C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

how to set the starting dynamic (agility) setting to ECO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 AMG Line (2015)
how to set the starting dynamic (agility) setting to ECO

My car is a C200 AMG Line (UK 2015). I can change the agility setting to ECO/Comfort/Sport etc using the toggle switch on the centre console. However, I noticed when I start the engine in the morning, it always goes back to Comfort. Does anyone know how to set the default to "ECO"?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
That is the default mode, and it's normal for the car to always start in Comfort mode. A minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:32 AM

C200 AMG Line (2015)
Originally Posted by StanNH
That is the default mode, and it's normal for the car to always start in Comfort mode. A minor annoyance, but an annoyance none the less.
Thanks for the reply, StanNH. This is what I notice and I keep changing it to ECO everytime thinking it will save some fuel. In the Vehicle Settings, it seems you can change the default mode but it still starts with Comfort.

The big question is if it is really saving fuel, or in other words, is it worth the bother?
Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
MidCity Engineering makes an auto-stop defeat module for the 205 that will also retain the last agility mode at restart.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W205
Stick to comfort mode, eco mode is really for motorway cruising and is dangerous (imo) at junctions/roundabouts etc. as when you want to pull out there is a delay with the throttle response.
The following users liked this post:
gfmohn (03-25-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 10:36 AM

C200 AMG Line (2015)
Originally Posted by StanNH
Just read the car manual, it retains setting for 4 hours. If the engine is started after 4 hours, it will always go back to Comfort mode. I can live with that.

My next question is what ECO will do different from Comfort mode? I read it will reduce the air con, and heated seat. What else will it do to save the fuel? Is it really saving fuel and how much? Is it worth to worry about if it is sub-10%?
Old 03-23-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by markchenguk
Just read the car manual, it retains setting for 4 hours. If the engine is started after 4 hours, it will always go back to Comfort mode. I can live with that.

My next question is what ECO will do different from Comfort mode? I read it will reduce the air con, and heated seat. What else will it do to save the fuel? Is it really saving fuel and how much? Is it worth to worry about if it is sub-10%?
i doubt you'll save that much in fuel.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C450
Be thankful you have this available to you in the UK. They robbed us of this feature in the US, and our car defaults to comfort immediately after turning the car off.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
c-fo-fiddy

It does not retain the mode for 4 hours. Your car will always revert to "comfort" mode when started. Even if you stop the car and turn it on 1 second later.

The heated seat is an electrical function and is not effected by different mode settings. But yes, the A/C is dialed back. As well as throttle response, ignition timing, mapping, boost(not sure on this, just guessing), as well as a few other things that simply dial down power of the motor to save fuel.

You'll likely only gain 1 or 2 MPGs when in "ECO" mode compared to "Comfort". Only way to find out is to calculate your mileage by driving a few tanks of gas in each mode. It's hard to be scientific about this since there are so many variables while driving, but if you do very similar driving throughout each tank, it'll be close enough.

At the end of the day, if you're driving a Mercedes, you really shouldn't be concerned with a difference of MPGs. That's for people that can only afford 7 year old Kia's. Just my opinion of course.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:58 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Cool Noises not appropriate to a Mercedes

Originally Posted by Razzyh
Stick to comfort mode, eco mode is really for motorway cruising and is dangerous (imo) at junctions/roundabouts etc. as when you want to pull out there is a delay with the throttle response.
Agreed. At one stop sign which I pass regularly, Comfort has too much lag for me. I normally use Comfort, but visibility is so limited at that stop sign and the crossing traffic some on so fast, that I shift to Sport as I approach it. (On my C300 4MATIC Luxury, Sport Plus just adds noises not appropriate to a Mercedes. The car is not quicker off the line and does not accelerate harder.)
Old 03-25-2017, 06:36 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by sean1.8t
It does not retain the mode for 4 hours. Your car will always revert to "comfort" mode when started. Even if you stop the car and turn it on 1 second later.
It's market dependent. There's a bit setting within the ECU which determines the default behavior and there are three modes (always remember, remember for 4 hours or never remember). Default for US market is not to remember the last mode.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:52 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
17 E220d all-terrrain, 92 SL500, 16 C250D Wagon, 16 A200 (wife)
Great info DBOC! Have you any idea if dealers will change this in your region? I'd like to ask mine to be reset remember last at restart, no revert. My wife would also like the same in her A. Both Nov 2016 new cars. Greg
Old 05-16-2017, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by DBOC205
It's market dependent. There's a bit setting within the ECU which determines the default behavior and there are three modes (always remember, remember for 4 hours or never remember). Default for US market is not to remember the last mode.
Do you know what controller this is from???
I have a vendor that MIGHT be able to program this via obdii as they currently make a module that reprograms eco mode off permanently.

