C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Head Up Display misplaced after new windshield

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2019 | 04:04 PM

W205
Head Up Display misplaced after new windshield

Hi,

I have just had my windshield replaced as I got a small crack in it.

After the replacement I noticed the Head Up Display (HUD) hight have changed slightly. It's difficult to say how much, but maybe just 20-30%, as the round the speedometer is slightly oval.
The up/down position on the windshield can be adjusted. But not it can not be adjusted low enough. So I have to adjust it to the lowest position while having the seat in the highest position. But still it not possible to place the HUD so it just flows over the bonnet.

The windshield is not an original Mercedes, but I have been guaranteed that it should have all the specification similar to a Mercedes original device.

Do any one know if there are any adjustment posibilities, apart from the hight position and light intensity which is present under the standard HUD settings?
Maybe it is possible to do a calibration of the HUD?
Or is there anyone who have experienced anything similar?

For me it seems the angle on the windshield could be different, but that tricky to say, as I haven't anything to compare to.

Regards
Niels Christian
The following users liked this post:
Justinya007 (08-08-2021)
Old 09-12-2019 | 11:56 PM

2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
I wouldn't trust an aftermarket windshield when things like HUDs and/or camera/radar systems are involved.

If you look at an online catalog such as ILCATS - C300 Windshield you will see that there are many windshield part numbers depending on the options your car has installed. Some of those windshields show they will work with the HUD (Option code 463) and some of them do not.

It sounds like you got one that's not 100% compatible. The glass needs to be semi reflective in order to properly display the HUD image, and it's likely the windshield you received doesn't have the necessary coating.
dwpc (09-13-2019)
Old 09-13-2019 | 09:00 AM

W205
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.

The windshield is marked to be HUD compatible. The projection is also sharp and fine and I don't have any "ghost" on the text either, so I guess I have the right transflective design.
I will try to look-up the windshield. I guess that there is an online specification to be found if I just get the specific type number. Thanks for the tip!
Old 09-15-2019 | 08:16 AM

c220
Calibration of HUD display

Originally Posted by NCSH
Hi,

After the replacement I noticed the Head Up Display (HUD) hight have changed slightly. It's difficult to say how much, but maybe just 20-30%, as the round the speedometer is slightly oval.
The up/down position on the windshield can be adjusted. But not it can not be adjusted low enough. So I have to adjust it to the lowest position while having the seat in the highest position. But still it not possible to place the HUD so it just flows over the bonnet.

The windshield is not an original Mercedes, but I have been guaranteed that it should have all the specification similar to a Mercedes original device.

Do any one know if there are any adjustment posibilities, apart from the hight position and light intensity which is present under the standard HUD settings?

For me it seems the angle on the windshield could be different, but that tricky to say, as I haven't anything to compare to.

Regards
Niels Christian
Hi it is possible to adjust a lot of settings of this display in addition to the basic ones that are available in the users menu. The "engineering mode" needs to be selected.

Pete
diamondsilver16 (09-15-2019)
Old 09-18-2019 | 03:38 AM

W205
Originally Posted by guzzit3
Hi it is possible to adjust a lot of settings of this display in addition to the basic ones that are available in the users menu. The "engineering mode" needs to be selected.

Pete

Tried to enter the enginnering mode. (Vehicle settings -> System settings -> hold control whell to left), but could only get a menu like the one below. Which do not contain any usefull setting.

I can see that others have a different enginnering mode like the one presented on youtube
. Maybe my COMAND software is just too old. The car is a C250D from 2015, but manufactured in 2014.

Last edited by NCSH; 09-18-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-08-2021 | 03:04 AM

2018 E43 AMG, 2018 GLC 300 4MATIC, 2015 C300 4MATIC
Hi,
Thanks for your feedback.

The windshield is marked to be HUD compatible. The projection is also sharp and fine and I don't have any "ghost" on the text either, so I guess I have the right transflective design.
I will try to look-up the windshield. I guess that there is an online specification to be found if I just get the specific type number. Thanks for the tip!
Hi,

Regards
Niels Christian
How did you manage to fix it?
Old 08-09-2021 | 05:40 AM

W205
Originally Posted by Justinya007
How did you manage to fix it?
Nope - had to accept the reduced performance.
Old 08-09-2021 | 11:03 PM

W205 AMG
you can adjust your HUD setting by accessing the service menu in the instrument cluster. This is the same menu used to reset the assyst plus system after a service and to retract the e-park brake for a rear brake pad replacement.
Old 08-19-2021 | 06:15 PM

2020 C300
It took me 4 trips to get the right windshield when the one in my 2016 cracked. I would bring the car back and demand OEM glass. That's what I had to do. And I had to sit with the parts order to make sure they picked the right one. I think there were 8 different glass types available at the time.