C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Back Up Camera Kit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-06-2023, 07:11 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by samsi
do you have a picture of it ? Do you have to unplug the main harness and transfer it to the aftermarket harness ?
No pics and I don’t remember the install as it was almost 5 years ago. My issue was the 2 fiber optic wires were plugged into the wrong spot. I reversed them and the radio was working again.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 C43/ 2016 C450(RIP)
Originally Posted by cschwartz
I did the install after work one evening so I was on a limited timeframe and couldn't document everything. If you read through the other link I posted, that will get the center console and head unit out. From there, the kit includes instructions on how to connect the cables.

Routing the wire to the camera(s) is just a matter of common sense. That link shows you how to remove the cover under the glove box which will give you access to run the cable behind the carpet on the passenger side footwell. The door trim at the carpet in the front pops right up so that part is easy.

Door trim in the rear area was a little more stubborn but the wire is thin so it was easy to just pry it back and shove it under.

To fish it through to the trunk, I ran it up along the side of the passenger rear seat and used some fiberglass rods to push it through to the opening where the rear hinge is.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-16-i...kit-65326.html

For removing all of the push clips that hold the trunk lid liner on, I just used a small screwdriver to pry the clip up enough to get a pair for needle nose pliers under it and pry the clips out. I was able to reuse everything so if you take your time, you shouldn't damage anything...

Once the trunk lid liner is loose (8 clips), you need to disconnect the emergency release button wire and then you can set the whole thing to the side.

At this point you can see the original handle and the nuts that hold it in place. I think they were 10mm but they could have been 8. Either way, it's a common size... That trunk release also has a wire that needs to be disconnected.

This next part was the "trickiest" but it wasn't rocket science. It was getting late and I was on bourbon #3 so it took me a minute of prying around on things to figure it out...

Once you get the handle unbolted and the cable disconnected, you'll see that the handle won't just drop out of there. There's a long black plastic piece under the chrome strip that runs horizontally across the trunk lid. That needs to be removed to get the original handle out. I had to remove the license plate bracket to give it enough room to drop down. You'll see what I assume are some little vent holes to let water out. If you put a small screw driver in there and pry down, you'll get the black piece to pop loose which will let you pull the original handle completely out.

Once the handle is out, just unscrew the original trunk button and screw into the new handle with integrated camera and reverse the process. Use a couple of the supplied zip ties to secure the new camera cable to the existing cables that run to the passenger side trunk hinge. Route the camera cable out the back of the hinge and plug it in to the cable you fished through from the main unit. Plug it up, test, tape up the connection and put the rest of the trunk back together...

That's as detailed as I can get without tearing it all apart just to take pics. It's really not that hard and if you get stuck, you can probably find a video on youtube to show you the center console removal & tearing apart the trunk.

I'm from Louisiana and I was able to figure it out so pretty much anyone should be able to do this!
I know this is old but I need to replace my handle becasue the camera lid hatch is broken. I ordered the part I need, any suggestions? Do I need to remove the trunk liner to get to it?