They are out of Russia and asked for the controller!
If this works, it will be better than the mid city module and require no wiring...
Old 05-16-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by grege
Great info DBOC! Have you any idea if dealers will change this in your region? I'd like to ask mine to be reset remember last at restart, no revert. My wife would also like the same in her A. Both Nov 2016 new cars. Greg
I seriously doubt that dealers have capability or will power to change it. You need factory ECU software to manipulate the settings, although Xentry Online coding (which is what dealers have access to) can also influence it since that can flash a module, but this is limited to 'official' factory config and upgrades only (linked to the vehicle configuration in their database via the VIN), to guard against incorrect configurations being loaded onto the vehicle.

Vediamo is one of the tools that allows you to do coding and get all kinds of data from the many ECUs on the car. You can get hold of Vediamo easily enough but the engine control modules on the 205 are locked down to protect them from changes. Some people out there claim to have cracked the seed/key/response algorithm to unlock modules but its all murky business. MHH Auto forums is the place to look if you want to explore that world in more detail.
The following users liked this post:
jnash (03-18-2020)
Old 05-16-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
I wonder what's the benefit of MB having such a locked down system vs BMW/VAG that aren't as locked down.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:49 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
17 E220d all-terrrain, 92 SL500, 16 C250D Wagon, 16 A200 (wife)
Yeah that was my feeling too DBOC, it will be tightly managed. I have a product of my own that has canbus interface, may try to find what the codes are from the control switches and just emulate that, which is no doubt what the midcity does.
Dapper - when u think of the liability potential from permitting people to fiddle with car software, I'm not surprised!
Old 05-18-2017, 11:59 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
i doubt you'll save that much in fuel.
Originally Posted by gfmohn
Agreed. At one stop sign which I pass regularly, Comfort has too much lag for me. I normally use Comfort, but visibility is so limited at that stop sign and the crossing traffic some on so fast, that I shift to Sport as I approach it. ...
I take back what I implied about Eco mode! I merely assumed that Eco would be less responsive than Comfort mode. I had actually used Eco only a couple times when the car was new. Since I commented on Mar. 25, I have run a couple tankfuls of gas through the car. I used Eco, except when I forgot to engage it). My mileage (measured with pump receipts and odometer readings) increased from about 21.6 to 24.7 MPG (or 14.3%). "Your mileage may vary!"

What surprised me most was the responsiveness of Eco, at least in my car. It moves off the line IMMEDIATELY, much better than in Comfort. That first car length or two is all I care about. Of course, there is less total power, but the turbo and/or the engine does not have to wind up to deliver it. If I need more power, all I have to do is step on the pedal harder. Who floors it in winding lanes and 40-MPH suburban road? The overall effect is like driving a fairly powerful manual transmission car in a cruising gear and then stomping the gas without downshifting. It suits my driving style.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Originally Posted by grege
Yeah that was my feeling too DBOC, it will be tightly managed. I have a product of my own that has canbus interface, may try to find what the codes are from the control switches and just emulate that, which is no doubt what the midcity does.
Dapper - when u think of the liability potential from permitting people to fiddle with car software, I'm not surprised!
It's not really "permitting" if it's not advertised. With BMW and VAG they certainly don't advertise it but those who do their research can reap the benefits and take on the risk.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:28 PM

2017 Mercedes 220D
Glide mode

YES!!!! Glide mode only works in eco-mode. Glide mode is available in automatics when you lift your foot off the Excelerator pedal the car disengages the gear so you are gliding and the engine is running at tickeover. You can tell this because the D the drive has no number next to it and it’s just green and the revs drop down to tickover. This saves a lot of petrol in my experience. If you have an auto break I on the front of your car when the car in front gets to a certain distance it will automatically re-engage the gear

Last edited by Tim Gates; 06-19-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:10 AM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLA 250, 2011 C63 P31 (p30 w/ lsd) (in repair), 2005 C230 Sport Eurocharged, 2003 C320~sold
Exclamation

Originally Posted by DBOC205
DBOC or anyone else have you done this in a MED40? I looked and tried changing a few settings around where you set the ECO Start/Stop to last mode but Comfort still defaults when the vehicle is first started.

Could it be possible this isn't listed now and have to manually code the setting like the momentary blinker flash? If so what bits need changed?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
eBay - Vladimir from Belarus - his OBD module does the hard re-programming ob boot-up that is necessary to get "last mode selected" - on US spec MB's - you can't get there with "soft" over-ride tfrom SDFS/or-equivalents..
Old 07-17-2019, 11:40 PM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 GLA 250, 2011 C63 P31 (p30 w/ lsd) (in repair), 2005 C230 Sport Eurocharged, 2003 C320~sold
Any hard obd module that people sell is just doing the soft programming behind the seens.

Anyone know where in Vediamo to change the comfort transmission feature to last mode or which bit to change in MED40 via Vediamo like DBOC did on another ECU?
I did already configure the Eco start to last mode so it remains off now.
Old 03-18-2020, 08:43 PM

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
2017 S63
select your *.cbf module into Vediamo, then do an init with the car's module, then save the file to an HTML, then you can read the HTML in formatted space in a browser with all your settings. Then you can search for the parameter you want to change offline. It might be in german of course.