C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Keyless Go not working!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C400
Keyless Go not working!

All of a sudden.....actually that’s a lie. After my wife used my car for a day keyless go completely stopped working. I can unlock / lock the doors with the buttons in the key but it seems the car has no idea the key is close or inside the car. Anyone else have that issue? I replaced the batteries in both keys
Old 04-14-2019, 02:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,100 Likes on 806 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
If you're key fob's are working - the remove the keyless go button from the ignition (it pulls straight out) insert the blunt end of the fob and start the car and turn it off - then put keyless button back in - and push button/start (may have to do this twice) - and once the car starts with the button you "should" be back in business.

Next time when you replace key batteries - if not a 2019 - make sure you use CR2025 - and get Panasonic as preferred brand - $3.00 on Amazon gets you 5.. with 4-5 yr shelf life..
Old 04-14-2019, 10:13 AM

C400
I’ve tried that too with no luck. Maybe I’ll check the batteries I have?
Old 10-01-2019, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MB C180 2012 Model
Originally Posted by j0hn galt
All of a sudden.....actually that’s a lie. After my wife used my car for a day keyless go completely stopped working. I can unlock / lock the doors with the buttons in the key but it seems the car has no idea the key is close or inside the car. Anyone else have that issue? I replaced the batteries in both keys
Hello j0hn galt, were you able to solve this. I have a similar problem with my car.
Old 10-01-2019, 08:06 AM

C400
Originally Posted by Alfred Ackon
Hello j0hn galt, were you able to solve this. I have a similar problem with my car.
No and haven’t had a chance to bring it to the dealer yet either
Old 10-01-2019, 08:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300
Not sure if this is causing it but If you use your key fob to lock the car, pushing lock twice will disable keyless go the next time you try to open the doors.
Old 10-01-2019, 11:17 AM

MB C180 2012 Model
Originally Posted by j0hn galt
No and haven’t had a chance to bring it to the dealer yet either
Oh I see. In my case i have two keys/remote which came with the car. Only one of them, the one i have been using since I got the car, just started misbehaving. The other key still works fine which leads me to think the problem is with that particular key. What I am not sure of is what is wrong with that key. It is able to lock and unlock the car and even open the trunk using the buttons on it but for some reason, the car cannot detect it when i touch the doors or when i press the push start button (whilst the key is inside).

Last edited by Alfred Ackon; 10-01-2019 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:20 PM

Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts
2018 C43
When I dropped my fob, the remote windows and roof auto down/up stopped working. I bet your wife did this and isn't telling you lol.
Old 10-30-2020, 08:47 PM

S500L w220.175
Related question:

Short version: Does a short-circuit in one of the sensors in a door disable Keyless Go?

Longer version: I’ve owned a W220.175 (2003 facelift model) for 6 months and Keyless Go hasn’t worked in that time – same for the previous owner I understand. It has an error code “S48b1 (FR door capacitance sensor): short circuit to ground.” Given that this is associated with Keyless Go, I wonder if this could explain why it’s not working- in which case, I’m willing to take the chance to replace the door handle mechanism to see if that gets things working- but I want to check if that's a plausible solution before spending $$$. (Right now, if I approach the car with my key and pull the handle, the dash reads “key not recognized”. Both key fobs are single battery- which I understand means compatible with keyless go? The car came with the keyless go option [889]). [The other option is paying the dealer to check that the keys are programmed properly, I guess.]

Any advice most welcome.
Old 02-13-2021, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 127 Likes on 96 Posts
2010 C63 2019 GLA45
I'm, reading in the GLA45 forum that for keyless go, when in proximity, the car gets ready to start. The authorization system may be running and keeping the fob up and connected. there could be a drain even in the car's battery.

Old 04-30-2022, 11:57 AM

SL63 AMG
I just ordered another key (my car only came with one) from the MB dealership. It took a few days to arrive, and when I went to pick up the car from service (and get the new key) I noticed the new key wouldn't work using Keyless Go.

I am able to put the key in and turn it to start the car, and it also can be used to lock/unlock the doors, but that's about it.

The person at the dealership who would have been able to help sort this out had already left for the day, so it seems likely that I'll need to bring the car/key back to Service next week.

I never knew that hitting the lock button twice would disable keyless go. Although, I usually do click the lock button twice (force of habit), and any time I return to the car (with the original key that does work) I never have an issue with Keyless Go not working or being disabled.

My 2012 SL63 doesn't have the push button cover that goes over the ignition, so maybe this double keypress isn't relevant to my model?

I haven't found a fix for this second key issue yet.

If anyone has any recommendations of other things to try, please let me know.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:28 PM

2012 SL550
I own a 2012 Sl550. i got a message on my instrument panel saying change battery and a key icon. i went out out and purchased some Panasonic CR2025 batteries and preceded to change them out. The Keyless Go functions stopped working. I could push the key fob buttons, unlock, lock and trunk open and they would work, but when i tried to open a locked door or tried to start the car without the key in the ignition i a a "key not recognized" message on the instrument panel. Now here's the kicker, if i put the old battery back into either fob, i have two, every thing works fine but i get the change battery and key icon! i've tried several different Panasonic batteries. I even bought a pair from my local MB Dealer. Any Clues? This is driving me insane!
Old 07-13-2022, 07:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,602 Likes on 2,212 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by sal870
I own a 2012 Sl550. i got a message on my instrument panel saying change battery and a key icon. i went out out and purchased some Panasonic CR2025 batteries and preceded to change them out. The Keyless Go functions stopped working. I could push the key fob buttons, unlock, lock and trunk open and they would work, but when i tried to open a locked door or tried to start the car without the key in the ignition i a a "key not recognized" message on the instrument panel. Now here's the kicker, if i put the old battery back into either fob, i have two, every thing works fine but i get the change battery and key icon! i've tried several different Panasonic batteries. I even bought a pair from my local MB Dealer. Any Clues? This is driving me insane!
Did you try non Panasonic batteries, for example Sony? I never had problem with Sony, keep in mind there are actually a lot of fake Sony ones floating around including those sold on Amazon.