C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Aftermarket Carplay/Mirrorlink box for W205

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by nevrozel
I see, I thought the box would be visible. If it is hidden that's fine by me. If it uses the OEM microphone, I believe that quality is exactly the same, can you confirm this?
Yeah it’s perfectly hidden and accessible if you ever need to swap that lightning cable (Apple) for a USB cable (Android), or vice versa. It’s also used as the firmware update port so the last thing you want is that burried behind your head unit. I pulled mine out (see pic below). You push it back up in an empty space there.

Even for EU delivery. contact sardincarusa@gmail.com. They can set up direct ship to EU via DHL.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:16 AM

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
2020 MB-AMG GLC43
Originally Posted by spyder2005
Update - June 2019

Wired -
New SardinCar module - "2019". Works with 360 degree camera now too.
PROs:
  • Easy install
  • Reliable connection
  • Has CarPlay and Android Auto
  • Good install instructions
  • Uses OEM microphone
  • Cheaper than wireless version
  • Default starts in MB menu

Works for 2015-2018 W205 models. Install is easy. Takes 1-2 hrs. Tools and detailed instructions are included for either if you contact the emails above. US resellers made their own instructions. Makes it easy. Good luck!
I am seriously looking at this now. Heavily leaning to wired for the mic, and connection consistency.
Any other CONS?
How do you see your climate control settings when in CarPlay?
Does anything happen on the screen when you make other changes such as moving to Sport+, or does this block everything?
The following users liked this post:
nevrozel (06-29-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by FastE
I am seriously looking at this now. Heavily leaning to wired for the mic, and connection consistency.
Any other CONS?
How do you see your climate control settings when in CarPlay?
Does anything happen on the screen when you make other changes such as moving to Sport+, or does this block everything?
My opinion:
The wired version is the winner here. As any old school guy will tell you "analog is better". In this case the wired version is just that. I still have the newer SardinCar module installed and it works great. The wired connection makes for an always-on connection. No Cons. It just works the way you expect it. It also has Android Auto in case you switch to the Dark Side. Also, if you resell your car in a few years and the car is affordable for youngsters you'll get at least half your money back. CarPlay and Android Auto is here to stay. They'll pay extra to have it.

No other Cons. It just works as intended. Climate Control buttons are still working when you press up and down. You just wont see what you set it to. If it matters to see it, simply press a button on steering wheel (phone hang up button) for 2 seconds and its back in OEM mode, where you see everything. Another 2 second press gets you right back to CarPlay. The music continues playing while you do all this. The Drive settings can also be changed. The changes for that can actually be seen in the instrument cluster, so you won't need the fancy visual on the screen.

Honestly, if you want CarPlay or Android Auto just get this thing. It's worth every penny. Since the actual hardware to run CarPlay isn't installed in W205 C-Class 2015-2017 (and even some 2018's) Mercedes will never upgrade your car to have it.

sardincarusa@gmail.com - send your VIN so the compatibility can be checked.

Last edited by spyder2005; 07-02-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:48 PM

w205 C43
For those that have the solution sold by sardincarusa@gmail.com

I'm interested in this but want to be cable-free. But I am wondering if it is a reliable setup. Obviously wired should be stable. But would the wireless version be problematic in connectivity to the carplay module?

I'm used to streaming via bluetooth from my iPhone to the HU so am aware of the sound quality difference. Just wanted a wireless solution for the convenience. But if it's not reliable, such as full of connectivity glitches, i guess i'll pass on it.

Regarding the "wired" version:
- does it use it's own cable, or can I use the OEM white Apple lightning to USB cable?
- is it possible to route the cable to the cup holder/ashtray space under the center console sliding door without modifying or cutting?

How easy/hard is the install? Can anyone share the actual 17 page install instructions? Would love to preview it to understand what is involved before making a decision. Thanks!

Last edited by b_west; 07-07-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W213 E220D -17
Originally Posted by b_west
For those that have the solution sold by sardincarusa@gmail.com,

I'm interested in this but want to be cable-free. But I am wondering if it is a reliable setup. Obviously wired should be stable. But would the wireless version be problematic in connectivity to the carplay module?

I'm used to streaming via bluetooth from my iPhone to the HU so am aware of the sound quality difference. Just wanted a wireless solution for the convenience. But if it's not reliable, such as full of connectivity glitches, i guess i'll pass on it.

- does it use it's own cable, or can I use the OEM white Apple lightning to USB cable?
- is it possible to route the cable to the cup holder/ashtray space under the center console sliding door without modifying or cutting?

How easy/hard is the install? Can anyone share the actual 17 page install instructions? Would love to preview it to understand what is involved before making a decision. Thanks!
If the wired version is the "stable" one I would stay well away from the wireless. There is quite a few glitches present with the wired version, and no support at all from Sardincar.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:17 PM

w205 C43
Originally Posted by davkar
If the wired version is the "stable" one I would stay well away from the wireless. There is quite a few glitches present with the wired version, and no support at all from Sardincar.
Can you please elaborate on what these glitches are?

