C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

HALOGEN TO LED UPGRADE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 12:16 AM

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
HALOGEN TO LED UPGRADE

I had factory HALOGENS and UPGRADED to LED's on my W205 2016 C300 4Matic.
I found them on Amazon and they're from China. It's a new store and with no reviews. I was so skeptical about placing the order that I called Discover Card before I did anything and asked them if I was covered if this turned out be a scam. They said that I was covered so I placed the order. Well I'm very happy to say that they are exactly as advertised! They are Plug and Play. No modifications to the wiring harness, just unplug the old headlight and plug in the new one, and NO error codes! All 3 modules are included. Daytime Running Lights.
From what I've read on here is that one of the reasons MB headlights fail is due to water getting behind the modules and rusting out the wiring so I unscrewed all 3 modules to have a look as to why this was happening and noticed there is a rubber seal that the module presses into to create the water tight seal...well I'm glad that I did because I can easily see how these can fail so as a preventive measure I applied a liberal coating of RTV Silicone around the base and reinstalled the modules before installing them into the car.
Night and Day difference to the look of the car!!!
Go To Amazon and type in JGRT_CarLight and scroll down until you find "2pc Headlight assembly for Mercedes Benz C Class W205 2015 2016 2017 2018" . Cost is $1580.00

Old Halogens

New LED's
The following 2 users liked this post by Trappers101:
benzdude (03-21-2019), MrVeeOnline (05-27-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 02:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 164 Likes on 149 Posts
99 E320
it is exceedingly difficult to have an LED perform well as a drop-in into a reflector based headlight.
so though your photo is nice, more important is how the beam now projects onto the pavement.
also, take a photo of the beam against a clean wall about 25' away to gauge cutoff, hot/cold spots
and glare.
Old 03-09-2019, 05:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203
Originally Posted by raymond g-
it is exceedingly difficult to have an LED perform well as a drop-in into a reflector based headlight.
so though your photo is nice, more important is how the beam now projects onto the pavement.
also, take a photo of the beam against a clean wall about 25' away to gauge cutoff, hot/cold spots
and glare.
This is a headlight kit not just the leds it's all whole unit recreated/modified to replace the halogen headlights
Also CrazyTheGod is also selling aftermarket PNP led headlight for the halogen fitted W205, but nice find none the less,
OP do they work exactly like the OE Leds?
Old 03-09-2019, 07:20 AM

2016 C300 4matic
I had LED headlights in my first C300 and these look and preform just like those did.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:42 AM

2016 C300 4matic
Don't have to remove the bumper but you do have to loosen it up. Check out the other post on here that has photos of how to do that.
Modules are pretty straight forward as there are only 4 screws on the first unit, 4 screws on the 2nd unit, 3 screws on the 3rd unit.
As for where to apply the Silicon.
Where the metal contacts the rubber is where the seal is created. I applied a thick bead right there. Once you take the module off and look at how it goes together you'll clearly see whats going on and why I did this.
The following users liked this post:
BareQs (03-27-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 07:11 PM

2016 C300 4matic
Nope In Dearborn outside of Detroit.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 444 Likes on 344 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Nice.
Trappers101 (03-26-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 03:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
Hey Trapper, I believe I bought the same ones you bought. I unfortunately got an error code from a right sidemarker light and now the DRL eyebrow on that side won’t turn off at all. Have you had any similar issues? I just barely installed them yesterday, and they worked fine for about an hour, then the code popped up the second time I went for a drive. The headlight selector knob is on Auto, and I also tried the other selections, to no avail.
Old 03-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by Trappers101
I had factory HALOGENS and UPGRADED to LED's on my W205 2016 C300 4Matic.
I found them on Amazon and they're from China. It's a new store and with no reviews. I was so skeptical about placing the order that I called Discover Card before I did anything and asked them if I was covered if this turned out be a scam. They said that I was covered so I placed the order. Well I'm very happy to say that they are exactly as advertised! They are Plug and Play. No modifications to the wiring harness, just unplug the old headlight and plug in the new one, and NO error codes! All 3 modules are included. Daytime Running Lights.
From what I've read on here is that one of the reasons MB headlights fail is due to water getting behind the modules and rusting out the wiring so I unscrewed all 3 modules to have a look as to why this was happening and noticed there is a rubber seal that the module presses into to create the water tight seal...well I'm glad that I did because I can easily see how these can fail so as a preventive measure I applied a liberal coating of RTV Silicone around the base and reinstalled the modules before installing them into the car.
Night and Day difference to the look of the car!!!
Go To Amazon and type in JGRT_CarLight and scroll down until you find "2pc Headlight assembly for Mercedes Benz C Class W205 2015 2016 2017 2018" . Cost is $1580.00

Old Halogens

New LED's
how long since you had these ?

