C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2015 C300 issues (Laundry List)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 4matic
2015 C300 issues (Laundry List)

Im new to this forum. I just wanted to share my experience with my newly bought CPO car.
I bought the car as CPO with 37k miles on it. It was a nightmare because CPO certification was not properly done. I got a chip/crack in the windshield and lots if other issues. Talked to MBUSA but told me they will only deal with brand new vehicles and it is going to be between the dealer and me if it is a CPO car.

I was deciding between a CPO Lexus IS 250 FSport and this one. (Buyer’s remorse?)

I’ve been browsing and reading posts regarding the issues of the car. I will list the issues I had and the others I have been dealing with right now.

1. Wrist Pin - fixed by my dealer. Noise upon deceleration on cold start. Right now it is making some noise upon acceleration on cold start. The new 2018 c300 loaner i got is smoother and quiter. I got a 4 matic and loaners are rwd. So mayber there is a difference. Kinda whiny but not sure if it is the ditect inject stuff.

2. Windshield crack/chip - this is a certified vehicle. Used car manager agreed to fix it, replaced theough safelite. Asked for OEM but refused. I even contacted MB USA. The guy I talked to told me that CPO certification is with the dealers hands and they just set parameters. Btw, they replacemnt was Fuyao Glass.
It was ok, cross fingers. I only have the rain sensing wipers. Told me no need for calibration.

3. Door handle LED light busted - replaced under warranty

4. Map pockets both seats loose - replaced under warranty

5. Touchpad not working - replaced under warranty

6. Wind noise - replaced both front windows with pilkington acouatic windshield.

7. Power outlet for back seats not working - loose cables. Fixed under warranty

8. Chipping plastic on steering wheel - replaced u der warranty

9. Eco start/Stop not working - battery recharged fixed but there is delay before the eco start/stop kicks in like 3-5 second delay on first few minutes of driving.

My car is back at the service now for these issues:

1. Upon fixing the wrist pin. They broke the plastic connecting to the air intake.

2. Click/rattle noise when HVAC was turned on/off on hot days. I can hear it as well when eco start/stop is about to kick in before stopping completely.

3. Panoramic sunroof wont fully close on backseat. Maybe 1/8 of an inch.

4. Eco start/stop delay on first few minutes of driving (3-5 seconds delay)

5. Clicking noise when changing gears from Park to Drive to Reverse in any order.

My service advisor was really helpful. She always give me a loaner for the warranty work. She understand that I just bought this car. I think this would be my last time buying a used car.

I havent decided yet if i should buy the extended warranty. Im not sure if it is going to be an extended CPO warranty with limitations or extended bumper to bumper warranty.

Thank you.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:18 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
C63S, Gallardo
It's under warranty, why worry? No car is perfect.
Old 04-10-2018, 04:59 PM

C300 4matic
Exactly. I just never had this long list of issues in a car. I had Honda, Mazda, Nissan, Ford, Toyota, Isuzu, Mitsubishi. I just didnt like how Mercedes USA handle the situation. But then, Im just trying to enjoy the car right now.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 Mercedes C350 Coupe
Wow, seems like a long list. Makes you wonder, what did the previous owner do with this car???
Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 PM

C300 4matic
Lesson learned. Certified car means you get extra year of warranty, new tires probably, and brake pads.
Ill probably get a warranty if i plan to keep the car for more years to come. Hopefully it is stil bumper to bumper. Is it?
Old 04-10-2018, 09:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 c300
It's not bumper to bumper. It's a limited warranty, but covers the more expensive stuff. I've pretty much had the same issues you've had with the car. I've kind of just learned to live with some of the minor stuff, cause I was starting to get super ****-retentive. My car has a little bit of rattles, and the transmission jerks during shifts from time to time, but I'm just gonna live with it. I got the extended warranty, so if anything major comes up, I'll most likely be covered. For now, I'm just going to enjoy the car and probably trade it in, in a year or two.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 PM

2015 C300
Man you seem to have gotten a bad c300. I was in the same situation as you and also purchased a 2015 C300 CPO from Long beach in CA. I have only had the car about a month but dont seem to have a large list of problems as you do. I do notice your number five issue with the clicking noise from going from park to reverse/drive; and it's def not the emergency brake releasing. You could always use the car for the next two to three years and once the warranty is up, sell it.