Is there no warranty or post sales support?

i read earlier on in the thread that a lot of glitches were fixed with an iOS update, assuming you are using an iPhone.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C Class W205 (2015)
I am also following this closely and would like to know the downsides of the Sardincar 2019 wired version, if any.
Old 07-07-2019, 04:33 PM

W213 E220D -17
Can you please elaborate on what these glitches are?

Is there no warranty or post sales support?

i read earlier on in the thread that a lot of glitches were fixed with an iOS update, assuming you are using an iPhone.
Sorry if I was a bit unclear. I use Android Auto, and not Carplay - perhaps CarPlay is more stable? The glitches concern mainly infinite loops, where the unit looses the connection to the phone and keeps restarting. Sometimes it gets solved by reconnecting the cable, but more often than not it only gets solved once the car has been shut down and the power is completely cut.

I had a lot of issues initially and got a couple of new units since the first two where faulty. For the last unit I got a new firmware, that solved some issues, but obviously not all. Initially they answered email and where reasonably helpful, but lately the only response I get is that the responsible ones for my issues are the factory that make the boxes. The Sardincar representative provided me with a link to some sketchy Ebay shop and then went radio silence..
netboy (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:37 PM

C Class W205 (2015)
I guess we all take some risks when purchasing these kind of chinese boxes after all. It's not like these are OEM retrofits so we could go to our local MB representative and take it to them. It could be that CarPlay is more stable as these are two different operating systems.

Does Sardincar regularly release firmware updates or they send you a newer one only if you have issues and ask them? Do they have a website where you can check for newer firmware versions?
Old 07-07-2019, 05:00 PM

W213 E220D -17
I guess we all take some risks when purchasing these kind of chinese boxes after all. It's not like these are OEM retrofits so we could go to our local MB representative and take it to them. It could be that CarPlay is more stable as these are two different operating systems.

Does Sardincar regularly release firmware updates or they send you a newer one only if you have issues and ask them? Do they have a website where you can check for newer firmware versions?
Yes, it is a risk with these boxes, but I wanted to give a heads up if someone thinks they will get an OEM experience. When it works I'm happy with the solution for what it is, but after few reconnections in a row I'm prepared to toss it out.

I got the firmware update in a mail with a very rudimentary instruction.
netboy (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 05:20 PM

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
i scheduled to install OEM carplay/ android auto next month, Aug 15 by someone. can't comment yet until my OEM unit is installed.

Last edited by netboy; 07-07-2019 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2018 C300 Coupe Designo
Will this work on a 2018 C300 with COMMAND 8.4?
Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 PM

2015 C63S
contact US rep for copy of install instructions.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:47 AM

For those that have the solution sold by sardincarusa@gmail.com,

Q: does it use it's own cable, or can I use the OEM white Apple lightning to USB cable?
A: You just use an OEM Apple cable

Q: is it possible to route the cable to the cup holder/ashtray space under the center console sliding door without modifying or cutting?
A:
1. There is a hole below ash tray that you can use
2. You can feed it out below the screen (hidden)
3. You can feed it out on the side and tuck it into the trim gap whenever not in use. It fits snug and stays put (hidden)

Q: Can anyone share the actual 17 page install instructions?
A: Email sardincarusa@gmail.com for that
Old 07-20-2019, 08:52 AM

None of the CarPlay kits are glitch-free. That's because CarPlay itself has glitches. Ask anyone with an OEM CarPlay system. They'll tell you there are issues. It is important to understand that the computational part happens on the phones. The boxes relay the input to the screen. Now there are boxes that had relay issues, for example "Carlinkit" (prev sold by SardinCar but removed), but the newer versions from JoyEAuto and SardinCar are improved well beyond the baby steps from 1-3 years ago. Whatever you do, don't buy bthe Carlinkit ones. They are garbage at best. Makes for a good paper weight. I'd still buy my wired SardinCar kit again any day.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:03 AM

Sorry if I was a bit unclear. I use Android Auto, and not Carplay - perhaps CarPlay is more stable? The glitches concern mainly infinite loops, where the unit loses the connection to the phone and keeps restarting. Sometimes it gets solved by reconnecting the cable, but more often than not it only gets solved once the car has been shut down and the power is completely cut.

I had a lot of issues initially and got a couple of new units since the first two where faulty. For the last unit I got a new firmware, that solved some issues, but obviously not all. Initially they answered email and where reasonably helpful, but lately the only response I get is that the responsible ones for my issues are the factory that make the boxes. The Sardincar representative provided me with a link to some sketchy Ebay shop and then went radio silence..
I purchased a 1.Generation SardinCar box and was extremely unhappy, but the 2nd Gen box is the winner - it's what they wanted to deliver in the first place, I would think - it's the winner.

