C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Question about the Park button - had a small scare today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 200 2016
Unhappy Question about the Park button - had a small scare today!

Hi All!

New member here, and this is my first Merc - C200 with AMG Kit, 2016.

Absolutely love this ride so sweet.

Today I had a scare, called a mechanic I know he said likely no issue but to be careful. So this is exactly what happened - I am paranoid a bit and would like your expert input as well please:

So I really dislike the Parking gear button and wish I didn't have to use it. So today I pulled out of a parking spot and was approaching a roundabout at maybe 5 Km per hour I think max. I wanted to wipe the windscreen with the wipers and pressed the P button by mistake while at that (low) speed. My foot was not on the gas at that exact moment when I pressed the Park button so nothing happened and I gave a little gas to go into the round about but the engine just revved a little - I guess maybe to 2k, and then I realized what happened and as a car was approaching me from behind fast, I took foot of the gas and put into Drive. There was a small jerk as it engaged into D (at this the revs might have been around 1K or less cant be 100% sure now), but it freaked me out. After that drove just fine. To note it was in Eco mode at the time.

Question is - have I risked damage to the transmission in this scenario?

Second question is - Why does Merc even have this feature where it locks into park if P is pressed at lower speeds, or even if a door is opened slightly at low speeds. Doesnt that damage the transmission? Cant understand why this have this feature, it should just say cannot engage in Park, car in motion??

Thanks guys! I really hope no damage was done and will be super careful now. Also is there any way to engage Park when parking after coming to a full stop without pressing that P button? I would prefer not to even touch that lever!

Nate

Last edited by steelgraybenz; 07-17-2018 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Mistake
Old 07-17-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
C400
Don’t touch the button I never do. Whenever you turn off the car it engages Park automatically.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:27 PM

C 200 2016
Thanks

Cool thx will test it out tomorrow

Do you think damage done by this incident? Driving fine but still ...
Old 07-17-2018, 06:12 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
C400
Originally Posted by steelgraybenz
Cool thx will test it out tomorrow

Do you think damage done by this incident? Driving fine but still ...
No. Sounds like it just went into Neutral when you pressed it, should be fine.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c400
If you didn't hear the parking gear clicking when you were rolling, you're fine, Just like sr5959 said, chances are, it was in neutral probably.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:16 PM

C 200 2016
Originally Posted by sr5959
No. Sounds like it just went into Neutral when you pressed it, should be fine.
hey sr5959 - thanks a bunch man appreciate you’re reply.

Just to elaborate further to your reply -

1. For sure there was no clicking noise when P was pressed and engines just revved up a bit - so likely it was in neutral as you say - I can’t recall if the dash letter said N or P now but no sound

2. What is your take about the latter part though - when I engaged into drive with engine revving slightly (foot was off the gas I think) and a slight jerk was felt as D gear got engaged I guess. Any possible lasting damage there?

Based on above should I take the car to the garage to get a quick computer check done on transmission to see if any codes come up? Or am I just being paranoid here?

thanks agajn really appreciate your time.

Worry wart Nate
Old 07-18-2018, 05:01 AM

C 200 2016

1. For sure there was no clicking noise when P was pressed and engines just revved up a bit - so likely it was in neutral as you say - I can’t recall if the dash letter said N or P now but no sound

2. What is your take about the latter part though - when I engaged into drive with engine revving slightly (foot was off the gas I think) and a slight jerk was felt as D gear got engaged I guess. Any possible lasting damage there?

Based on above should I take the car to the garage to get a quick computer check done on transmission to see if any codes come up? Or am I just being paranoid here?

Worry wart Nate
Just to update, spoke to a Benz mechanic. He said it happens frequently once with many people, but there are safeguards in the tranny to prevent real damage. If it's one off or only few times not a big deal as per him but better to be careful anyhow.

He also said that about the gear going into D while some revs were there and the jerk, again just to be careful in future and no damage done in all likelihood as an error message would come up.

Lesson learned.

On another note:

1. Benz says that the transmission fluid is only changed at 90,000 KM or 5 years?! Seems too long to me. How often do you guys change it on newer models?

2. Is it safe to change Modes (Like Comfort, Sport etc, if car is in motion), or should it be when car is fully stopped? Mechanic said its ok to change while driving, while at stop is ideal.

Cheers,
Nate
Old 07-18-2018, 02:06 PM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
2. Is it safe to change Modes (Like Comfort, Sport etc, if car is in motion), or should it be when car is fully stopped? Mechanic said its ok to change while driving, while at stop is ideal.
I do it every time I drive. Each time I start off, I shift into "i" for "Individual" mode. All the guys who absolutely hate the fact that the C300 always starts in "C" for "Comfort" always shift into their preferred mode while moving. You can tell that you're not moving any metal yourself. You're just changing the computer's ideas of when it should move metal.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe

Worry wart Nate
Paranoid, relax and enjoy the car.