Did they really replace the pocket behind the driver and passenger front seats?
Old 04-11-2018, 01:48 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
W205
My seat back pockets were loose too! They replaced them. My wrist pin repair went great engine sounds better. I missed my appointment this morning about the wind noise. I know the main culprit is the pano roof trim is loose and hitting the wind.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:09 AM

C300 4matic
For the clicking noise, changing gears park to drive to reverse, I am not so sure about it, if it is normal or not. Some forums say older benz do that noise when changing gears. My new 2018 loaners didnt have that noise.

For the wind noise. It is definitely better than before. They changed both front glass to pilkington acoustic glass.

Shifting gears on my 4matic is ok. No hesitation. I may say smoother than the new 2018 with 9gtronic. I googled about resetting the memory when shifting gears. I used to have quick shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear.

They changed both my map pockets. Smells like new. Lol.

I forgot to add. They changed my front passenger side headrest because it was stuck.

Update on the panoramic sunroof. I noticed the new 2018 c300 has the same exact gap on the back seat.

I would definitely trade this in after 3-4 years. Maybe get a Tesla when it is realistic to travel with it interstate and faster charging method. They should just do battery swaps instead of waitin for it to charge for an hour.

I have a question though fellow c300 owners. Is the delay on eco start/stop normal at all? Like i will come to a stop then there is delay like 3-5 seconds before the engine turns off? It only happens like 2-3 times every day when I start my say driving the car. Once the engine warms up, it is fine for the rest of the day.

Another question is the engine noise. Cant seem to differentiate direct engine from other noises. I just know it sounds like a diesel engine.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC W205
Wow blitzrn69 sorry to hear your list of issues!

I got a hand me down 2015 C300 4matic in January 2018. Been to the San Francisco dealer for recall for Starter Current Limiter, driver head rest locked, and GPS map update. They blew me off twice for fumes from engine coming into cabin.

Now the car is at the Walnut Creek dealer for wrist pin issue, fumes from engine coming into cabin, center console cigarette lighter intermittent goes on/off mostly off, and the HOLD function (brake) does not seem to work. I will ask them to change both my map pockets as well.

I'm getting as much things fixed/replaced under warranty then decide if I can live with it or trade it in. If trade will go back to Lexus with prior car near zero issues.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:05 PM

C300 4matic
Update:
got the car back. The changed the plastic piece they broke (the one that holding rhe air intake). They said everything is normal. They didnt detect any noise at all. There is still a delay on the eco start stop on first and 2nd stop light. I still have bumper to bumper until december. And my cpo warranty will kick in after that.
And the engine noise seems the same as the new ones. Just compared mine to it. Its the direct inject that is loud.

I noticed that rwd has more growl in the engine. And acceleration has the fast and furious effect compared to the 4matic.

After the wrist pin im still getting same mpg’s 32 highway interstate miles in flat florIda roads. And 24 on city. Comfort mode on both.

So far, everything is fixed now. Just hoping there’s no leaks in the glass installed.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
W205 C300 Sport Iridium Silver RWD
I’ve had virtually all of these issues. The noise on acceleration is the high pressure pump and mine was particularly loud after the wrist pin fix. Dealership has fixed all of the above and I plan to pick it up tomorrow from the acoustic glass replacement, door panel replacement to fix rattles from multiple attempts to correct speaker rattles, new high pressure pump and again, speaker rattle fix. What’s funny here is that they also broke my intake tube doing the wrist pin repair (carbon fiber aftermarket version) and refused to fix it...even now! Good luck brother!
Old 04-11-2018, 11:13 PM

C300 4matic
Engine noise must be high pressure pump, seem to go away when car warms up. On acceleration goes ticking sound goes faster too. Ill try the other dealer if the noise irritates me.

