on a fix, said though it was safe to drive.
Old 02-02-2017 | 07:18 PM

C200 4matic
Originally Posted by Merlin1
My W205 with airmatic has this problem rear nearside only, been to dealer twice first time they changed the shock. 2nd time they said they had contacted MB in Germany who said it was a known problem and were working on a fix, said though it was safe to drive.
That is very interesting thank you.. I think ill drop by car at my tuner soon to have them double check. The funny thing is that its not a loud noise it just drives me crazy cause I know it shouldn't be there.

I just cant figure out if its really from the suspension or maybe the steering column thats hitting something.. its a not a loud metallic knock so it confuses me.
Old 02-02-2017 | 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I've owned 3 AirMatic cars and at some point each had either a strut and/or compressor failure. (Usually a leaking strut causes the compressor to run continuously trying to maintain pressure and it burns out). None failed until at least 60k miles. Odd that these are going already.
Old 02-02-2017 | 07:37 PM

C200 4matic
Originally Posted by Mike5215
I've owned 3 AirMatic cars and at some point each had either a strut and/or compressor failure. (Usually a leaking strut causes the compressor to run continuously trying to maintain pressure and it burns out). None failed until at least 60k miles. Odd that these are going already.
in China they dont sell airmatic so mine has accuair. Meaning my compressors are in the trunk and they are working well. We have checked the coil overs and there is no issue with them as we can see right now.. We will however bring the car in for a more thorough check again...
Besides I only have 5000 miles on the car. I think its more related to a new car baby disease issue
Old 02-03-2017 | 02:45 AM

2015 C400
Originally Posted by janusgrimnitz
That is very interesting thank you.. I think ill drop by car at my tuner soon to have them double check. The funny thing is that its not a loud noise it just drives me crazy cause I know it shouldn't be there.

I just cant figure out if its really from the suspension or maybe the steering column thats hitting something.. its a not a loud metallic knock so it confuses me.
I feel you, I felt the exact same way. I just picked up my car and the compressor was replaced. I was hoping this rectified the issue but I can still hear that annoying sound it's not loud but it's just there and bothers the heck out of me! The dealership keeps saying the suspension is fine. I have 44000km on it now. Just feel a benz should be free of such nuisances. Let me know what you find out.
Old 08-15-2017 | 05:13 PM

Mercedes benz w205
My C200 has developed some slight suspension noise. Wife doesn't hear it but it drives me nuts.
The noise is particularly loud on very small bumps on the road, bigger dips I hear nothing.. I have checked my coils and accuair airbags and nothing is lose.

My installer did hear the noise also but couldn't identify the problem ( we didn't have time for a thorough check ).

Its a like a slight knock, not loud but its there. Has anyone on this forum experienced anything similar ?
hi.do you identify the problem and solve ?
i have the similar problem
Old 08-15-2017 | 07:07 PM

C200 4matic
Originally Posted by Jooya
hi.do you identify the problem and solve ?
i have the similar problem

Nope problem is still there :-(
Old 08-16-2017 | 01:15 AM

c250 w205

i have the same probles with you.. slight noise from rear left suspension.. it tooks almost 1 year + madness checking until the problems covered under warranty..

To sum it up.. make your mercedes benz mechanic to dissambly the suspension, and check suspension tension / hydraulic tension, in my case the rear left suspension was weaken and have a different tension with the rear right suspension.. it's covered by warranty to be replace (800 USD for the parts, but its free) .. After that.. no more noise..

Hope it helps..