C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2018 c300 stalling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 02:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C300
2018 c300 stalling

I have had this car since oct '17 and currently have about 3,000 miles on it. The car has stalled twice on me while accelerating from a stop at red lights. The first time, the car went into neutral and took several attempts to restart. The dealership did a software update and was good for about 1 month. This last time, the car went into park (parking brake lit) and also took several attempts to restart. I've seen some older posts with people having this problem but no one ever comes back to update as to what was wrong. In both instances, I've had the eco start/stop enabled. There are no error codes and the dealership cannot replicate the problem. They have had the car for the past 6 days and have escalated the issue to Mercedes USA. It is definitely not the recall that was done a few years ago with eco stop stalling while coasting to a stop since my car is fully stopped and stalls when accelerating upon a green light. Any thoughts, suggestions would be appreciated.
The following 2 users liked this post by Njrunner:
Ange67 (03-26-2018), BunnyBunny (04-27-2018)
Old 02-21-2018, 03:08 PM

Received 116 Likes on 101 Posts
2016 C450 AMG / C50 Lorinser
You live in the USA = Lemon Act so you are okay.
Old 03-26-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
2018 C300 Stalling

I'm having precisely the same problem. I've had the car since January 2018 and it's happened four times, all when going from eco stop at a red light. After the third time, Mercedes replaced the starter. It then happened again about ten days later. Each time the car has been running for at least 45 minutes. It's going in again in two days. I'll keep you posted.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:34 AM

c300
How's this issue going now? My car has exactly the same problem. I got the car at end of March, 2018, and it has already shifted into Park automatically three times (Twice at red light, once in the traffic). Each time, I had to press the start button to restart the engine.
Did you approach the sales manager who sold you the vehicle or the service department?

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-27-2018, 01:51 AM

Received 167 Likes on 121 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
I’ve never had this problem, but could it be a malfunctioning throttle body? I’m not sure, but I watch a YouTube channel called Tavarish, and he has a Lamborghini that would just die/stall after about 3,000 rpm. It turned out that his wiring for the throttle body was bad, and once he fixed it all was good.
The following users liked this post:
BunnyBunny (04-27-2018)
Old 06-19-2018, 04:44 PM

C300
Sorry for the slow reply but I wanted to be sure the problem was solved, which it appears to be. A subsequent visit had MB replace the security sensor under the hood, which -- odd as it sounds -- they said that MBUSA had told them there was a dead circuit in. That didn't do it. One month ago it was back in and, supposedly, the problem went from MBUSA to MBGER, which suggested replacing the crank sensor and pulse ring. That seems to have done the trick.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300
Any resolutions?

I see there’s been a possible answer. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, I am having the same issue with a 2018 model. I am wondering if either of you found an answer to the problem? My dealer cannot figure it out. Would appreciate any information. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Ange67
I'm having precisely the same problem. I've had the car since January 2018 and it's happened four times, all when going from eco stop at a red light. After the third time, Mercedes replaced the starter. It then happened again about ten days later. Each time the car has been running for at least 45 minutes. It's going in again in two days. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by garuyam; 01-25-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Sorry I didn’t see the new post.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:16 AM

C300
Originally Posted by garuyam
I see there’s been a possible answer. Thanks for sharing.

Hi, I am having the same issue with a 2018 model. I am wondering if either of you found an answer to the problem? My dealer cannot figure it out. Would appreciate any information. Thanks!
Yes, it's been over six months now and the crank sensor and pulse ring seem to have done the trick. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2019, 04:04 PM

c300
Hi Ange67,

I mentioned this post and my concerns about the car not acknowledging issues but the dealer is unwillling to help further as they don’t see an error or see a problem with the car. Could you give me guidance on how you escalated this further with MBUS ? I mentioned the crank sensor and pulse ring but they can’t go by something posted online. I am reaching out to MB customer service right now. appreciate your help.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:34 PM

C300
Sure -- I worked solely through the dealer (Mercedes Benz of Wilmington, Delaware), which pursued the issue pretty diligently. When they couldn't solve if after two tries, they went to MBUSA. As I understood it, the guys in Wilmington came up with the crank sensor/pulse ring theory, which MBUSA ran by MG Germany. The guys in Wilmington were pretty psyched that MB Germany gave it the thumbs up and there was mention of MB Germany possibly issuing a service memo on the issue. Don't know if that ever happened.

