C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Want to sell 1979 300D that has had engine replaced with a 1984 (I think) 300D turbo

Old 04-24-2017, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1979 Mercedes 300D with newer 300D turbo engine, otherwise I drive a Toyota Tacoma
Want to sell 1979 300D that has had engine replaced with a 1984 (I think) 300D turbo

Hi - I am very new to this and I am not sure how to go about selling my car. Several years ago I took the car as "collateral" from a friend who was in need of a loan. (I actually got the title to it and everything - so it's mine) He kept telling me he wanted to buy it back. I was going to put it up for sale last summer but he insisted that he wanted it. But as things go, every extra dime he had went back into his business. His work truck had to be repaired and so on. I have had the car since 2013. It mostly sits in the garage because it's a nice car and I am afraid to drive it because it might get dinged up - especially if I parked it where I work). It does drive very nice. Sometimes, on sunny days, I will take it out and drive it around or go someplace where I see other people who have nice old cars and just sort of hangout, but I'm just not into classic car stuff. I am a very busy single parent. I had the brakes done and fluids changed when I acquired it. It leaks very little oil. The Michelin tires on it are very good. I probably have about $7000 or more invested in it. At the time I got it, I was unaware of the following that this car had acquired or anything about it's legendary engine. When I got it, I sort of had visions of turning it into a vegetable oil car or something like that, but after several hospitalizations and severe illnesses, this idea has been purged from my conscience. I have a bundle of receipts from the previous owner, along with the original manual and I have a workshop manual. It seems to have had one original owner, up to the time my friend acquired it, soon after which I acquired it. The work I have had done on it has been done by a retired Mercedes diesel mechanic who is rather out of the way. Otherwise, I could not afford to bring it to a Mercedes dealer to work on it. It's just too complicated for me and I don't know enough about these cars to be able to properly take care of it. Like I have been told to be careful who changes the oil, what kind of oil, use particular filters, etc. My older daughter needs a little 4 cylinder car for college that she can take to any local repair shop for oil changes, etc. So she is not wanting the Mercedes either. I don't know how to advertise it, or how to post pictures. I am not even sure of how much I should ask for it. So I am hoping that someone can just give me some guidelines and suggestions. I don't really want to post it on craigslist. I would rather try to get it advertised where people who really like this car will see the ad. I have had to rehome a few horses, goats, geese and other animals recently so please excuse the anthropomorphism. But this car needs a home with person who will appreciate it, who understands Mercedes diesel cars, vacuum systems, etc. etc. not someone like me who is afraid they might break it. turtlesrus0@gmail.com
Old 04-24-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 C350Te Wagon
Originally Posted by turtlesrus
Hi - I am very new to this and I am not sure how to go about selling my car. Several years ago I took the car as "collateral" from a friend who was in need of a loan. (I actually got the title to it and everything - so it's mine) He kept telling me he wanted to buy it back. I was going to put it up for sale last summer but he insisted that he wanted it. But as things go, every extra dime he had went back into his business. His work truck had to be repaired and so on. I have had the car since 2013. It mostly sits in the garage because it's a nice car and I am afraid to drive it because it might get dinged up - especially if I parked it where I work). It does drive very nice. Sometimes, on sunny days, I will take it out and drive it around or go someplace where I see other people who have nice old cars and just sort of hangout, but I'm just not into classic car stuff. I am a very busy single parent. I had the brakes done and fluids changed when I acquired it. It leaks very little oil. The Michelin tires on it are very good. I probably have about $7000 or more invested in it. At the time I got it, I was unaware of the following that this car had acquired or anything about it's legendary engine. When I got it, I sort of had visions of turning it into a vegetable oil car or something like that, but after several hospitalizations and severe illnesses, this idea has been purged from my conscience. I have a bundle of receipts from the previous owner, along with the original manual and I have a workshop manual. It seems to have had one original owner, up to the time my friend acquired it, soon after which I acquired it. The work I have had done on it has been done by a retired Mercedes diesel mechanic who is rather out of the way. Otherwise, I could not afford to bring it to a Mercedes dealer to work on it. It's just too complicated for me and I don't know enough about these cars to be able to properly take care of it. Like I have been told to be careful who changes the oil, what kind of oil, use particular filters, etc. My older daughter needs a little 4 cylinder car for college that she can take to any local repair shop for oil changes, etc. So she is not wanting the Mercedes either. I don't know how to advertise it, or how to post pictures. I am not even sure of how much I should ask for it. So I am hoping that someone can just give me some guidelines and suggestions. I don't really want to post it on craigslist. I would rather try to get it advertised where people who really like this car will see the ad. I have had to rehome a few horses, goats, geese and other animals recently so please excuse the anthropomorphism. But this car needs a home with person who will appreciate it, who understands Mercedes diesel cars, vacuum systems, etc. etc. not someone like me who is afraid they might break it. turtlesrus0@gmail.com
How does this post fit in 205 Sub forum?
Old 04-24-2017, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
He's not familiar with the way the forum is organized newest to oldest and chose the first C Class category in the list. The mods will move it.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
c-fo-fiddy
I suppose asking for some pics would also be above OP's pay-grade?
Old 04-24-2017, 08:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 554 Likes on 471 Posts
2016 C300
Screw the Benz. I'd like to see some pics of the goats and chickens.