C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Alignment after new tires?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 02:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C300 W205
Alignment after new tires?

Hi All,

Just replaced all four tires from the stock runflats to Michelin Pilot AS 3+ at 30k miles. The dealer noticed the alignment was off about 5k miles ago and the front passenger tire was the only one that was badly worn. The dealer ended up throwing in an alignment while they were addressing the wrist pin issue.

Should I be getting another alignment with the new tires? I definitely want to maintain the life of these new tires.

Old 09-22-2018, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by Fshin88
Hi All,

Just replaced all four tires from the stock runflats to Michelin Pilot AS 3+ at 30k miles. The dealer noticed the alignment was off about 5k miles ago and the front passenger tire was the only one that was badly worn. The dealer ended up throwing in an alignment while they were addressing the wrist pin issue.

Should I be getting another alignment with the new tires? I definitely want to maintain the life of these new tires.

not unless the car is pulling left or right
Old 09-22-2018, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Sure - a alignment ALWAYS makes sense to me - so that I maximize the usable life of a significant tire investment such as Mich AS Sport+ - and for me I have dealer alignment only - if something turns out "badly" down the road 1K-2K miles on a dealer alignment I can always b*tch with dealer - for me it's waste of my time and my money to have done at a independent since if anything turns out "badly" 1K/2K down the road a independent could care less...
Old 09-22-2018, 07:22 PM

2015 C300 W205
Originally Posted by Mikey53

what’s odd is that when the front passenger tire was completely wore due to the car being out of alignment, the car never pulled left or right at that time either...
Old 09-22-2018, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Mikey53

This common knowledge is just wrong nowadays. Most "pulling" is either a tire pull or other non-alignment issues. If the steering wheel is off-center, which is more common, then the toe settings can be off. But most alignment settings are to prevent tire wear issues. We can only adjust toe on most platforms now. Pulling from alignment is a Caster adjustment which isn't possible from stock and not needed unless the car has been wrecked or something.

Originally Posted by fabbrisd1
Sure - a alignment ALWAYS makes sense to me - so that I maximize the usable life of a significant tire investment such as Mich AS Sport+ - and for me I have dealer alignment only - if something turns out "badly" down the road 1K-2K miles on a dealer alignment I can always b*tch with dealer - for me it's waste of my time and my money to have done at a independent since if anything turns out "badly" 1K/2K down the road a independent could care less...
The quality of the alignment matters more on who is actually doing it. Out of the 20 guys at the shop who can do alignments, only a few actually take the time to it right and really care. Most people, it's just make it green and let it go. I took my time and did great alignments even when I worked at Firestone, but that's not the case with most people sadly.

what’s odd is that when the front passenger tire was completely wore due to the car being out of alignment, the car never pulled left or right at that time either...
As above, tire wear is the normal issue and sign that alignment is out, pulling doesn't have to be present for excessive tire wear to happen. That's normally why I recommend an alignment, when I see tires wearing unevenly.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:32 PM

2015 C300 W205
Originally Posted by ItalianJoe1
This common knowledge is just wrong nowadays. Most "pulling" is either a tire pull or other non-alignment issues. If the steering wheel is off-center, which is more common, then the toe settings can be off. But most alignment settings are to prevent tire wear issues. We can only adjust toe on most platforms now. Pulling from alignment is a Caster adjustment which isn't possible from stock and not needed unless the car has been wrecked or something.

The quality of the alignment matters more on who is actually doing it. Out of the 20 guys at the shop who can do alignments, only a few actually take the time to it right and really care. Most people, it's just make it green and let it go. I took my time and did great alignments even when I worked at Firestone, but that's not the case with most people sadly.

As above, tire wear is the normal issue and sign that alignment is out, pulling doesn't have to be present for excessive tire wear to happen. That's normally why I recommend an alignment, when I see tires wearing unevenly.
Thanks ItalianJoe, appreciate the detailed description.

Do you think it is worth getting an alignment now that I’ve switched out the tires? Does it not make any difference that the dealer completed an alignment about 5k miles ago once they noticed the abnormal wear?
Old 09-23-2018, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600

Thanks ItalianJoe, appreciate the detailed description.

Do you think it is worth getting an alignment now that I’ve switched out the tires? Does it not make any difference that the dealer completed an alignment about 5k miles ago once they noticed the abnormal wear?
Assuming your alignment was good before changing tires, then it will still be good now. If you had it done recently and the wear was ok, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the new tires for 3-5k miles, if you see any feathering or wear on the corners of the tread blocks starting, then have it checked again. The tire change won't actually change anything about the alignment settings, but some tires are more or less sensitive to the early wear from poor alignment angles.