C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Replacing headlight cover...a DYI

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 320
Replacing headlight cover...a DYI

Got a crack after someone kicked up rubber on the freeway. Nasty crack in the cover. Seems like it should be a fairly easy job to replace, but I'd like to hear from people who have done it. I hear rumor that special glue is needed. Is that true?
Old 08-27-2019, 01:22 AM

Received 237 Likes on 164 Posts
W203 W212 W211 R53MCS
Have you checked if the cover is available separate?? I don't think it is.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:51 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
The covers are available, just not from mb. I bought replacements on amazon to fix my old, broken headlight as well. It's not so much that you need a special glue but the proper silicone sealant or 3M headlight sealant tape/putty. I've found some videos online but haven't actually repaired my headlight yet so I can't speak to the difficulty.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:04 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
Chinese replacement lenses are available on ebay for about £50 UK, perfect fit, only missing the tiny MB logo. Probably easier if you remove the front bumper to get the headlight out but it is possible to remove with only loosening half the bumper but remember to put plenty of masking tape in the area to avoid any scratches. Once out you'll need a hot air gun to soften the black mastic holding the lens in place. It's easier removing a broken lens because you don't have to worry about damaging it. Pry it out with a screwdriver little by little keeping the mastic warm. Once out, use the heat gun to help you scrape out the old mastic. The lens is also attached by some spring clips which will help when fixing back the new lens. Underneath there are two stainless steel clips which need to be removed, if you do break the slots they fit into they can be reattached with a self tapping screw. I used black silicone sealant to attach the new lens. I left it until the next day to refit to the car to give time for the sealant to set. Lots of wriggling about should get the unit back in the car. I used some wooden blocks to keep the bumper pushed away from the car, easier with someone to help you. When I broke my headlight, it wasn't til it was out of the car that I noticed two of the three mounting lugs were broken so I had to fix them as well.
The following users liked this post:
DylanM (08-27-2019)
Old 08-27-2019, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Where's the DIY???
The following users liked this post:
DylanM (08-27-2019)
Old 08-28-2019, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CLK 320
Originally Posted by chrisdean
Chinese replacement lenses are available on ebay for about £50 UK, perfect fit, only missing the tiny MB logo. Probably easier if you remove the front bumper to get the headlight out but it is possible to remove with only loosening half the bumper but remember to put plenty of masking tape in the area to avoid any scratches. Once out you'll need a hot air gun to soften the black mastic holding the lens in place. It's easier removing a broken lens because you don't have to worry about damaging it. Pry it out with a screwdriver little by little keeping the mastic warm. Once out, use the heat gun to help you scrape out the old mastic. The lens is also attached by some spring clips which will help when fixing back the new lens. Underneath there are two stainless steel clips which need to be removed, if you do break the slots they fit into they can be reattached with a self tapping screw. I used black silicone sealant to attach the new lens. I left it until the next day to refit to the car to give time for the sealant to set. Lots of wriggling about should get the unit back in the car. I used some wooden blocks to keep the bumper pushed away from the car, easier with someone to help you. When I broke my headlight, it wasn't til it was out of the car that I noticed two of the three mounting lugs were broken so I had to fix them as well.
Thank you! That's a very detailed answer. Do you think it would be easier to remove the whole unit instead?
Old 08-28-2019, 01:54 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
You've got to remove the headlight from the car, you can either do it the easy way and completely remove the bumper or the hard way by loosening the bumper on the affected side and wriggling the unit out. You can't replace the lens in situ.
Old 08-29-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
Removing the headlight really isn't hard. Takes about 10-15 minutes max once you know what you're doing. I only loosened the side of the bumper I needed to move. BUT, I recommend placing masking/painting tape around the opening for the headlight to protect the paint on the bumper if you choose to leave the bumper on. It's very easy to nick and damage it.