C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

good price?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 03:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c400
good price?

Hello guys!

First of all, I apologize if this thread broke the rules of this forum. I looked here and there for the price related threads but they were mostly for new cars and I'm very new to the mercedes scene so help me out guys!

So I have three cars in mind at the moment.

1. 2015 white/black c400 4matic.
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...elCode1=MBC400

2. 2015 dark blue/red c300 RWD (certified)
http://www.jaguarwestashley.com/inve...wf4jb5fu046299

3. 2016 grey/red c300 RWD.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5900/overview/

So these are the three of them I have mind. Which one would you guys get if you were me? I know the 3rd one has the most options but I feel like it's overpriced... what would you guys pay for the 3rd one? I'm really liking the 2nd one only because of the price but as far as how things are equipped, 3rd one wins. I only like the 1st one because its a c400 4matic but I don't wanna do white anymore.. and the c400s are so hard to find.

One last thing. What do you guys think about the reliability of the c300/400? Do you think I should get an extended warranty for it? Mind you, I drive 30k miles or more per year.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 04-10-2017, 05:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
The highest priced car is the newest and most heavily optioned so it would follow that it commands the highest price. The 2nd car is being sold at a Jaguar store. Only a Mercedes dealer can get a Mercedes certified. It's possible they have a sister store that is a Mercedes franchise. Otherwise they may call it "certified" but it's really not.

Personally I'd like the C400 for the better engine, and I think black/lindenwood is a good looking combo on the interior as well.

But if you're planning on doing double the average annual miles (30k) you have to find an actual CPO car AND buy the two additional years extension (about $4500).

CPO warranty is good for 12 months after the factory warranty ends, unlimited miles. You can extend that to a max of 36 months, at which point you'd dump the car. You'll also pay more for a certified car. MB corporate charges its dealers around $2k to issue the certification, and that's not including any additional money the dealer spends on reconditioning to meet the certification criteria.

If you're financing all or most of the car, the depreciation associated with the high mileage is going to put you upside down in equity unless the loan period is no longer than the CPO warranty period, which will make the payments pretty stiff. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a car you need to unload but can't without taking a big hit in negative equity. Bad spot.

I wouldn't own a C (or any Mercedes) out of warranty unless you're comfortable eating a few four figure repairs once in awhile.

You can go to MBs website and search for CPO cars, or filter AutoTrader to show only certified cars.
Old 04-11-2017, 12:56 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c400
Originally Posted by Mike5215
The highest priced car is the newest and most heavily optioned so it would follow that it commands the highest price. The 2nd car is being sold at a Jaguar store. Only a Mercedes dealer can get a Mercedes certified. It's possible they have a sister store that is a Mercedes franchise. Otherwise they may call it "certified" but it's really not.

Personally I'd like the C400 for the better engine, and I think black/lindenwood is a good looking combo on the interior as well.

But if you're planning on doing double the average annual miles (30k) you have to find an actual CPO car AND buy the two additional years extension (about $4500).

CPO warranty is good for 12 months after the factory warranty ends, unlimited miles. You can extend that to a max of 36 months, at which point you'd dump the car. You'll also pay more for a certified car. MB corporate charges its dealers around $2k to issue the certification, and that's not including any additional money the dealer spends on reconditioning to meet the certification criteria.

If you're financing all or most of the car, the depreciation associated with the high mileage is going to put you upside down in equity unless the loan period is no longer than the CPO warranty period, which will make the payments pretty stiff. Otherwise you'll be stuck with a car you need to unload but can't without taking a big hit in negative equity. Bad spot.

I wouldn't own a C (or any Mercedes) out of warranty unless you're comfortable eating a few four figure repairs once in awhile.

You can go to MBs website and search for CPO cars, or filter AutoTrader to show only certified cars.
Hi. thanks for your feedback. Do you think that price is fair though?

And the 2nd car is being sold at a jaguar store but it's actually listed on their sister store MB site. And I'll be putting down some money on it as well so the cost isn't really the problem. The problem is, is the c300 reliable. I'm just worried about their 2 liter 4cyl motor since as far as i know, it hasn't been around that long. I really want to go with a c400 because it's a 4matic and has more power but I really can't find the right c400 that has the cooled seats and the ILS on it..
Old 04-11-2017, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
If I was limited to only these three choices, I'd choose the C400 because:

1) It's a 4Matic.

2) It has a V6...not only with more power, but you don't have to worry about the engine wrist pin issues the 4 bangers were plagued with in 2015.

Average value (Kelly Blue Book) for this car in "very good" condition with standard equipment is $32,905 - $35,271...so depending on the options (I see it has at least the pano roof), my first offer would be $34,000...going no higher than $35,000.

Last edited by MASSC450; 04-11-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2017, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
I've never seen a C400 with ventilated seating. Ditto for the C450, for reasons I don't understand...they're the same seats as in the 300 that can be cooled and heated.

The T4 is an eager little guy but it's working all the time. The T6 is plenty of engine for a 205 and can relax in most day to day driving and highway cruises.

If the intelligent LED headlights and ventilated seats are the issue I'd gladly give those up for the C400.

I built my 300 with every option. There's a little nugget in each package that makes the whole package worth getting. Drivers Assist is good for Distronic and Traffic Jam Assistant. Parktronic is useful for the excellent 360 camera. Air Balance is nice for the ionizer. Power trunk is handy. AirMatic speaks for itself. COMAND is a necessity for the larger screen. Burmester is a must only because the A20 is like having a transistor radio for a sound system.

No question all the goodies enhance the experience but I think the engine choice is the over arching factor.