I know SardinCar dealt with Carlinkit on their first round of products. They made them, SardinCar sold them. Tons of issues. They cut SardinCar off from my understanding so they were left to scramble for their own answers. I know, because I had one of the 1st Gen boxes. They were terrible. A lot of faith in the brand was lost with that at the time, but at least they were smart enough to leave Carlinkit behind them for lack of support. SardinCar works with a new manufacturer now though and the wired box is solid. They look completely different now. I'm finally happy and can only encourage a leap of faith on the newer boxes.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:08 AM

I am also following this closely and would like to know the downsides of the Sardincar 2019 wired version, if any.
Q: I am also following this closely and would like to know the downsides of the Sardincar 2019 wired version, if any.
A: I have one. They only negative i noticed (w/ 8.4" Comand system) is that when you answer a call you should do it on the phone not by pressing the accept call button on the steering wheel. For some reason it drops the call instead of answering. Makes sure you connect the phone, before starting your ignition. The positives here outweigh the negatives. Its always connected. No loss of signal (wired), and works without freezing. Works as intended.

Q: Does Sardincar regularly release firmware updates or they send you a newer one only if you have issues and ask them? Do they have a website where you can check for newer firmware versions?
A: It is possible. There is a built-in update function, but given how well it works there barely has been a need to update.
Old 07-20-2019, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by cphil19
Will this work on a 2018 C300 with COMMAND 8.4?
Should, yes, just send your VIN to sardincarusa@gmail.com and you will get an answer, asap.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:21 AM

W213 E220D -17
I purchased a 1.Generation SardinCar box and was extremely unhappy, but the 2nd Gen box is the winner - it's what they wanted to deliver in the first place, I would think - it's the winner.

I know SardinCar dealt with Carlinkit on their first round of products. They made them, SardinCar sold them. Tons of issues. They cut SardinCar off from my understanding so they were left to scramble for their own answers. I know, because I had one of the 1st Gen boxes. They were terrible. A lot of faith in the brand was lost with that at the time, but at least they were smart enough to leave Carlinkit behind them for lack of support. SardinCar works with a new manufacturer now though and the wired box is solid. They look completely different now. I'm finally happy and can only encourage a leap of faith on the newer boxes.
That's all fine and well. But Sardincar is the one I dealt with. And if they sold me garbage, and doesn't address the issues with their product, I still feel they could handle things diffetent. Perhaps a discount on the gen2 for instance?
Old 08-05-2019, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C Coupé w205
Originally Posted by sardincar
For the car with Command Online (8.4'' original screen), need to check if the car has this AUX menu, if can not find it, need to ask the dealers or Mercedes service/retrofitting shop to unlock this menu, as our 8.4'' device sound comes our through original AUX, after install the device, need to choose this AUX to get sound, otherwise the Carplay/Android Auto/Mirrorlink will not have sound.
I have the 8.4 inch Comand System and need to activate AUX. I looked for several options on the internet. Why are they all so expensive? The were all around 200$ for an obd plug, that activated the AUX-functionality?! Isn't there a cheaper way?
Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by dekon
I have the 8.4 inch Comand System and need to activate AUX. I looked for several options on the internet. Why are they all so expensive? The were all around 200$ for an obd plug, that activated the AUX-functionality?! Isn't there a cheaper way?
I know sardincarusa@gmail.com sold those ~$85 with the CarPlay kits. I'm sure you can just buy the OBD plug from him. Just email.
Old 08-17-2019, 10:40 AM

That's all fine and well. But Sardincar is the one I dealt with. And if they sold me garbage, and doesn't address the issues with their product, I still feel they could handle things diffetent. Perhaps a discount on the gen2 for instance?
Contact their US dealer. Sardincarusa@gmail.com. Maybe he can broker a deal with them. You never know ....
Old 08-17-2019, 12:26 PM

C Class W205 (2015)
I know sardincarusa@gmail.com sold those ~$85 with the CarPlay kits. I'm sure you can just buy the OBD plug from him. Just email.
I can confirm that, talk with him about the OBD dongle.
Old 08-19-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C43 AMG
Update - June 2019

Wired -
New SardinCar module - "2019". Works with 360 degree camera now too.
PROs:
  • Easy install
  • Reliable connection
  • Has CarPlay and Android Auto
  • Uses OEM microphone
  • Cheaper than wireless version
  • Default starts in MB menu

Wireless - contact - djfrestyler@aol.com

PROs
  • No need for wired connection
  • Fast charge w/10W+W charger + USB-C-Lightning cable

CONs
  • Occasionally loses connection
  • Have to install an extra microphone
  • More expensive than wired version
  • No Android Auto - only mirroring
  • Have to install an external microphone

Works for 2015-2018 W205 models. Install is easy. Takes 1-2 hrs. Tools and detailed instructions are included for either if you contact the emails above. US resellers made their own instructions. Makes it easy. Good luck!
I contacted Ben at SardinCar and he said all options require the use of an external microphone that’s included for use of Siri. Where are you getting the OEM mic thing?
Old 08-20-2019, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by zerotide
I contacted Ben at SardinCar and he said all options require the use of an external microphone that’s included for use of Siri. Where are you getting the OEM mic thing?
Actually you are right. I don't use the voice stuff too often. Some things such as voice spelling in certain apps doesn't work. After I hooked up the external mic, it did. I was under the impression that it worked fine without because i was able to place phone calls on Bluetooth media setting without needing that mic. So from the kits ive seen and tested all of them need an external mic. I neatly tucked it behind the screen though, so its not a bother at all. Can't see it and install took like 15 min. Easy. Thanks for pointing that out!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Carplay/Mirrorlink box for W205