C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2017 C300 AC Mold Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300
2017 C300 AC Mold Fix

The 2017 C300 is the first Mercedes we purchased, but unfortunately may be our last. Over the 1.5 years of ownership, we have received 3 recall notices and experienced a complete electrical power failure forcing us to stall in the middle of the road. The issue was fixed by the dealership and a shorted fuse in the right rear-view mirror was to blame (I didn't understand the explanation, but it seems rather catastrophic for a real-view mirror). We were not reimbursed for towing expenses.

For the past 8 months, we have been experiencing an extreme mold and vinegar smell coming from the AC. The service advisor was very upfront and honest about the issue, claiming there is no long term fix. She offered a $500 flush and air filter replacement, but advised against it as the smell will "definitely come back".

On my own, I have tried running the heat at maximum for long durations to "bake the evaporator" as well as spray Lysol into the air intake ducts:

For both, the mold smell came back within a day or two.

Recently, I saw a video where the owner sprayed product directly on the evaporator via the interior cabin filter duct:

My questions are the following:

1. Is this a good idea? The service advisor strongly recommended that I do not try to resolve the issue myself as it would void the warranty.
2. I've found multiple videos on how to replace the cabin air filter for W204. I haven't found any guide on how to remove the plate under the glove compartment on a W205. Instead of 3 screws, I see a single screw and some clips that I don't know how to remove.
3. Once I remove the plate under the glove compartment, can I access the evaporator in the same way as the 2012 Mercedes E350?

Any help on this matter is appreciated. If nothing can be done, I will likely replace the vehicle this coming labor day as I cannot stand much more of the heat without air conditioning. Thanks for your time!
Old 08-16-2018, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by GeminiSky
The 2017 C300 is the first Mercedes we purchased, but unfortunately may be our last. Over the 1.5 years of ownership, we have received 3 recall notices and experienced a complete electrical power failure forcing us to stall in the middle of the road. The issue was fixed by the dealership and a shorted fuse in the right rear-view mirror was to blame (I didn't understand the explanation, but it seems rather catastrophic for a real-view mirror). We were not reimbursed for towing expenses.

For the past 8 months, we have been experiencing an extreme mold and vinegar smell coming from the AC. The service advisor was very upfront and honest about the issue, claiming there is no long term fix. She offered a $500 flush and air filter replacement, but advised against it as the smell will "definitely come back".

On my own, I have tried running the heat at maximum for long durations to "bake the evaporator" as well as spray Lysol into the air intake ducts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrVc_FXrbHY&vl=en

For both, the mold smell came back within a day or two.

Recently, I saw a video where the owner sprayed product directly on the evaporator via the interior cabin filter duct:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWmODSQozyg

My questions are the following:

1. Is this a good idea? The service advisor strongly recommended that I do not try to resolve the issue myself as it would void the warranty.
2. I've found multiple videos on how to replace the cabin air filter for W204. I haven't found any guide on how to remove the plate under the glove compartment on a W205. Instead of 3 screws, I see a single screw and some clips that I don't know how to remove.
3. Once I remove the plate under the glove compartment, can I access the evaporator in the same way as the 2012 Mercedes E350?

Any help on this matter is appreciated. If nothing can be done, I will likely replace the vehicle this coming labor day as I cannot stand much more of the heat without air conditioning. Thanks for your time!

Take it to another shop. This should be a straightforward repair. The condensation drainage is plugged. The obstruction needs to be cleared and the air ducts need to be treated with a proper cleaning agent to kill the mildew.
Old 08-17-2018, 02:40 PM

C300
Thank you! I will reach out to some shops this weekend for a quote.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Take it to another shop. This should be a straightforward repair. The condensation drainage is plugged. The obstruction needs to be cleared and the air ducts need to be treated with a proper cleaning agent to kill the mildew.
@Mr J where is The condensation drainage? thanks
Old 11-03-2019, 05:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300
@GeminiSky where you able to fix the issue?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:05 PM

C300
Unfortunately, no. After asking a few shops, none provided a satisfying long-term solution that did not void warranty. I ended up selling the vehicle as I did not want to waste additional time on this matter.
Old 11-04-2019, 12:56 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC / 2017 C43 AMG
... In other news, the smell can be removed by setting the A/C system to Auto. Had this issue on one of our two C classes, SA instructed us to set the system to auto at the desired temperature... Smell was gone within the day and, since we now leave the system on Auto, it has not returned. I love this necro thread, though, and I appreciate the update.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz C300 AMG-Sport Package
I actually made a youtube video on this exact issue.
All you need is a new cabin air filter and this Evaporator and Heater cleaner total ~$40 USD. Really easy to do. It does really suck that this is only a 'temporary' fix but I did this in March and its November now and no foul smell since.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
I like this post a LOT... because it is a factual solution..." In other news, the smell can be removed by setting the A/C system to Auto. Had this issue on one of our two C classes, SA instructed us to set the system to auto at the desired temperature... Smell was gone within the day and, since we now leave the system on Auto, it has not returned.

If you have a severe case... close the windows and run Full Heat with your MB on idle about 20-30 minutes to bake-it 1st...

When someone over uses manual.. it will "frost up" the evaporator and when you stop/park and leave the car that frost melts leaving the evap box too-damp/moist and makes it a "grow box" for those musty creatures