C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

No Drill, No mount, No tow hook, License Plate mounting ( W/pICS !)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts
C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
No Drill, No mount, No tow hook, License Plate mounting ( W/pICS !)

Just wanted to share this cool mod for those who hate front mounting their plates and destroying their clean aesthetic look.

I wasn’t too thrilled about the drilling holes in the front bumper and didn’t like the protruding look of the OEM license plate mount on the front as it stands out like a zit.

So I decided to use 3M double sided spoiler tape (rated at over 130 degrees hot and below freezing temps) and some careful bending, folding and molding of the aluminum license plate ( I had a spare “practice plate” to experiment on).

The trick is to find the right type of VHB tape, and to pre-prep the mounting surfaces to a pristine almost decontaminated finish so that there are no particles, grease, dust, grime or buildup between contact surfaces.

It’s a Bad and good thing that the AMG bumper has a lot of complex curves, dips and creases on the front, looks good but not the best for wanting to stick on a plate, so I had to be very diligent with the folding and molding.

I also creased and folded the bottom part of the plate over and toward the back to provide a smaller visual appearance, without cutting off the numbers and letters (yes I did blur them out :- P )

I’ve been in 20 degree weather, 110 degree weather and rain and snow and up to 100 mph for almost 1 year now…and its holding firm and solid. As a extra safety measure and as a “just in case” I have zip ties inserted into the license plate holes (on the folded part) and attached into the grill in a loop ( I made sure this cannot be seen).

I hope this can provide hope to those don’t want to drill and those who HAVE to have front plates in their states.

Last edited by SilverBullet18; 08-15-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-16-2019, 08:34 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2018 C43, White with Red interior
Looks great !
May i ask what kind of front spoiler is that and where you got it ?
Old 08-16-2019, 12:46 PM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
Its OEM Carlsson front lip ( not cheap ), there are some replicas out there but I don’t trust the fit and finish.

Received it from overseas….wanted the front end to have a completely different and aggressive yet clean look.
Old 08-16-2019, 12:52 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 Mercedes C300
When you have to remove the plate, doesn't such a strong adhesive tape remove the paint as well?
Old 08-16-2019, 12:59 PM

C450,GLC 63,VW GTI
People have removed spoilers, lips and skirts for years without removing paint. It would be similar to de-badging the car.

I did the same thing to my VW years ago,,,just do it on a very hot day or use a low temp heat gun and fishing line to "saw" off the glue and just clean up.

you can look at youtube videos on De-badging to see what im talking about. Also...OEM Mercedes clearcoat is very high quality and a hard ( i.e. very resilient).