Old 04-12-2018, 11:47 AM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
W205 C300 Sport Iridium Silver RWD
Originally Posted by blitzrn69
Engine noise must be high pressure pump, seem to go away when car warms up. On acceleration goes ticking sound goes faster too. Ill try the other dealer if the noise irritates me.

Same Same...Sounds vaguely like supercharger whine...but no supercharger lol
Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
Originally Posted by blitzrn69
I have a question though fellow c300 owners. Is the delay on eco start/stop normal at all? Like i will come to a stop then there is delay like 3-5 seconds before the engine turns off? It only happens like 2-3 times every day when I start my say driving the car. Once the engine warms up, it is fine for the rest of the day.
The delay is normal. If conditions aren't right for the engine to switch off it won't.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:15 AM

C300 4matic
Thanks for the replies. Eveything seem ok for now. I just bought this car more 2 months ago. And its been in the service department for more than a month total.

I wish I can buy a sticker for the windshield (Carl Benz Signature) as I have an afternarket Fuyao windshield installed. Do dealers sell stickers like these for the windshield? Or I should just leave it alone for cleaner look?
Old 04-15-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Unhappy Not a bad 2015 C300, just a 2015 C300

Originally Posted by ionz13
Man you seem to have gotten a bad c300. I was in the same situation as you and also purchased a 2015 C300 CPO from Long beach in CA. I have only had the car about a month but dont seem to have a large list of problems as you do. I do notice your number five issue with the clicking noise from going from park to reverse/drive; and it's def not the emergency brake releasing. You could always use the car for the next two to three years and once the warranty is up, sell it.

Did they really replace the pocket behind the driver and passenger front seats?
ionz13 did NOT get a bad MY 2015 C300! Most owners did get a relatively good car. (Otherwise, you wouldn't have been able to get near a dealerships.) However, his car was definitely within the RANGE of normal. MB had to replace many cars. This is what I wrote in 11/15:

"I took my C300 4MATIC to the dealer today for five(!) small items, plus not satisfied with the way Steering Assist does not really follow the lanes or the car ahead. (A list will follow this more important discussion.)

"When I got home, i got a call from one of the service coordinators telling that when the mechanic drove the car to listen for the wind noise above the driver's window, he also the heard a ticking sound that I had been hearing for the last month. However, I had heard it only upon a cold start. I would hear it briefly while cruising or accelerating, but would go away when I was off the throttle. Then it seemed to go away. The mechanic heard it when the car was well warmed up. My C300 was delivered in the first week of 02/15, and it has 5,000 miles.

"The service coordinator said they will replace the connecting rods (!) and estimated it will take two weeks. [This was The Dreaded Wrist Pin Problem.] They will get the parts within 24 hours, and I assume they will start tearing down the engine engine without waiting for the parts. I had already read your posts, so i asked if the problem had anything to do with the wrist pins. He said it might, but he was not the mechanic.{I actually lost the use of the car for three weeks.]

In addition to the wind noise and the Steering Assist problem, the small problems I had included:
- gap in the molding between the top of the windshield and the headliner,
- gap in a molding on the front edge of the front door on the passenger side,
- gas filler flap sticks out at the top and has uneven gaps top and bottom, plus it tends to stick shut so that it takes multiple pokes to open,
- the sunglasses holder in the overhead console flops down, instead of gliding down smoothly.

"Before I took the car in to the dealer, I was thinking about what has often been said here at MBWorld, that MB had made a huge mistake by trying to produce a new model in a new factory (in a new country). However, this time I added to my thoughts an apprehension that MB was also introducing a new engine design (the turbo-charged four cylinder engine). Little did I know!

