C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Is something wromg with this picture

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 08:14 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C300 W205
Is something wromg with this picture

Just picked up a 2016 C300 on a lease, got what I believe is a very decent price, however I have a few concerns. It had 22 miles on the odometer. I was told it had the 22 miles because customers may have wanted to test drive it, I've always believed that dealerships have specially designated cars for this purpose.

1. The service indicator showed "first Service A due in 23 days", not 365 days.

The dealership said that always starts from when the car was built, I never had this in any other new car I have had. They reset it.

2. The steering wheel was not level when you where on a flat straight road, it was off by 3/4 of an inch.

The dealership did an alignment and showed me that it was some what out of alignment and they corrected it. Drove the car out and the steering wheel was still not level (was the same as when I brought it in) Left it a second time and when I picked it up the level of the wheel was much better, maybe just a tiny bit off now. The shops manager told me that they adjusted something to correct the level of the steering wheel in a way that would not effect the wear of the tires.

So here is the summery of my concerns:

Was this car used, damaged, in service already? I don't feel comfortable with anything the dealership explained. How can a brand new car have a bad alignment, a steering wheel that is not level and service due in 23 days, not 365?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much
Old 05-13-2017, 11:08 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
Honestly I don't think I would let this bother me if I were you. The service indicator could be just that, a notice from when the vehicle was built. They do have to start the car and drive it on a truck/transport/etc. so the car was started and depending on the build date it may very well be counting days to the first service. Hopefully some other guys will chime in but I don't see that out of the realm of possibility. I believe both my new C300s (2015 and 2016, it's a long story) had 15-20 miles on the odometer when I took delivery. My dealer does use loaners for test drives but if it's a car on the lot and not a custom delivery I don't see why they wouldn't use those if needed.

Regarding your steering wheel, it bothers me this was missed in QC, but on both my 300s the headlights were aimed VERY low from the factory (this is a fairly common issue) so finding the steering wheel or alignment off slightly doesn't surprise me.

That having been said, it shouldn't happen, but it doesn't surprise me. Quite honestly since it's a lease and warrantied i'd just keep an eye on it. If you have other problems then raise a concern. If it drives fine now then don't worry too much.

my 2 cents.
Old 05-13-2017, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Yeah that's pretty much delivery mileage. Sometimes a shopper wants to test drive a car with a specific configuration or option they're interested in, so they'll toss a plate on an inventory car. Enjoy the new car!
Old 05-13-2017, 11:47 AM

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts
2012 E350
I don't think the service reminder is an issue at all. Your car is a 2016 so it's counting days.

Next, alignment- sometimes you hit one good bump and it throws the alignment off. Not necessarily a mileage issue at all

Next- off center steering wheel, which is what I assume you mean when you say the wheel isn't level. Recall that all roads are crowned and you simply might need a touch of steering input to account for the crown in the road

And the specially designated cars for test driving? Yup, correct- those are all the unsold cars. When I bought my car I saw the one that I particularly liked and my test drive was in the car I ultimately bought. Only time my experience was different was once when I factory ordered and other times when the dealers did swaps to get the color I wanted.

Last edited by Zavato; 05-13-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 05-13-2017, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Test drives - I've always told them which vehicle I wanted to test drive. Even had them pull one off the show room floor.
Old 05-13-2017, 04:52 PM

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
2014 E350 Coupe (previous), 2016 C450 AMG Sport (previous), 2020 GLE450 (previous), 2021 S580 (now)
Honestly, the 22 miles on the odometer likely aren't even from test drives. If you walk around an MB showroom and check out a bunch of showroom cars, you'll see that most brand new cars have anywhere from 15-30 miles on the odometer on average.

Most vehicles are subject to PDI (pre-delivery inspection) after they've completed production. Essentially, the cars are driven a bit to make sure they work. (I personally would take pause at a vehicle with only 1 or 2 miles on the odometer.)

Beyond that, the cars are likely lightly driven around once they exit the factory or exit the port they arrived to, as they are taken to various shipping points or wait to be picked up by shipping trucks. Furthermore, once they arrive to a dealership, the cars are likely driven in and around the building as they are placed on the showroom floor and then moved around as needed, back and forth from the service drive where mechanical re-checks are done, etc.

TLDR: You have nothing to worry about.