1. have you had any issues yet ?
2. do you have more pictures of the process while you were installing these ?
3. could you post the link for your LED star grill too ? the end result is not like the one that i'm seeing on some led star grill that i'm seeing on ebay and is looking great on your car.

In the end, kudos to what you did with your car. This is coming from a guy who made the same mistakes while getting his c300 4matic 2017 and have no knowledge of installing stuff like this. So providing extensive details is highly appreciated. P.S. I live out here in Alberta, Canada.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:07 PM

2016 C300 4matic
UPDATE: I had a welcome light in the passenger door handle that was burned out. The Drivers side door handle light was turning purple. I knew about both of these issues before I did the headlight swap. Those were covered under warranty so I took the car in and had the dealer replace them. Later that same day I was going out and I got a code saying "Check Low Beam" so I got out and seen the drivers side 'Eyebrow' was slowly blinking on and off. I turned the car off, opened the hood, pushed the clip that holds the electrical plug forward releasing the plug from the headlight, unplugged the light, waited for 10 minutes, plugged it back in and started it up. Eyebrow turns blue then white just like its supposed to do, blinkers work, highbeam, fog light, everything's good. Got back in the car and no error code.
I'm thinking when the Dealer changed out the door lights it had something to do with the headlight and unplugging the headlight and plugging it back in reset it. That was about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've driven in the cold, through the rain, driven through the massive pothole ridden streets that Michigan passses off as a road (ie vibration torture test), been to the quarter car wash and sprayed off the road dirt then hand washed and waxed the car and haven't had any problems. So I'd say if that if you haven't already, try unplugging the light, wait 10 minutes and plugging it back in and see if that works.
On a side note, I did email seller and told them what happened and they emailed me back the same day and told me that I shouldn't have anymore problems, but if I do they will send out a new ballast at no charge and the 1 year warranty is still good.
Hope this helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Trappers101:
BareQs (03-27-2019), Lj Besong (01-06-2020)
Old 03-26-2019, 09:54 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Trappers101
UPDATE: I had a welcome light in the passenger door handle that was burned out. The Drivers side door handle light was turning purple. I knew about both of these issues before I did the headlight swap. Those were covered under warranty so I took the car in and had the dealer replace them. Later that same day I was going out and I got a code saying "Check Low Beam" so I got out and seen the drivers side 'Eyebrow' was slowly blinking on and off. I turned the car off, opened the hood, pushed the clip that holds the electrical plug forward releasing the plug from the headlight, unplugged the light, waited for 10 minutes, plugged it back in and started it up. Eyebrow turns blue then white just like its supposed to do, blinkers work, highbeam, fog light, everything's good. Got back in the car and no error code.
I'm thinking when the Dealer changed out the door lights it had something to do with the headlight and unplugging the headlight and plugging it back in reset it. That was about 3 weeks ago. Since then I've driven in the cold, through the rain, driven through the massive pothole ridden streets that Michigan passses off as a road (ie vibration torture test), been to the quarter car wash and sprayed off the road dirt then hand washed and waxed the car and haven't had any problems. So I'd say if that if you haven't already, try unplugging the light, wait 10 minutes and plugging it back in and see if that works.
On a side note, I did email seller and told them what happened and they emailed me back the same day and told me that I shouldn't have anymore problems, but if I do they will send out a new ballast at no charge and the 1 year warranty is still good.
Hope this helps.
Nice update... but I am worry that the blinking DRL indicates possible condensation inside of the headlight. you may want to double check~
Old 01-06-2020, 01:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
c300
Hey Trappers, have you had any issues with this product this past year?
Old 01-06-2020, 03:28 PM

2016 C300 4matic
Lights

Before installing I removed the metal covers on each ballast and used RTV rubber to seal each one to prevent water from getting in.
STILL no problems with the headlights and still glad I swapped them out.
Ron P Baker (01-06-2020)