One angle you might want to press is safety. I repeatedly mentioned to my dealer the ramifications of my deciding it was time to go, pressing the gas, and having the car die.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:04 PM

c300
Ange67,

Thanks for getting back to me. Customer service was no help! They suggested I take it to a different dealer but I don’t see how that helps if there’s no error code or no way to replicate it. Sigh. I’m wondering if MB can directly contact the dealer you went to and request information on this issue. Thanks so much.
Old 02-21-2019, 03:22 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
Hi folks - any update on the cause or possible fix? Was it the crank sensor and pulse ring?
Old 02-21-2019, 09:31 PM

c300
DylanM,

I took my car to a different dealer and they were able to find that my voltage dip limiter was faulty and they replaced that. They believe this was causing the issue for me. They did check the crank sensor and pulse ring and did not find issues with that. Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
DylanM (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by garuyam
DylanM,

I took my car to a different dealer and they were able to find that my voltage dip limiter was faulty and they replaced that. They believe this was causing the issue for me. They did check the crank sensor and pulse ring and did not find issues with that. Hope this helps.
That sure does - much appreciated. I'm taking in the car this week and will be sure to mention the voltage dip limiter too.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:46 AM

2018 Mercedes GLC300W4
Angry Stalls at stop lights

I am having the same issue. My car has now been in the shop three times because it periodically stalls at stop lights and traffic lights after a day of "hard use." They have replaced the starter and now are blaming it on some hood issue. I am going to start a Lemon Law proceeding. My car has been in the shop since 12/20/19. Today is 1/14/20 and they still have not resolved the issue!! (and all the while deny this is an issue with the car...)
Old 06-03-2020, 10:22 PM

C300
Get A Lawyer

Originally Posted by JeanneCastafero
I am having the same issue. My car has now been in the shop three times because it periodically stalls at stop lights and traffic lights after a day of "hard use." They have replaced the starter and now are blaming it on some hood issue. I am going to start a Lemon Law proceeding. My car has been in the shop since 12/20/19. Today is 1/14/20 and they still have not resolved the issue!! (and all the while deny this is an issue with the car...)

I had the same exact issue on my 2018 C300 six months after I got the car. I took the car in 4 times totaling 45 days, and they replaced the starter too. They continued telling me that they cannot duplicate the issue and referred me to the manufacturer, in which they also declined to re-purchase the car back. I was being bounced back and forth between the dealer and MB USA, so had no choice but to find a lawyer.

A year later, I surrendered the car as they agreed to purchase it back...(Turned the car in a few hours ago.) Although I loved that car and did not want to give it back, it is unsafe! Please don't let them push you around like they did to me!

-Keep all your records. They are supposed to hand you the work order before and after dropping the car off. Beware that they may manipulate the drop off and pick up date. They will try to shave off days to get it "under" 30 days.
-Keep all footage - I know cellphones are dangerous while driving, but have it handy when the car stalls. I had my phone near me, so in the event of the car stalling, I would immediately turned on my emergency flashers and started recording.
-Document dates and times of people that you spoke too and occurrences of when and where the car stalled.
-Document any witnesses
-Get a lawyer!!!!

I work for Motortrend, we do marketing for all car manufacturers, including MB USA. Sadly, they didn't give a **** that a defective vehicle was sitting in their parking lot. As a matter of fact, they mentioned in their filing that I threatened tto tarnish their name since I worked for Motortrend, which was not true. I do admit to cussing them out, but never brought up that I would tarnish their name.

What really helped was the fact that I kept everything and documented EVERYTHING... I had a ton of evidence. Even the lawyer for Mercedes Benz had made a comment saying that "normally he doesn't receive this much evidence."

Hope that helps and Good luck.

If you need more guidance, I'm always happy to help

Old 06-05-2020, 09:24 AM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
2019 C300
I had a 2015 that had this stalling/limp mode problem and eventually, after a lot of grief, worked out a trade in assist deal. The problem started after I had it a year so Lemon Law was not applicable. I got a 2019 replacement over a year ago and it has the same problem. I must be lucky!