"This was not my first MB engine to have very basic problems. I ordered my W205 C300 in 10/14, and it was delivered in early 02/15. During that wait, I discovered that the V-6 engine in my 2007 C280 is included in the range of engines subject to The Dreaded M272 Balance Shaft Gear problem. That car was delivered (in Sindelfingen) in 09/06. I had thought that cars delivered that late were outside the range of affected cars. That engine is now the problem of the poor guy that got it after I traded it in.

"These problems (small as well as large, potential as well as actual) are filling the files of Consumer Reports. The resulting rows of black circles indicating "much worse" are reducing the resale value of my Mercedes (and yours). Until my C300 is sorted out, I will keep the treasured pictures of my first Mercedes in my Signature."

[Note added on 04/15/2018: The wind noise problem resulted in the installation of acoustic glass in the driver's window. A lot of owners got this. I did not have the common problems with the sunroof and sunshade (no sunroof) . I did not have the problems with the plasticizer oozing out of the MB-Tex seats. (I had leather.) There were a lot of these. My dealer, MB of Westwood (Mass.), was very professional and cooperative. The BAD news was that they did NOT lead me to believe in any way that my problems were unusual! I would like to think that my problems (and yours) were indeed unusual. Not so, at least for MY 2015 MBs.
Old 04-29-2018, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c200 w205
Just to share my experience. I bought a 1 year old certified mb vehicle. 2015 C200 w205 2L 135kw with 19800 kms and had the following problems:

1. Brake squeal when slightly pressing the brakes at low speed (1st week owned) - MB tried to clean and glaze the brake pads but noise still persist upon a few kms of use, and MB finally gave up. I have observed that squeal is gone when the car is newly washed. So I'm thinking its the brake dust that is causing it.
2. Touch pad not working (1st week owned) - Fixed by software reload under warranty
3. Sun roof right rubber seal got stuck upon opening and torn eventually (1st week owned) - Replaced sun roof rubber seal under warranty
4. Start/Stop feature stopped working (2nd year owned) - Replaced the starter internal battery under warranty
5. Rattle noise in front of the driver on idle (this is a right hand drive vehicle, 2nd year owned) - Brake hose touching the firewall. Rerouted hose and wrapped with insulation under warranty
6. Plastic panel cover inside the engine compartment just in front of the driver easily comes off (this is a right hand drive vehicle, 2nd year owned) - Replace and refit the cover under warranty.
7. Auxiliary Battery Malfunction (3rd year owned. Warranty finished 5 days ago) - Still waiting for serviced booked in 2 weeks.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c200 w205
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jvillao
Just to share my experience. I bought a 1 year old certified mb vehicle. 2015 C200 w205 2L 135kw with 19800 kms and had the following problems:

1. Brake squeal when slightly pressing the brakes at low speed (1st week owned) - MB tried to clean and glaze the brake pads but noise still persist upon a few kms of use, and MB finally gave up. I have observed that squeal is gone when the car is newly washed. So I'm thinking its the brake dust that is causing it.
2. Touch pad not working (1st week owned) - Fixed by software reload under warranty
3. Sun roof right rubber seal got stuck upon opening and torn eventually (1st week owned) - Replaced sun roof rubber seal under warranty
4. Start/Stop feature stopped working (2nd year owned) - Replaced the starter internal battery under warranty
5. Rattle noise in front of the driver on idle (this is a right hand drive vehicle, 2nd year owned) - Brake hose touching the firewall. Rerouted hose and wrapped with insulation under warranty
6. Plastic panel cover inside the engine compartment just in front of the driver easily comes off (this is a right hand drive vehicle, 2nd year owned) - Replace and refit the cover under warranty.
7. Auxiliary Battery Malfunction (3rd year owned. Warranty finished 5 days ago) - Still waiting for serviced booked in 2 weeks.
Got my auxiliary battery fixed under warranty. Thanks to Mercedes-Benz Australia!
Old 05-14-2018, 02:43 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 mercedes C300
You are too fussy to buy a used car, especially with 37K miles. Used car buyers would never worry about the problems you have had. they only worry that the didn't get the car cheap enough. Buy new and keep the car thru warranty.