C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 Rear End - Coincidence or Related?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes c300
C300 Rear End - Coincidence or Related?

Hi,

Please let me know if I am in the wrong spot, I have never posted here before. I have two questions.

1. Yesterday I was stopped at a light when someone rear ended my 2009 c300. They didn't do a lot of noticeable damage but they did divot the rear bumper where I could see where his bolts were. The markings were about a mm deep. Is this something I should ask to get the whole rear bumper replaced for? Seeing as I'd like to resell this car at some point and I don't know how difficult it would be to match paint.

2. Today on my drive to work, I got a message saying to 'Check my rear left headlamp' when I cleared it I continued to get messages until all the different lights are named. Do you think me getting rear ended is related to the electrical involved in the lights or is it possible that it was just a coincidence? (If you have possible solutions for this, please let me know as well)
Old 03-15-2017, 12:46 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by AshleyVillan
Hi,

Please let me know if I am in the wrong spot, I have never posted here before. I have two questions.

1. Yesterday I was stopped at a light when someone rear ended my 2009 c300. They didn't do a lot of noticeable damage but they did divot the rear bumper where I could see where his bolts were. The markings were about a mm deep. Is this something I should ask to get the whole rear bumper replaced for? Seeing as I'd like to resell this car at some point and I don't know how difficult it would be to match paint.

2. Today on my drive to work, I got a message saying to 'Check my rear left headlamp' when I cleared it I continued to get messages until all the different lights are named. Do you think me getting rear ended is related to the electrical involved in the lights or is it possible that it was just a coincidence? (If you have possible solutions for this, please let me know as well)
The tail lamp or connector was likely damaged. If you plan on reselling the car make sure you take pictures of the damage so the future buyer can see how serious of an impact it was or wasn't. Contact the person's insurance and schedule an adjuster to come out and look at the vehicle, choose YOUR OWN Mercedes certified repair shop and have them fix any and all damage including the tail lamp and replacement bumper. And you should be good to go.
Old 03-15-2017, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
They'll likely replace and repaint the rear bumper cover vs attempting a repair, but the bumper cover is getting painted either way, unless you just want to live with the little divots and pocket the cash, which is what I'd do. It's an 09 so the defects to the cover are going to have zero affect on depreciation. They do need to fix the lamp assembly to clear the code though. Given the car's age expect them to source a salvaged (LKQ) part.

As far as shop choice, in my adjuster days I always recommended that if the owner knew a shop they'd used previously, and trusted, to use that shop. Otherwise use the carrier's "pro shop" or "approved shop".

The difference is that when you use the carrier's recommended shop, should you be dissatisfied with the repairs, the carrier can step in and get it addressed. If you're unhappy with the repair quality at the shop you picked, it's between you and the shop.

I can lean on a shop we do hundreds of thousands of dollars in business with each year. I have no leverage at the shop you chose instead.