C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Potentially buying my first MB, a 2015 C300 and I have some questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Potentially buying my first MB, a 2015 C300 and I have some questions

Hey all, I'm a Canadian and have been eyeing some 2015 C300's recently and have found a local one and we have agreed on 28k CAD if the inspection doesn't come with any problems, with him including a CarProof and inspection. Has only been in one accident where headlights and bumper was removed and replaced by a Mercedes dealership. It comes with every option available, with a AMG style grille, carbon fiber lip and mirror caps, heads up display, collision prevention and illuminated star, etc. (I haven't seen many 2015 C300's that I've looked with Heads up display so that's cool). It has 55k kms and they had replaced the brake pads and rotors last year. It comes with prepaid maintenance until April 2018 and was wondering if I was getting a good deal. On top of the that, I have never owned a MB before and was wondering how much maintenance I should expect to spend on annually and what are the main components that would need replacing/check ups or have possibility of needing repairs. I'm also not that car savvy so I don't really know much about the parts that need maintenance, I literally only know brake pads, oil change, spark plugs? What else is there that I should account for, especially on this car?

In addition, for the inspection, what should I look for if it has no problems? Would the inspection report any potential problems that may occur soon? Something almost wearing out or something? I just don't want to buy it right away and a month or two down the road have to pay for repairs out of my own pocket. If there was something potentially needed to be repaired when the inspection was complete, I would use that as a negotiating tactic to bring the price down a bit. Anyways.. I guess my main question is for the inspection, would an inspection that comes "clean" be fine to purchase for agreed price? Or could they possibly miss something and I'd have to repair it for a couple thousand within a few months? We are planning to get an inspection at a Mercedes dealership if it matters.

*I've looked at some other C300's that had aftermarket door illuminators that had the MB logo shine on the ground when you opened the door, where and how much would this cost to add?

** He claimed it came with every option possible at the time he purchased and said there wasn't a C300 in Canada with Distronic Plus, so he wasn't allowed to get it, I was wondering, where could I check a website or something of an absolutely maxed out 2015 C300 with every possible feature? Have been trying to search around but have had no luck.

Thank you for reading and I'm super excited on potentially joining the MB squad!
Old 09-18-2018, 07:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I have owned two 2015 C300's. The first was essentially bought back by MB as it approached Lemon Law status, the second one I still own. I really like the car ... it is stylish, quick, economical, handles well, and has a beautiful and comfortable interior. It is also one of the most trouble prone cars I've ever owned. Without going into an extensive list of repaired or replaced items over years of dealer visits, I would caution you against buying any 2015 C Class without a complete service record. The W205 got better with every model year, 2015 being the worst. As good as it is, reliability is not one of its strong points.
Old 09-18-2018, 08:43 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
C63S, Gallardo
My 2015 C300 has been a great car, no issues.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 E250 BT 4M
MY2015 C300

I would concur with StanNH. Avoid MY2015 if possible. The first model year of the W205 built in Alabama was fraught with gremlins. One only need to take a look at the ill fitting tail lights, which were present on many 2015s. Then there was the bleeding and oozing Artico leatherette upholstery that occurred during spells of sub-zero temperatures. If your budget can stretch, look for a MY2016 or even a MY2017. Avoid also cars that have accident declarations, even if its only "headlights and bumper", which equates to several $1000s of damage.

If you are determined to buy a MY2015 C300, try to find one that is 'Certified' by a MB dealer. You could use the www.mercedes-benz.ca website to search for 'pre-owned' inventory across Canada.

Last edited by DerekACS; 09-18-2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:29 PM

C-Class C300 W205
Don’t get it

i have one, especially since you’re in Canada, a remote start is something you would want and there is no way to install one in the 2015 model. Other than that I’ve had no problems.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:12 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by StanNH
I have owned two 2015 C300's. The first was essentially bought back by MB as it approached Lemon Law status, the second one I still own. I really like the car ... it is stylish, quick, economical, handles well, and has a beautiful and comfortable interior. It is also one of the most trouble prone cars I've ever owned. Without going into an extensive list of repaired or replaced items over years of dealer visits, I would caution you against buying any 2015 C Class without a complete service record. The W205 got better with every model year, 2015 being the worst. As good as it is, reliability is not one of its strong points.
Thanks for your input, I was leaning towards the 2015's because it was the oldest W205 (which would ought to be cheaper lol) and interior/exterior wise along with features be almost similar to the newer models. How many problems have you encountered with your current 2015 C300 so far? Getting mixed results and have me questioning lol
Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 PM

2015 C300
Originally Posted by DerekACS
I would concur with StanNH. Avoid MY2015 if possible. The first model year of the W205 built in Alabama was fraught with gremlins. One only need to take a look at the ill fitting tail lights, which were present on many 2015s. Then there was the bleeding and oozing Artico leatherette upholstery that occurred during spells of sub-zero temperatures. If your budget can stretch, look for a MY2016 or even a MY2017. Avoid also cars that have accident declarations, even if its only "headlights and bumper", which equates to several $1000s of damage.

If you are determined to buy a MY2015 C300, try to find one that is 'Certified' by a MB dealer. You could use the www.mercedes-benz.ca website to search for 'pre-owned' inventory across Canada.
I can't really tell if you're serious or not because I don't understand much of what you're saying haha.. Have looked at some of the CPO's from the MB website but they're mainly hovering around 33k+ even for the base models with little to no features, even for the 2015 models.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Originally Posted by beaut
Thanks for your input, I was leaning towards the 2015's because it was the oldest W205 (which would ought to be cheaper lol) and interior/exterior wise along with features be almost similar to the newer models. How many problems have you encountered with your current 2015 C300 so far? Getting mixed results and have me questioning lol
My first one had the “bleeding” MBTex seats, which had to be reupholstered ... among many other recalls and service bulletins. My newer 2015 has been better, but still had issues with the open/close touch door feature, a crankshaft seal leak, a defective air intake line, the wrist pin issue and engine rebuild, intermittent door handle lights, and misaligned rear bumper. I also had the dealer install laminated side windows and seals to eliminate wind noise.

Again, this is a really well done compact sedan. Would I buy another Mercedes? Very, very unlikely.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:03 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC / 2017 C43 AMG
My 2015 c300 has been excellent (I came from a w212 e350). That said, I personally would not purchase one that has been in an accident. I bet that with proper research you would be able to find the perfect, accident-free car that meets all of your requirements. Edit: cpo is a must; benefits vastly outweigh the marginal increase in cost