C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Malfunctioning/broken panoramic sunroof

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 11:55 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c400
Malfunctioning/broken panoramic sunroof

Hello everyone.

So long story short, my 2015 C400 has been having some issues with the pano roof. One day, out of the blue, I tried to open the pano roof on a very hot day and it didn't want to open, as if it was glued onto something. After about 3 tries, it finally opened and the next day, I realized that the rear seal of the pano roof was hanging outside so I thought the seal was the issue and I didn't think too much of it other than to get that seal replaced. But ever since then, my pano roof won't close from time to time. It will try to close but it would reject it and open back up. Dropped it off to mercedes a few days later and the quote came out to about 3800, including taxes and labor. They told me that it needs new guide rail (the driver side broke, according to them), new motor (might as well, since they'll be taking the motor out in the process of the repair and that they said the motor took the extra stress since the guide rail broke), and the new seal. My car is currently at 64xxx miles with extra 2 year certified preowned warranty so I'm unfortunately out of warranty for that part, since that warranty is basically for powertrain.

What i've been noticing though, it seems like some of you also had the pano roof replaced under warranty due to other various reasons. Those of you who have gotten the pano roof replaced, can you please help me out? I feel like the pano roof is just bad quality since many of you had issues with them. Even my 30k 2012 kia didn't have ANY issues with the pano roof for those 3 years I've owned them (for 80k miles) and I used it so many more times than my current C400.

If you can please comment down below and explain what happend to yours, that would be awesome. I just want to see how many have had the same issue and see if MBUSA is willing to either cover this under warranty, since many people are having the same issue, or even try to help me out with this issue since paying 3800 bucks for a pano roof that's only 3 years old is ridiculous, imo.

Thanks in advance everyone!
Old 07-17-2018, 01:55 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
W205
I thought the cpo warranty would cover that?? Mine works fine, I noticed a lot grease was in it but I think the dealer did that for whatever reason. I had the seals replaced under warranty because they made too much noise, roof works fine.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300 2015 VW TDI Golf 2006 MINI S
Welcome to the club! I wish there was a sunroof delete option. You best bet is to never use it.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 PM

c400
Originally Posted by Cali4niadriver
I thought the cpo warranty would cover that?? Mine works fine, I noticed a lot grease was in it but I think the dealer did that for whatever reason. I had the seals replaced under warranty because they made too much noise, roof works fine.
According to them, it unfortunately doesn't. If i get the members who have had this issue comment on this thread and get an idea of how many were affected, I'm gona call MBUSA and just see if they can help me out with this issue.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:19 PM

c400
Originally Posted by Crankster
Welcome to the club! I wish there was a sunroof delete option. You best bet is to never use it.
man never ever thought I would have an issue with the pano roof imo. NEVER. But I guess german quality goes a long way some times lol
Old 12-31-2018, 02:36 PM

c400
Bump. Anyone??
Old 12-31-2018, 05:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure..... 1st - your dealer is a sh*thead... so let's move this forward where you can get it taken care of...

1st - with a copy of their Service Invoice - which also gives you your VIN# and current miles at time of service ... Weds morning call Mercedes Customer Care (800) 367-6372 - and with a Customer Service Agent - give them the "facts" - that you purchased a Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned - at time of purchase - at time of purchase you were told the Mercedes Certified pre-Owned Warranty covered all major systems on your Mercedes including Sunroof and Electronics - and now you are being told by this Mercedes dealer that the sunroof is not a CPO item - and tell Customer Service you expect Mercedes and your dealer to repair your sunroof at no charge.
The agent will take the info you give them - and open in Customer Service Case# - and give you that case# - and in turn that Case# will go to Mercedes Management and to the Service Management at that dealership for resolution.
There is internal MB/Dealer funds to take care of things like this - I expect that by opening the Case# you will have this taken care of.

Good luck - all to the good !
Old 01-01-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2018 E43 AMG
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Sure..... 1st - your dealer is a sh*thead... so let's move this forward where you can get it taken care of...

1st - with a copy of their Service Invoice - which also gives you your VIN# and current miles at time of service ... Weds morning call Mercedes Customer Care (800) 367-6372 - and with a Customer Service Agent - give them the "facts" - that you purchased a Mercedes Certified Pre-Owned - at time of purchase - at time of purchase you were told the Mercedes Certified pre-Owned Warranty covered all major systems on your Mercedes including Sunroof and Electronics - and now you are being told by this Mercedes dealer that the sunroof is not a CPO item - and tell Customer Service you expect Mercedes and your dealer to repair your sunroof at no charge.
The agent will take the info you give them - and open in Customer Service Case# - and give you that case# - and in turn that Case# will go to Mercedes Management and to the Service Management at that dealership for resolution.
There is internal MB/Dealer funds to take care of things like this - I expect that by opening the Case# you will have this taken care of.

This! I noticed on my car the front portion of my pano roof was delaminating. My local MB dealership told me it was an out of warranty item - so I figured I would just live with it. My car is a CPO 2015 C300 still under CPO warranty and at the time, still under new car warranty when I raised the pano roof issue. Well a few months later, I took my car to the original MB dealership I purchased it from which is a couple hours away to do Service A (had a free Service A as a customer goodwill). They noticed my driver door made a creak and ordered and replaced the hinge. Brought up the delaminating issue and they were as concerned about it as I was. They replaced the glass piece of the pano roof that was delaminating without any issues. This was several months ago. Crappy service and handling of what should be a warranty item at my local MB dealership, was very professionally taken care of at the dealership I purchased my car from. Highly recommend either calling MB Customer Care or going to a different dealership.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:51 PM

c400
Originally Posted by fabbrisd1

Thanks for your input.

The problem was that the dealer had raised the issue to the MB corporate, which they called me and said the same thing and only offered like 300 bucks discount. Maybe I will call them again and see if they are willing to do anything further than before.

Originally Posted by RunwayOneSix
This! I noticed on my car the front portion of my pano roof was delaminating. My local MB dealership told me it was an out of warranty item - so I figured I would just live with it. My car is a CPO 2015 C300 still under CPO warranty and at the time, still under new car warranty when I raised the pano roof issue. Well a few months later, I took my car to the original MB dealership I purchased it from which is a couple hours away to do Service A (had a free Service A as a customer goodwill). They noticed my driver door made a creak and ordered and replaced the hinge. Brought up the delaminating issue and they were as concerned about it as I was. They replaced the glass piece of the pano roof that was delaminating without any issues. This was several months ago. Crappy service and handling of what should be a warranty item at my local MB dealership, was very professionally taken care of at the dealership I purchased my car from. Highly recommend either calling MB Customer Care or going to a different dealership.
Good thing is I guess you were still under the warranty! Now i'm sitting at 82k miles so I'm loooong way past factory warranty lol